Back to Code Yourself! An Introduction to Programming

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Code Yourself! An Introduction to Programming by The University of Edinburgh

Have you ever wished you knew how to program, but had no idea where to start from? This course will teach you how to program in Scratch, an easy to use visual programming language. More importantly, it will introduce you to the fundamental principles of computing and it will help you think like a software engineer....

ED
Apr 4, 2016

the course is what the name says it is, an introduction to programming, great course for any code beginner. Lecturer is doing amazing job and keeping the lectures interesting, easy and understandable.

EA
Jun 3, 2020

for a total beginner in coding, this course was the perfect start! It was easy to understand, and easy to program (coding wit already?)\n\nThank you so much for offering such a wonderful way to learn!

51 - 75 of 898 Reviews for Code Yourself! An Introduction to Programming

By Sabrina S

May 16, 2020

I loved this course. It's perfect for beginners to get a basic understanding of how programming works: You will learn about general concepts and basics that are essential for programming (from user documentations to iterations), you will gain an understanding of how to approach new programming projects, how to modify, test and debug programs, and so much more. And all of this new knowledge is taught to you in a playful and fun way: By writing your own little games and programs from week one! A very hands-on course. I really liked that! Also, Dr. Areti Manataki's passion for programming is highly infectious and inspiring! The course is well structured, and I can really recommend it to everyone who wants to dip a toe in the water and introduce themselves to programming :-)

By Angel N

Great course! Lessons were very well planned out in small steps for beginners and it really did introduce me to programming. For someone who has no background but interested to learn a new skill it is very informative. However it would be good to combine the videos into longer videos (ie 10 mins) instead of 1-2 mins or even like seconds as I have to keep clicking the next video. Interviews with people in the industry is very interesting as well. It would be good to learn other programming languages too as Scratch does seem like a really basic program for learning.

By Christina P

Jul 9, 2021

The only thing I didn't like was the peer review. I submitted work with all the appropriate instructions and content but was marked down by several users that couldn't see/hear the content yet the others that reviewed was able to see this content. Giving me a 50% on my 1st project. Even on my 2nd project 1 person was marking me for content that was there that others had seen. This gives a false hope of doing things right or people upset that you did a possible good job yet they mark you down so you don't get a good grade.

By Luis G

Jul 15, 2021

G​reat course, very useful as tool to learn the fundamentals of programming & software development, especially for beginners. I enjoyed the video approach and "follow-along" way of learning, and I picked up a lot of key concepts throughout the course. I've already started and completed other programming courses on Coursera since I finished "Code Yourself", and I'm finding a lot of concepts much easier to understand now that I have this base knowledge.

T​hank you & congratulations on your well-run programme!

By Shaurya R

Jun 4, 2020

The application provided along with the course ( scratch ) is extremly helpful. Especially , the code palletes make the whole process of coding and learning enjoyable. Areti is a fantastic teacher and explained all concepts lucidly. Only improvement I can suggest is delete button on sprite can be placed prudently awayso that learners don't delete the whole code by mistake. Overall, I would recommend this course to all the learners. Thanks to the course makers and Coursera.

By Aditya J

Jun 25, 2020

I loved this course and according to me this is the best course if you are new to programming world.I also got a certificate after completing this awesome and full of fun course and I thank the whole course team and especially Areti Mam for this and my whole journey.This course helped me in clearing my basics and created my interest in the wide field of Computer Science and programming.Thank you so much for all the marvelous stuff and valuable certificate!

By أحمد ا

Aug 20, 2020

I knew nothing about programming before this course, it gave a good idea about the concepts and its applications. the short quizzes during lectures where very useful and the assignments made me deeply understand all the concepts I studied in this course.

If you're a total beginner I highly recommend you check this course, however if you have a decent background in programming, then this might be too simple and primitive for you.

By jacinda r

Jan 11, 2021

I really enjoyed the course. It took me a bit to get my brain working in the right direction, as I think artistically rather than linear like the program, but I got through it and had fun (and struggled a bit) doing the programs and games. The teachers were great and all the feedback from the other students for the assignments was very helpful and useful. This course makes me want to keep learning about coding.

By Anh T

Awesome!! It's fun and really easy to follow. Scratch is also friendly to beginners. The video presentation provides a very good flow of the basic terms while the bonus interviews give us practical insights into the real world of programmers. I have no background of computer programming. As an absolute beginner, I find it really useful and inspiring. Now I'm moving on to Python. Thank you!! Muchas gracias!!

By Virgil Z T

Jan 15, 2021

Great introduction to programming, especially if you've never tried it (with experience it's also interesting, a bit different approach than classical console mode algorithm based ones). Many of object oriented concepts, basic structures, loops, variable, methods, class and object -like things will be familiar later on so. Amusing challenges, well designed courses, real life interviews.

By Baskar S

May 15, 2020

Before starting this course i was a complete beginner in coding, now i am very much clear on the basic programming. Course is well structured and starting from very basic to advanced stage. Quality of the videos were good, Instructor is clearly explaining the concept with real life examples. For any one interested in learning programming and mindset, this is the right course to begin.

By Setin T M

May 23, 2021

Very good course for people with 0 coding background. It explains the fundamentals really well and by using Scratch, it makes it easy to focus on the logic, rather than coding syntax, which I believe is an invaluable advantage for a newbie. Very glad to have taken part in this course and an honest thank you and congrats to the teachers. Very well structured and a joy to follow along.

By MD Z S

Jun 4, 2020

This course is all I can say an amazing course that creates a thirst for learning new programming languages after finishing this course. The course instructor is in one word fantabulous. The way she taught is totally fun and all apprentices definitely would enjoy. Thank you miss and a strongly recommended course for beginners who have zero or less idea about programming language.

By Erica P

Aug 9, 2020

I really enjoyed the course. It has wonderful step-by-step videos that get students creating fun games, and Areti (the instructor) is a terrific speaker and very informative. There are two projects that get peer-reviewed, but they were really fun to code and grade. Seeing the various ways in which other students solved the same problems were helpful in learning Scratch.

By Cierra K

Moved on from this to explore coding in HTML, Python and C++. This course is very simple and uses a simplified coding script to learn the basics for absolute beginners. It gives a solid foundation to learn about programming and coding. As a visual learner I found it especially helpful to learn via Scratch coding and thought it was a great tool to understand the basics.

By Anvithraj R B

Jun 8, 2020

I knew how to code a bit from the start, but I wanted to know more about the different aspects of programming and also learn something about software developmental procedures.

This course helped me start on the right path and now, I look forward to more programming! Thanks to the University of Edinburgh and Universidad ORT Uruguay for creating such a good course.

By Lisa

This course was informative and used a simple programming language - Scratch, to introduce us to various programming terms and software engineering practices. This would be a great course for someone who has no knowledge of programming at all. Professor Areti is enthusiastic in her teaching and I enjoyed her lessons. Thank you for this course!

By umaiorubagan

Aug 30, 2020

I learn so many skills in this course. I think this course useful to many people who are starting to learn a basic program and what are the requirements they need to develop a program and how to correct the errors in the program. they learn in this course. I think this course was very useful to so many peoples. who are interested in a program

By sarthak s

Jun 7, 2020

"This is the first time I have attended a class in this format and wondered how effective it would be. It was very effective and therefore I would definitely be interested in attending other classes in the same format. The instructor was very knowlegeable and provided a wealth of information about the current version

Thank You !!!!

By Dottie P

Sep 5, 2020

I enjoyed the course. I've learned something that I have never done before. Week 5 project I struggled with but got it done. The only thing I think could be a little better is when you have questions a staff member addresses it also, not just your peers. They might be struggling with the same problem & getting no answers also.

By Anika

May 14, 2020

This course is super fun! I rate this 5 stars cause this really helped me learn some new concepts in coding, so I can create my own projects using the concepts that I learned. This course is made for anyone who is new to coding. I would definitely recommend the course if you are looking for a good course to learn some coding.

By Rene O J

Aug 26, 2017

This is a really good way to quickly get introduced to algorithmic thinking and how code is constructed without having to learn the tedious syntax of actually writing code lines. The instructional videos are brief and to the point and Scratch is a super tool to practice in. I can only recommend it for the budding programmer.

By JHutton

May 27, 2018

Great introduction course to start the first steps towards programming at any age. Course is well structured, teacher is great ! quizzes, homework and projects are fun and motivating. Not particularily time consuming if you stick to the requirements and you can choose to spend more time and have more fun with the projects.

By Barry H

Feb 7, 2017

Really great course. I had no programming experience whatsoever before this (I had not even read a book on the subject) but I found this course fun and taught at a good pace. Scratch is a really good tool to learn the basics of coding as it's very visual. I'm sure I'll carry on with a few projects now the course is over.

By Luvia M

Jan 24, 2016

This is the first time that I've taken a course just for the fun and engagement it provides. For years I've tried to learn programming and have found the courses and books rather intimidating and/or boring. This course is fun, practical and certainly covers all the basics. Thank you for demystifying this subject for me!