Back to Introduction to English Common Law

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to English Common Law by University of London

The common law of England and Wales is one of the major global legal traditions. This MOOC will give you an introduction to this influential legal system including its history, constitutional background, sources and institutions. You’ll learn about the different ways in which laws are made and interpreted, the English court system and the increasing importance of European Union and human rights law. Now is an especially exciting time to be learning about English common law, given the potential changes that lie ahead in today’s political, economic and social environment – all these pose challenges to and opportunities for the law. Each week we’ll focus on one aspect of English common law, using video lectures, readings, discussion questions and activities to enable you to learn about and evaluate key issues. Whether undertaken as a standalone course, or as preparation for the University of London’s world-class LLB degree, you will find this course interesting and stimulating. Please note that participation in or completion of this online course will not confer academic credit for University of London programmes....

FA

A comprehensive introduction to English Law. The lecturers outline things in a very clear manner and the readings cover the topic well. The quizzes are quite demanding. It is a very enjoyable course.

HJ
Jun 3, 2019

This course is a well designed one. It provides us a good comprehensive guide on the legal practice in England. I'm grateful to the designers of the course and 2 lecturers for presenting us this.

51 - 75 of 385 Reviews for Introduction to English Common Law

By Nathan D

Fantastic introduction to English Common Law. Final module probably required stronger link and explanation to ECL rather than focusing on the supranational nature of EU itself. Was, however, more interesting as module linked to European law, Human Rights and the ECL.

By Olivia S

Aug 15, 2021

A​n excellent introduction to the English Common Law. Both the instructors are very thorough and yet, very accessible. This course has given me a solid understanding of the English law and will, no doubt, benefit me when I start law school this September. Thank you!

By Care E

May 14, 2019

I really like that there a variety of different mediums at play: videos, readings and discussions, that get the student to engage. By providing optional materials, you also encourage us to go down the rabbit holes and learn more about our legal interests. Well done.

By Ravji D P

Jul 28, 2020

Outstandingly engaging lectures that are very helpful in building knowledge and understanding about English common law including Magna Carta, the court hierarchy, the doctrine of the case law, European Union, Human Rights 1998 Act and the British Bill of Rights.

By Andy K H V

I took this MOOC as a taster before applying to the LLB from UOL. This is a great introduction to law but I believe supplementary textbooks give a better idea of what law in academia requires and I definitely recommend it to people aiming for a career in law.

By Sheshaddri M G

Jun 1, 2021

A great way to learn the basics of English Common Law. The videos were short yet informative, and the lecturers did a good job of explaining the content well. The reading material provided was excellent and the additional resources were great as well.

By Sandro S

May 21, 2021

Loved learning on Coursera to polish my skills and become better! Very thorough learning experience however some minor areas could use a revamp, as time has changed some facts. Especially about the Brexit issue. However, I am grateful for the course!

By Madhu B S

Jun 28, 2020

It was a comprehensive leaning experience to know and learn about the ins and outs of the English common law system. The course was well structured for a beginner or a even a non law student to understand the works of the English common law system.

By Peter T C W

Jul 16, 2020

The course layout is good and the quiz and assignment makes us appreciate more of the content and subject. Inspire a level of maturity and understanding into our thoughts and opinions helps to understand the standards and quality of the course.

By Eleanor S

Feb 22, 2021

A very well explained course that provided a great insight into studying law. You have sparked my interest in the profession and encouraged me to learn more! The assignments were manageable and helped to ensure you understood the content.

By Romeo T

May 9, 2020

I am satisfied with my decision to take this course. It was very professionally delivered, well thought out, and maintained the students' best interest.

Excellent delivery!

I am more informed and have gotten my money's worth.

Thank you!

By Anna B S D

é um curso extremamente rico e que vai muito além das informações sobre Common Law. Ele traz uma base histórica e desvenda aspectos políticos e legais de um sistema judicial reconhecido e apreciado pelo mundo todo. Vale super à pena!

By Malik I

May 12, 2019

The Couse syllabi are very knowledgeable for general students for learning English Legal system and about the super-national organization, European Union, the purposes for creation and control for the people of the European Union.

By Maria K

Sep 24, 2019

Excellent! Dynamic and structured course. It definitely has given me a solid foundation in understanding the English legal system. Thank you to all the creators and to Coursera for making the course available for free!

By Angel L (

Dec 31, 2020

Excellent course! Highly recommended! Congratulations and respect to the professors because they have succeeded in teaching so many wonderful things in so little time! Thank you very much! Love and respect!

By GRIGORIA G

I have enjoyed this course. The modules are very well organised keeping the balance between the principal concepts, required information and extra material for further knowledge. I wish there was aPart II!

By Matthew P

A really solid set of videos and resources covering some very interesting topics in clear and concise ways. A great introduction to both the common law system of the UK and the UK constitutional framework.

By Utyuzh E

Jul 3, 2019

Very strong course with excellent structure, organisation of material and system of check of knowledge. It gives very useful key information and stimulates self-training. It inspires to further challenges.

By Ester P

May 2, 2020

I´m grateful for learning in this course. Everything on this course is helping me with the completion on my doctoral thesis. And today, I have a better vision of Common Law and much to write about it.

By Julia M

Mar 23, 2019

If you want to know something useful about English common law, this course will be perfect for you! Teachers are adorable, the material is understandable and interesting. This course id worth learning

By Дмитрий С

Jul 30, 2020

That course is really nice, i have got background in "english common law" from University, however i found new interesting information and court practice. I have enjoyed learning in this course.

By David F

Sep 28, 2021

Excellent basic level course. It is what I needed. It allowed me to learn a lot not only about English Common Law or about the British government, but also about law in general. Thank you!!

By Lina G

Dec 3, 2020

This course is really interesting and i liked it a lot. It took me some time to complete it since i wasnt aware of the duration but overall its a very good course for beginners like me.

By Pablo G R

Jun 15, 2020

Muy buenas profesoras y profesionales del derecho. Aprendí mucho sobre como es el sistema del common law y de qué manera trabajan los operadores jurídicos en el sistema legal inglés.

By Ana C C M d B

Sep 18, 2020

It was very nice to learn about a different system, I just knew de civil law and now I know the common law too and the course made me to have a will to learn more about this.