Back to Introduction to Ancient Egypt and Its Civilization

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to Ancient Egypt and Its Civilization by University of Pennsylvania

Colossal pyramids, imposing temples, golden treasures, enigmatic hieroglyphs, powerful pharaohs, strange gods, and mysterious mummies are features of Ancient Egyptian culture that have fascinated people over the millennia. The Bible refers to its gods, rulers, and pyramids. Neighboring cultures in the ancient Near East and Mediterranean wrote about its god-like kings and its seemingly endless supply of gold. The Greeks and Romans describe aspects of Egypt's culture and history. As the 19th century began, the Napoleonic campaign in Egypt highlighted the wonders of this ancient land, and public interest soared. Not long after, Champollion deciphered Egypt's hieroglyphs and paved the way for other scholars to reveal that Egyptian texts dealt with medicine, dentistry, veterinary practices, mathematics, literature, and accounting, and many other topics. Then, early in the 20th century, Howard Carter discovered the tomb of Tutankhamun and its fabulous contents. Exhibitions of this treasure a few decades later resulted in the world's first blockbuster, and its revival in the 21st century has kept interest alive. Join Dr. David Silverman, Professor of Egyptology at Penn, Curator in Charge of the Egyptian Section of the Penn Museum, and curator of the Tutankhamun exhibitions on a guided tour of the mysteries and wonders of this ancient land. He has developed this online course and set it in the galleries of the world famous Penn Museum. He uses many original Egyptian artifacts to illustrate his lectures as he guides students as they make their own discovery of this fascinating culture....

DM

Aug 02, 2020

The course provided comprehensive knowledge about Egyptian History and has increased my appetite to know even more about it so that I may progress towards my aim of becoming a historian/archaeologist.

SD

May 28, 2018

This is indeed a great course. It is very simply put and very easy to follow up.\n\nDo join without any hesitancy if you have a genuine interest in learning about the history of ancient Egypt!

26 - 50 of 528 Reviews for Introduction to Ancient Egypt and Its Civilization

By Barb F

May 25, 2017

I've always been interested in ancient Egypt and enjoy reading about and testing my knowledge of it when I can. It's interesting to hear from archeologists on what new finds or facts are discovered. I was very happy to be able to visit Egypt and see first hand many of the temples and tombs there and, when it's a bit safer, would love to go back!

Thank you so much for and interesting and informative class. I enjoyed it very much!

By Amit D D

Special thanks to Dr.David P Silverman Sir and University of Pennsylvania for providing such an authentic and rich content in the subject of Egyptology. I always thought of learning about Egypt, its splendid culture, its marvelous architectures, concept behind mummification, etc. and this course has stands true to my expectations. Definitely the best course for any beginner who wants to learn more about Egyptology.

By Paolo I

I'm not a historian, but always found ancient history to be a fascinating topic to read and study. I think the egyptians were a people whose culture evoke some sort of magic and mystic, but that we didn't studied as much as I liked in school. I think this course helped me learn more about them, but also preserved this magic. The visualization of the art in the Museum was a great way to illustrate many points.

By Thyagarajan S

Nov 13, 2019

The course is quite unique and mishmashes all the required detail within a short period of six weeks. The course provides a detailed introduction and history of Egypt from all corners, everything from the pharaoh's names to the rise and fall of the empire and even mummification. loved the course and all the knowledge from it. don't know if there is any other way to obtain all such information together at once.

By Daniel S

May 02, 2020

This was a very insightful course and I thoroughly enjoyed learning from it. As it's just an introduction, it has definitely sparked me to research further into some of information included as well as explore some of Dr. Silverman's other courses here on Coursera. I've also added a future visit to the Penn Museum to my list. A huge thanks to Dr. Silverman and all involved in the production of this course!

By Arantxa Y

Feb 21, 2020

Personal research is needed in order to complete the quizzes and participate in the forum debate. Other than that ( which is not bad at all) the course is excellent and explanations and videos are clear and helpful. It is my first contact with ancient Egypt and won't be the last. I'm enrolling in the next one. I also liked there's a great amount of photographs many of them from the Penn Museum collection.

By Urbi C

Oct 07, 2017

As a student of history I can say that this course is fantastic. It is well collated and presented in an attractive way, and there are adequate free online study material provided with each module to supplement the videos. The most exciting part of the course is the sneak peak that you get in the Penn Museum collection of Ancient Egyptian artifacts and also the various other photographs in each video.

By Melissa A C

Nov 27, 2016

Of the courses I've taken through Coursera, Introduction to Ancient Egypt and Its Civilization is, by far, my favorite. My interest in Ancient Egyptian civilization began in early childhood and has stuck with me ever since (I'm in my forties now). Dr. Silverman's lectures are very engaging and highly informative, always leaving you feeling excited for the next lecture. He really knows this subject!

By George G

Jul 17, 2017

The course was a very comprehensive Introduction into Ancient Egyptian history. I would highly recommend this course to anyone interested in this great civilisation. The lectures were well thought out, engaging and relevant to meeting the course assessment criteria.

I sincerely thank the team at Coursera, the Penn Museum and David Silverman for their efforts in putting together such a great course!

By Maisha K

Jul 12, 2020

Seriously loved this course. Dr. David P. Silverman has explained things in a simple yet effective manner and its really interesting to learn so many new things about the Ancient Egyptians that I never knew before. I really look forward to more courses like these before I am finally of age to go to college, so I can learn more about the favorite topic right here, right now,

By Amanda S

Mar 13, 2020

I really enjoyed this course and have now begun the second course offered on Ancient Egypt that delves into the art and hieroglyphs. Dr. Silverman is a very informative teacher and provided a good foundation in the course. I did not find it intermediate level as I found the quizzes easy, but perhaps that just means I am on that level lol. I learned some new things that I enjoyed.

By Megan F

Jan 08, 2018

This course gave me a wonderful insight into the ways of Ancient Egypt. The lectures with Dr. Silverman were clear, concise, and highly interesting. I found myself thinking of the different topics of the week, even when I wasn't working on the course. I would definitely recommend this course to others, and I would likely take it again. Thank you so much for offering this!

By Raquel S C

Apr 26, 2017

The course was pretty interesting and the lectures were engaging most of the time. I learned many things I was oblivious of before. It was quite interesting to participate in the forums as well because the questions made one think deeply about many different things. I am glad I took the course, I'm quite satisfied with my grade and results.

By Bethany W

I really loved this course, as someone who has always been greatly fascinated by Ancient Egypt and had wanted to pursue some form of education in Egyptology that I could do alongside the other things in my life and I would definitely recommend this. I really enjoyed the lectures and will be doing more of these courses in the future <3

By Lovely L

Apr 08, 2018

I love to learn about colossal pyramids, imposing temples, golden treasures, enigmatic hieroglyphs, powerful pharaohs, strange gods, and mysterious mummies are features of Ancient Egyptian culture that have fascinated me so much. I hope in the future could reach more information about priest. Thanks In-depth knowledge of the course.

By Huma W

Apr 13, 2020

Great as an introduction to the world of ancient Egypt. I enjoyed every session massively and the simplicity in the running order of the information flow. There is so much more to learn and the sources to further research and information are provided throughout the course. Doctor Silverman is very sympathetic and knowledgeable.

By Tudor C

Nov 12, 2017

Really enjoyed this class. I recommend reading the suggested books (majority are free of charge) but also purchasing Dr. Silverman's book Ancient Egypt which is a staple in Egyptology classes. I only wish there would be more classes such as this one that would go in more detail and depth (a bit like level 2, 3 and so on).

By Fernando G G

Dec 06, 2016

Great course for introduction to Ancient Egypt! An extensive amount of information pertaining to the the ancient civilization, and Dr. Silverman explain everything with great understanding! One of the best courses I have ever taken! Will definitely be recommending to all my colleagues! Thank you for the great course!

By Shelley

Jan 29, 2017

Wonderful course! I loved Dr. Silverman's lectures and the photos of artifacts from the museum. It was well presented and I hope I can revisit this course to watch it again just for the pleasure of doing so. There were many links for more information made available as well. I thoroughly enjoyed the entire course.

By Eileen D

Dec 05, 2016

I had fun while completing this course. It was interesting getting an inside look into the Egyptian Collection at Penn University, and Silverman's lectures were on the point and sharp. My lifelong interest in Ancient Egypt has been rekindled and I look forward to learning more! Thanks for letting me participate.

By virginia d

Jul 27, 2020

I really enjoyed this course.I learned so much. I would like to know the correct answers to the quiz questions that I answered incorrectly.Maybe that can be added in future courses.Professor Silverman was a wealth of knowledge .The quizzes were great and the chapters were so informative.Arelly great course.

By John R

Aug 15, 2017

Usually when I take a "history" course, I expect a chronological listing of facts. Instead, I found an very interesting presentation centering around different cultural aspects of the ancient Egyptian history. I was stimulated by the course, and really enjoyed it. Thank you for the quality presentation.

By Panchali M

Nov 27, 2018

It is an extremely good course from which I have benefitted immensely. I have been introduced to the idea of Egyptology. It is easy to understand and assimilate. I am certainly better equipped in Egyptology as a result of this course and it has also generated my interest for further studies in this area.

By David H

Jun 30, 2017

This course was very enlightening. It stayed with the main Kings and more historically important times and stayed away from minor, unimportant times and dynastys. Very well done and interesting all the way through it. The course instructor was relaxed, knowledgeable and knes when to get the point across.

By Nancy G A

May 05, 2020

That was outstanding. Learned so very much. Loved being able to see the artifacts, etc. Explanation and the delivery of information was at a perfect pace. Would highly recommend this course to anyone wanting an excellent overview of Ancient Egypt. Loved the mummy stuff as well as the visit the lab!