Back to Introduction to Ancient Egypt and Its Civilization

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to Ancient Egypt and Its Civilization by University of Pennsylvania

Colossal pyramids, imposing temples, golden treasures, enigmatic hieroglyphs, powerful pharaohs, strange gods, and mysterious mummies are features of Ancient Egyptian culture that have fascinated people over the millennia. The Bible refers to its gods, rulers, and pyramids. Neighboring cultures in the ancient Near East and Mediterranean wrote about its god-like kings and its seemingly endless supply of gold. The Greeks and Romans describe aspects of Egypt's culture and history. As the 19th century began, the Napoleonic campaign in Egypt highlighted the wonders of this ancient land, and public interest soared. Not long after, Champollion deciphered Egypt's hieroglyphs and paved the way for other scholars to reveal that Egyptian texts dealt with medicine, dentistry, veterinary practices, mathematics, literature, and accounting, and many other topics. Then, early in the 20th century, Howard Carter discovered the tomb of Tutankhamun and its fabulous contents. Exhibitions of this treasure a few decades later resulted in the world's first blockbuster, and its revival in the 21st century has kept interest alive. Join Dr. David Silverman, Professor of Egyptology at Penn, Curator in Charge of the Egyptian Section of the Penn Museum, and curator of the Tutankhamun exhibitions on a guided tour of the mysteries and wonders of this ancient land. He has developed this online course and set it in the galleries of the world famous Penn Museum. He uses many original Egyptian artifacts to illustrate his lectures as he guides students as they make their own discovery of this fascinating culture....

DA
May 27, 2018

This is indeed a great course. It is very simply put and very easy to follow up.\n\nDo join without any hesitancy if you have a genuine interest in learning about the history of ancient Egypt!

RR
Mar 24, 2020

First online course and I loved every moment of it! It felt really refreshing to hear some old names that I used to study as a child. Well done and thanks again for the amazing opportunity!

26 - 50 of 584 Reviews for Introduction to Ancient Egypt and Its Civilization

By Syed H A

May 27, 2018

I think its the best online course I have taken anywhere about history of ancient Egypt. I was also inspired by the way Dr David P. Silverman narrated the story of ancient Egypt. The course was also well designed to give a brief intro to everyone about various important aspects of ancient Egyptian life. The lessons mentioned in the "further reading" section of every week were carefully picked so as to give the reader a whole recap as well as further insight to what was learned during that week.

I will surely take any other course on Egyptology if offered/ organized by Dr Silverman on this subject.

By Vladislav Z

Oct 27, 2020

As an introductory course I found this very satisfactory. The material is structured in an appropriate way, the production of the video quality is good, the manner of presentation leans a bit toward the dull side, with the speaker just reading from a script in short video lectures, and the text subtitles of the lectures often have grammatical or spelling errors which make them not dependable for relying on when taking notes. Other than that aforementioned annoyance I think this is a good & worthwhile MOOC to take especially if you have an interest in ancient history and in particular Egyptology.

By Dana C

Apr 24, 2020

Informative and thought provoking. I will be traveling to Egypt next year and I wanted to understand more about Egyptian history so that I would get more out of the trip. This course did that for me. The instructor was clear and concise. Though the transcript is a bit spotty in places I found the instructors book very helpful. I really liked that the videos were broken up into manageable chunks. It is made it easily to follow and also break into different study sessions. I plan on taking the book and my notes from this course with me on my trip. Thank you for a great class.

By Laura L

Mar 8, 2018

The professor was very knowledgeable. The material was broken down into manageable chunks or lessons. It was very interesting to see examples or actual objects that illustrated the concept being taught. The materials in the Penn Museum were often referred to and shown. The lectures was fast paced and I appreciated the ability to go back and watch sections of the lectures over again to make sure that I understood the material being taught. Thank you for making a course like this available to me at no cost. I look forward to exploring other coursera classes.

By João P Z R

Sep 17, 2020

Though aesthetically feeling like a museum guide, the images and info along the course made it very formative and informative, just like a good university course. The introductory aspect instigates us to know more about individual aspects and to focus on certain aspects in the Egyptian culture on the future. Maybe a bit more on politics and polemic research topics would improve it even further. Having other points of view, like the relation between contemporary Egyptian museologists and university profs. would make it absolutely perfect.

By maria

Apr 7, 2018

I enjoyed this course. If only these types of Courses were offered here in Michigan I would have obtained a degree in Egyptology a long time ago. I do plan on taking the other set of courses related to this. The videos really helped and those places are beautiful. I really want to visit Egypt some day soon, before those pyramids are no longer there or I am too old to travel. Whichever comes first. Thanks Dr. Silverman. Your explanation on Egypt has brought me even closer to my love of their history and understanding.

By Daniel A

Oct 28, 2017

Although a bit slow and scripted in the start, I've grown a sort of fondness to the professor. In the beginning the chronology seemed jumbled but slowly I got acquainted with the course and really started to enjoy it. Don't make any assumptions based on the first few videos. The course as a whole is very good and informative. I went from knowing next to nothing about Egypt, to being able to at least debate with seasoned professionals and hold my ground on the subject.

By Angel S

May 20, 2017

This course has been a really good experience. I learnt a lot and I enjoyed each of the videos and content since it provided me a new perspective about the studies that researchers have in different parts of the world. Although this is not my main field of study, I have always been interested in this amazing culture. I hope one day I have the opportunity to visit the museum in Philadelphia and of course, go the Egypt soon. Best wishes, thanks a lot!

By Barb F

May 25, 2017

I've always been interested in ancient Egypt and enjoy reading about and testing my knowledge of it when I can. It's interesting to hear from archeologists on what new finds or facts are discovered. I was very happy to be able to visit Egypt and see first hand many of the temples and tombs there and, when it's a bit safer, would love to go back!

Thank you so much for and interesting and informative class. I enjoyed it very much!

By Amit D D

Special thanks to Dr.David P Silverman Sir and University of Pennsylvania for providing such an authentic and rich content in the subject of Egyptology. I always thought of learning about Egypt, its splendid culture, its marvelous architectures, concept behind mummification, etc. and this course has stands true to my expectations. Definitely the best course for any beginner who wants to learn more about Egyptology.

By Paolo I

I'm not a historian, but always found ancient history to be a fascinating topic to read and study. I think the egyptians were a people whose culture evoke some sort of magic and mystic, but that we didn't studied as much as I liked in school. I think this course helped me learn more about them, but also preserved this magic. The visualization of the art in the Museum was a great way to illustrate many points.

By Thyagarajan S

Nov 13, 2019

The course is quite unique and mishmashes all the required detail within a short period of six weeks. The course provides a detailed introduction and history of Egypt from all corners, everything from the pharaoh's names to the rise and fall of the empire and even mummification. loved the course and all the knowledge from it. don't know if there is any other way to obtain all such information together at once.

By Daniel S

May 2, 2020

This was a very insightful course and I thoroughly enjoyed learning from it. As it's just an introduction, it has definitely sparked me to research further into some of information included as well as explore some of Dr. Silverman's other courses here on Coursera. I've also added a future visit to the Penn Museum to my list. A huge thanks to Dr. Silverman and all involved in the production of this course!

By Arantxa Y

Feb 20, 2020

Personal research is needed in order to complete the quizzes and participate in the forum debate. Other than that ( which is not bad at all) the course is excellent and explanations and videos are clear and helpful. It is my first contact with ancient Egypt and won't be the last. I'm enrolling in the next one. I also liked there's a great amount of photographs many of them from the Penn Museum collection.

By Urbi C

Oct 7, 2017

As a student of history I can say that this course is fantastic. It is well collated and presented in an attractive way, and there are adequate free online study material provided with each module to supplement the videos. The most exciting part of the course is the sneak peak that you get in the Penn Museum collection of Ancient Egyptian artifacts and also the various other photographs in each video.

By Melissa A C

Nov 27, 2016

Of the courses I've taken through Coursera, Introduction to Ancient Egypt and Its Civilization is, by far, my favorite. My interest in Ancient Egyptian civilization began in early childhood and has stuck with me ever since (I'm in my forties now). Dr. Silverman's lectures are very engaging and highly informative, always leaving you feeling excited for the next lecture. He really knows this subject!

By George G

Jul 17, 2017

The course was a very comprehensive Introduction into Ancient Egyptian history. I would highly recommend this course to anyone interested in this great civilisation. The lectures were well thought out, engaging and relevant to meeting the course assessment criteria.

I sincerely thank the team at Coursera, the Penn Museum and David Silverman for their efforts in putting together such a great course!

By Maisha K

Jul 11, 2020

Seriously loved this course. Dr. David P. Silverman has explained things in a simple yet effective manner and its really interesting to learn so many new things about the Ancient Egyptians that I never knew before. I really look forward to more courses like these before I am finally of age to go to college, so I can learn more about the favorite topic right here, right now,

By Amanda S

Mar 13, 2020

I really enjoyed this course and have now begun the second course offered on Ancient Egypt that delves into the art and hieroglyphs. Dr. Silverman is a very informative teacher and provided a good foundation in the course. I did not find it intermediate level as I found the quizzes easy, but perhaps that just means I am on that level lol. I learned some new things that I enjoyed.

By Megan F

Jan 7, 2018

This course gave me a wonderful insight into the ways of Ancient Egypt. The lectures with Dr. Silverman were clear, concise, and highly interesting. I found myself thinking of the different topics of the week, even when I wasn't working on the course. I would definitely recommend this course to others, and I would likely take it again. Thank you so much for offering this!

By Vivek B S

Nov 13, 2020

I liked the course very much. Dr David takes it in a very organised manner along with showing the pictures or images. This helps in remembering the concepts learnt. It was an amazing course which gave me insight and also made me realise how wrong certains facts that are taught to us during school days. Looking forward to more of such courses.

By Raquel S C

Apr 26, 2017

The course was pretty interesting and the lectures were engaging most of the time. I learned many things I was oblivious of before. It was quite interesting to participate in the forums as well because the questions made one think deeply about many different things. I am glad I took the course, I'm quite satisfied with my grade and results.

By Bethany W

I really loved this course, as someone who has always been greatly fascinated by Ancient Egypt and had wanted to pursue some form of education in Egyptology that I could do alongside the other things in my life and I would definitely recommend this. I really enjoyed the lectures and will be doing more of these courses in the future <3

By Lovely L

Apr 7, 2018

I love to learn about colossal pyramids, imposing temples, golden treasures, enigmatic hieroglyphs, powerful pharaohs, strange gods, and mysterious mummies are features of Ancient Egyptian culture that have fascinated me so much. I hope in the future could reach more information about priest. Thanks In-depth knowledge of the course.

By Dominique

Sep 27, 2020

Thank you so much David and all involved. I thoroughly enjoyed this short course and have a deeper understanding of Egyptian life, history and their conception of the world and the afterlife. Your lectures were full of interesting information and clearly communicated and they spurred me to further research aspects of the topic.