Back to Introduction to Self-Driving Cars

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to Self-Driving Cars by University of Toronto

Welcome to Introduction to Self-Driving Cars, the first course in University of Toronto’s Self-Driving Cars Specialization. This course will introduce you to the terminology, design considerations and safety assessment of self-driving cars. By the end of this course, you will be able to: - Understand commonly used hardware used for self-driving cars - Identify the main components of the self-driving software stack - Program vehicle modelling and control - Analyze the safety frameworks and current industry practices for vehicle development For the final project in this course, you will develop control code to navigate a self-driving car around a racetrack in the CARLA simulation environment. You will construct longitudinal and lateral dynamic models for a vehicle and create controllers that regulate speed and path tracking performance using Python. You’ll test the limits of your control design and learn the challenges inherent in driving at the limit of vehicle performance. This is an advanced course, intended for learners with a background in mechanical engineering, computer and electrical engineering, or robotics. To succeed in this course, you should have programming experience in Python 3.0, familiarity with Linear Algebra (matrices, vectors, matrix multiplication, rank, Eigenvalues and vectors and inverses), Statistics (Gaussian probability distributions), Calculus and Physics (forces, moments, inertia, Newton's Laws). You will also need certain hardware and software specifications in order to effectively run the CARLA simulator: Windows 7 64-bit (or later) or Ubuntu 16.04 (or later), Quad-core Intel or AMD processor (2.5 GHz or faster), NVIDIA GeForce 470 GTX or AMD Radeon 6870 HD series card or higher, 8 GB RAM, and OpenGL 3 or greater (for Linux computers)....

DP
Jul 27, 2020

This introduction course really helped me recalling all my basic learning. Really appreciate the Professor. It will definitely help me for enhancing my skills in the field of autonomous driving.

FA
Jun 27, 2020

This course is awesome ! This is one of the great courses for you who want to learn about self-driving cars for the first time. The assignments are challenging, especially the final project.

51 - 75 of 363 Reviews for Introduction to Self-Driving Cars

By Davide C

May 5, 2019

I appreciated this course because it explains the basics of autonomous driving, starting from simple concepts as automation level, sensors used, and then going deeply into longitudinal and lateral control for path planning.

By NGOC T L

Oct 15, 2020

This is the best course to step into self-driving car engineer. I have learned both the theory of SDC and do control the car on simulation platform CARLA. Thanks to the instructor and the team. Really enjoy the course.

By Matthias P

Jun 9, 2020

This is a fun course. High quality lecture videos and many options for further reading. The programming assignments are well thought out. Overall all the graded assignments are well designed to test your knowledge.

By Takuya O

Feb 5, 2020

Certain level of mathematics (e.g. Calculus, Linear Algebra, Differential equations) and programing experience in Python 3 are required, but the course is well designed and structured for beginners for this field.

By Raghavendra M E

Apr 20, 2020

The course is very well designed to cover all the basics of self-driving cars. This experience will definitely help me in exploring more possibilities. I definitely recommend this course for my students. Thanks

By Mohammad N M

Apr 25, 2020

Personally, It was an absolutely fascinating journey! Thanks to Steven for teaching me so much about autonomous driving! I look forward to next courses and I hope it can help me find the best job out there.

By Himanshu B

May 11, 2019

An awesome course with detailed knowledge of the lateral and longitudinal control of a self-driving car along with the mathematics behind. Got to learn about every aspect of a self-driving car engineer.

By Ahmed S

Sep 12, 2020

An excellent introduction to autonomous vehicles. It really aided me in my bachelor thesis project which was implmentating a lateral mpc controller. Oustanding explanation for the basics of this field.

By Dr. A P

Jul 28, 2020

By Fadillah A

Jun 28, 2020

By Gayathri S

Nov 16, 2020

It really is an involved course for those who are passionate about developing and the control models for the car. Im so proud of my first implementation of Self Driving car using CARLA!!

By Niket L

Nov 19, 2020

One of the best course in the present time. Gain lot of insight over the lateral and longitudinal movements of the vehicle. Looking forward for the further specialization.

By Naren B

Feb 17, 2019

This is really a good course to have an overview of self-driving cars development knowledge with great contents and project. Thank you so much for designing this course.

By Ayan C

Jun 14, 2020

Wonderful course. A bit advanced but since I have worked in ADAS it was a little easy for me. The quizzes were challenging and helped me understand the concepts better.

By RAKESH

Sep 1, 2019

Great learning experience with a lot of references and nicely designed projects to learn from. Look forward to diving deeper into the complete Self Driving Cars course.

By RIDDHISH K

Splendid course indeed!!! This course lets you know right from the basics concepts of self driving car and gradually teaches you complex stuffs !! It helped me a lot!!

By Milind S

Aug 27, 2020

Absolutely amazing course, the instructor's explaination is very good. Definitely recommend the course to those who wish to explore the domain of self driving cars.

By Nikhil R P

Great course!

offered conceptual understanding to the various concepts and later on hand on training to the modeling of vehicle controller with guided content.

By SALVADOR A G

Sep 5, 2020

Very challenging and complete course for the undestanding and development of Autonommous Vehicles. Glady surprised with the quality and level of engineering.

By DIPICA K T

Sep 15, 2020

This course has offered a great foundation to self driving cars,all the assignments and projects were useful and tested our understanding in that concept.

By Shumaila A

Jun 4, 2020

very comprehensive and well delivered. I was able to revisit many of my engineering concepts not only revising them but reinforcing the understanding too.

By Karthik B K

Jun 2, 2019

Exceptional Advanced Course that also provides the subtle basic nudges for everyone to comprehend as well. Really Delighted on taking this Course.

By Yoel R

Oct 30, 2019

Really good content. Even real stuff used auto industry. Forums not that good but I liked it a lot in general. Looking forward to the next one.

By Anatoly T

Sep 27, 2019

High quality material with clear explanations. Quantity and volume of supplementary reading kills me, but these articles/books are very useful.

By Jonathan C

Mar 27, 2020

I loved this course and learned a great deal about the in and outs of self-driving cars. I am definitely looking forward to the next courses.