Back to Introduction to Structured Query Language (SQL)

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to Structured Query Language (SQL) by University of Michigan

In this course, you'll walk through installation steps for installing a text editor, installing MAMP or XAMPP (or equivalent) and creating a MySql Database. You'll learn about single table queries and the basic syntax of the SQL language, as well as database design with multiple tables, foreign keys, and the JOIN operation. Lastly, you'll learn to model many-to-many relationships like those needed to represent users, roles, and courses....

NB
Apr 24, 2020

Great course. The amazing thing about the instructor is that you will find something new and exciting in every course and that's why I loved this course and the remaining courses offered by Dr. Chuck.

KH
Dec 2, 2018

Thank you for teaching assistants for helping me while I had questions and got stuck during the course. Thank you for Coursera and Dr Chuck and teaching assistants again for the opportunity to learn.

26 - 50 of 865 Reviews for Introduction to Structured Query Language (SQL)

By Soh W K

Mar 28, 2018

Honestly, I didn't really know SQL could be so easy to learn! Dr. Chuck really did a great job in explaining it easily on converting the data into numbers for representation of data, so that the SQL database could quickly find the fields of information and re-construct it together with some really neat and cool commands.

After learning all those commands, I guarantee you feel like a Hacker! ^^

By Yu-Hsiang, W

Jul 14, 2020

It is my first course with Dr.Chuck and I will keep learning with him. Just like other members' review, he can explain in an easy-understanding way; even if I do not have databases background, I can understand and complete the course. SQL is powerful and just like a human language, I would like to learn the intermediate course and become excel in it. Welcome to learn this course.

By liu A

Jun 8, 2021

The professor really makes the content very easy to understand. I really feel the professor is a very interesting guy. A very good introduction to database if you have not learned it before. This course can help you to get familized with downloading sql, the basic structure and the multiple table connection in the database. Best of all!!! Good luck with your journey in self-study.

By Khaled A

Nov 30, 2020

If you are struggling to get practical with SQL, then this course is for you.

It teaches you what you need basically to start your journey in SQL and this is exactly what I needed to get practical. It does not teach the heavy theory or the heavy SQL commands but it gives you the foundation and with the foundation, you can keep learning everything else at ease.

By BIN C

Mar 20, 2018

Hi there, after learning and completing this SQL course, I have really learnt and understood what SQL is and its useful operations while I am a Health Informatics postgrad student who is also learning SQL and Access as key parts of my Health Data analysis, so this SQL Coursera course is really useful to enhance my future skills. Best regards.

By Yumei L

Mar 21, 2019

I learned a bit about SQL and databases in Dr. Chuck's Python courses -- that was enough to allow me to tinker with databases with no fear when I dabbled in Ruby on Rails. But this class really clarified a lot of things related to SQL and database management for me. For me it's been an easy course, but nonetheless I learned a HUGE amount.

By Nikola V

Apr 22, 2018

Great course for an introduction to SQL. Chuck goes into detail and combines the lessons with humour to make the lessons enjoyable. He also provides additional website and sources for further SQL knowledge (the website does this too). Additionally, the teachers are helpful and answer questions on the discussions forums promptly.

By JMF

Oct 29, 2017

I had a little SQL experience from Dr. Chuck's Py4E specialization, but I lacked a lot of confidence in what little I'd learned. This solidified it for me, and I've gained a lot of confidence and interest in SQL. Suddenly a lot of what I'd seen using Excel and Access in the past has made a lot of sense, too. Very cool stuff!

By Cynthia W

Apr 16, 2018

Charles Severance makes jumping in and learning new programming languages and ways of thought painless. I highly recommend any course he teaches. (I'm currently enrolled in three others.)

His organization, materials, and presentation are all top-notch. Online education that actually meets the potential of the idea.

By Tiffany D

Jul 3, 2018

Really excellent class. The professor breaks everything down and makes it easy to understand. Even with barely any programming experience (just HTML and CSS) in my past, I was able to fully grasp everything and feel like I can implement SQL into my professional life now, confidently. Thanks Dr. Chuck!

By Sayli P

May 7, 2020

this course is amazing i learned , how to install the xmamp and mamp also learn the basic CRUD command, variable character and many more database also saw how to design relational database and designing is really good .i love bonus point in which we meet with different learner and it motivate me

By David E

Jul 20, 2020

I really liked this course, Dr. Chuck is an amazing instructor. I did appreciate the SQL handout a lot, however, it would have been great to spend some more time on the basic commands at the beginning of the class. Overall highly recommended for people who want to get a basic knowledge of SQL.

By Dimitra M

Nov 22, 2020

I want to thank the instructor and the Universiyt of Michigan for this incredible course. There are many things to learn about the SQL DBMS and the databases but I strongly believe that this course provides you with a very good understanding of the basics (and more)!!

By Irana

Feb 2, 2018

Amazing method of instruction i have ever seen! Anyone can easily understand clearly the main concepts. I am deeply thankful to Mr. Charles Severance and all stuff working on this helpful outstanding course!

Irana Miriyeva, Senior IN/VAS/Billing Developer

By youssef j

May 14, 2021

thank you Coursera and Kiron for these amazing courses

By Tijani K

Dec 25, 2019

This is the first time I had a practical and very relatable explanation of SQL. I had read the textbook on Modern Database but couldn't wrap my head around most of the jargons and lingos of database but with this course, i have a very deep understanding.

By Alyapyshev M

Jan 28, 2021

Good for beginning!

I would enhance last 4 week and mention other join types, union, aggregation with group by, views in database.

I understand that this is only an introduction, but have this topics in place in Week 4 seems to be a good idea.

Thank you!

By Ayush P

Jun 15, 2021

Gr8 Course. Definitely should check it out. Gr8 Professor and Amazing, mind-blowing assignments. You will definitely improve after solving assignments. Amazing stuff. Assignments are difficult though but real life like problems. Glad I enrolled in it.

By Missy S

Dec 7, 2017

This course is easy to understand, despite not having any background in programming or SQL. I also like how the instructor paced through the lessons (and his humor). This definitely encouraged me to pursue my interest to learn more about SQL.

By Mahira I J

Dec 15, 2020

Dr. Chuck is an amazing instructor! I feel lucky to have been able to learn from him even though it was through an online platform. Thanks a lot, Dr. Chuck! You really are the instructor I always wished I had in my own uni but never did T-T

By Shweta P

Apr 2, 2019

This is a really good online course on which we get detailed information about many SQL functions, relational database system and other tools.Instructor's knowledge about the subject is really very good. Thanks for such a amazing course.

By Jack R

Jun 3, 2020

Really great course - clear instructions, challenging, but still accessible, assignments. Passionate, articulate and very knowledgeable tutor. I now plan to go back and do the php module and then finish the entire course. Thanks!!!!

By Laurentiu A L

Feb 9, 2019

This course gives you a great basis and the necessary information you need in order to go ahead and proceed with gaining higher level expertise of SQL. Lectures are very comprehensive, and information is presented in an efficient way.

By Mustapha A

Mar 16, 2018

Really easy and fun way to get you started with SQL. Be carefull tough because with great SQL power comes great responsbility. And ow, before i forget: dont mention using email adresses as a key, it's kind of thing with the professor.

By REN S

May 1, 2018

I really like this course. Since I don't really have much experience of coding, learning SQL is very meaningful to me. Thanks to the professor, who is always making me love SQL. I love this magic language and I will work hard always!