Back to Introduction to Structured Query Language (SQL)

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to Structured Query Language (SQL) by University of Michigan

In this course, you'll walk through installation steps for installing a text editor, installing MAMP or XAMPP (or equivalent) and creating a MySql Database. You'll learn about single table queries and the basic syntax of the SQL language, as well as database design with multiple tables, foreign keys, and the JOIN operation. Lastly, you'll learn to model many-to-many relationships like those needed to represent users, roles, and courses....

NB
Apr 24, 2020

Great course. The amazing thing about the instructor is that you will find something new and exciting in every course and that's why I loved this course and the remaining courses offered by Dr. Chuck.

KH
Dec 2, 2018

Thank you for teaching assistants for helping me while I had questions and got stuck during the course. Thank you for Coursera and Dr Chuck and teaching assistants again for the opportunity to learn.

26 - 50 of 794 Reviews for Introduction to Structured Query Language (SQL)

By BIN C

Mar 20, 2018

Hi there, after learning and completing this SQL course, I have really learnt and understood what SQL is and its useful operations while I am a Health Informatics postgrad student who is also learning SQL and Access as key parts of my Health Data analysis, so this SQL Coursera course is really useful to enhance my future skills. Best regards.

By Yumei L

Mar 21, 2019

I learned a bit about SQL and databases in Dr. Chuck's Python courses -- that was enough to allow me to tinker with databases with no fear when I dabbled in Ruby on Rails. But this class really clarified a lot of things related to SQL and database management for me. For me it's been an easy course, but nonetheless I learned a HUGE amount.

By Nikola V

Apr 22, 2018

Great course for an introduction to SQL. Chuck goes into detail and combines the lessons with humour to make the lessons enjoyable. He also provides additional website and sources for further SQL knowledge (the website does this too). Additionally, the teachers are helpful and answer questions on the discussions forums promptly.

By JMF

Oct 29, 2017

I had a little SQL experience from Dr. Chuck's Py4E specialization, but I lacked a lot of confidence in what little I'd learned. This solidified it for me, and I've gained a lot of confidence and interest in SQL. Suddenly a lot of what I'd seen using Excel and Access in the past has made a lot of sense, too. Very cool stuff!

By Cynthia W

Apr 16, 2018

Charles Severance makes jumping in and learning new programming languages and ways of thought painless. I highly recommend any course he teaches. (I'm currently enrolled in three others.)

His organization, materials, and presentation are all top-notch. Online education that actually meets the potential of the idea.

By Tiffany D

Jul 3, 2018

Really excellent class. The professor breaks everything down and makes it easy to understand. Even with barely any programming experience (just HTML and CSS) in my past, I was able to fully grasp everything and feel like I can implement SQL into my professional life now, confidently. Thanks Dr. Chuck!

By Sayli P

May 7, 2020

this course is amazing i learned , how to install the xmamp and mamp also learn the basic CRUD command, variable character and many more database also saw how to design relational database and designing is really good .i love bonus point in which we meet with different learner and it motivate me

By David E

Jul 20, 2020

I really liked this course, Dr. Chuck is an amazing instructor. I did appreciate the SQL handout a lot, however, it would have been great to spend some more time on the basic commands at the beginning of the class. Overall highly recommended for people who want to get a basic knowledge of SQL.

By Dimitra M

Nov 22, 2020

I want to thank the instructor and the Universiyt of Michigan for this incredible course. There are many things to learn about the SQL DBMS and the databases but I strongly believe that this course provides you with a very good understanding of the basics (and more)!!

By Irana

Feb 2, 2018

Amazing method of instruction i have ever seen! Anyone can easily understand clearly the main concepts. I am deeply thankful to Mr. Charles Severance and all stuff working on this helpful outstanding course!

Irana Miriyeva, Senior IN/VAS/Billing Developer

By Tijani K

Dec 25, 2019

This is the first time I had a practical and very relatable explanation of SQL. I had read the textbook on Modern Database but couldn't wrap my head around most of the jargons and lingos of database but with this course, i have a very deep understanding.

By Missy S

Dec 7, 2017

This course is easy to understand, despite not having any background in programming or SQL. I also like how the instructor paced through the lessons (and his humor). This definitely encouraged me to pursue my interest to learn more about SQL.

By Mahira I J

Dec 15, 2020

Dr. Chuck is an amazing instructor! I feel lucky to have been able to learn from him even though it was through an online platform. Thanks a lot, Dr. Chuck! You really are the instructor I always wished I had in my own uni but never did T-T

By Shweta P

Apr 2, 2019

This is a really good online course on which we get detailed information about many SQL functions, relational database system and other tools.Instructor's knowledge about the subject is really very good. Thanks for such a amazing course.

By Jack R

Jun 3, 2020

Really great course - clear instructions, challenging, but still accessible, assignments. Passionate, articulate and very knowledgeable tutor. I now plan to go back and do the php module and then finish the entire course. Thanks!!!!

By Laurentiu A L

Feb 9, 2019

This course gives you a great basis and the necessary information you need in order to go ahead and proceed with gaining higher level expertise of SQL. Lectures are very comprehensive, and information is presented in an efficient way.

By Mustapha A

Mar 16, 2018

Really easy and fun way to get you started with SQL. Be carefull tough because with great SQL power comes great responsbility. And ow, before i forget: dont mention using email adresses as a key, it's kind of thing with the professor.

By REN S

May 1, 2018

I really like this course. Since I don't really have much experience of coding, learning SQL is very meaningful to me. Thanks to the professor, who is always making me love SQL. I love this magic language and I will work hard always!

By Jeon H S

Oct 21, 2018

Very concise. The whole lecture takes no more than 3 hours, yet still it teaches you all the necessary basics to start with. Highly recommended to those who want quick introduction to SQL and basic relational database concepts.

By Heli B

Jul 9, 2020

If you do not have a computer science background, this will be a good start to get the basics of or to get familiar with SQL. This course does not go in-depth, but gets you ready for an intermediate to advanced course on SQL.

By Akhil M

May 9, 2020

Found the material good and engaging. Kudos to the instructor for teaching it in a fun manner. You can easily brush up all the SQL related stuff you have studied and learn new things as well. Take the course. You'll Have Fun!

By Arvind S

Nov 11, 2017

Very good course for someone wanting to understand web development and databases. Also, a good segway to someone who wants to start into product management. Also, the videos are very self-explanatory and easy to understand.

By Ahmed M A

Jul 24, 2020

One of the Best, if not The BEST, SQL courses out there. No one is better than Dr. Charles to introduce you to an entirely new field to you and make you come out of the course with such trust in your new acquired skill.

By Lavon C I

Great course! I really enjoyed the personal touches from Dr. Chuck. He truly made you feel like you were a part of the course in person. The course was easy to follow along and worth it for those trying to learn SQL.

By Brandon A

Aug 23, 2018

This is an excellent class for anyone wanting to learn SQL. I had a broken understanding but now made clear with this class. I would start with this one first and then do PHP course one and then course 3 and then 4.