Back to Introduction to Ancient Egypt and Its Civilization

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to Ancient Egypt and Its Civilization by University of Pennsylvania

Colossal pyramids, imposing temples, golden treasures, enigmatic hieroglyphs, powerful pharaohs, strange gods, and mysterious mummies are features of Ancient Egyptian culture that have fascinated people over the millennia. The Bible refers to its gods, rulers, and pyramids. Neighboring cultures in the ancient Near East and Mediterranean wrote about its god-like kings and its seemingly endless supply of gold. The Greeks and Romans describe aspects of Egypt's culture and history. As the 19th century began, the Napoleonic campaign in Egypt highlighted the wonders of this ancient land, and public interest soared. Not long after, Champollion deciphered Egypt's hieroglyphs and paved the way for other scholars to reveal that Egyptian texts dealt with medicine, dentistry, veterinary practices, mathematics, literature, and accounting, and many other topics. Then, early in the 20th century, Howard Carter discovered the tomb of Tutankhamun and its fabulous contents. Exhibitions of this treasure a few decades later resulted in the world's first blockbuster, and its revival in the 21st century has kept interest alive. Join Dr. David Silverman, Professor of Egyptology at Penn, Curator in Charge of the Egyptian Section of the Penn Museum, and curator of the Tutankhamun exhibitions on a guided tour of the mysteries and wonders of this ancient land. He has developed this online course and set it in the galleries of the world famous Penn Museum. He uses many original Egyptian artifacts to illustrate his lectures as he guides students as they make their own discovery of this fascinating culture....

SD

May 28, 2018

This is indeed a great course. It is very simply put and very easy to follow up.\n\nDo join without any hesitancy if you have a genuine interest in learning about the history of ancient Egypt!

RR

Mar 25, 2020

First online course and I loved every moment of it! It felt really refreshing to hear some old names that I used to study as a child. Well done and thanks again for the amazing opportunity!

51 - 75 of 534 Reviews for Introduction to Ancient Egypt and Its Civilization

By Nancy G A

May 05, 2020

That was outstanding. Learned so very much. Loved being able to see the artifacts, etc. Explanation and the delivery of information was at a perfect pace. Would highly recommend this course to anyone wanting an excellent overview of Ancient Egypt. Loved the mummy stuff as well as the visit the lab!

By Irene m

Jan 18, 2017

The skills that someone can aquire in brief:

approaching a vast time period critically through keystones

identifying the most important pharaohs and the monuments connected to them

realising and respecting the significance of different opinions -perceptions in order to decipher the code called "Egypt"

By 王若寒

Dec 06, 2016

Knowing nothing about ancient Egypt except for pure words like "mummies, pyramids, sphinx, curses, pharaohs...", I took this course out of curiosity. And every word have become concrete when I progress in this course under Prof. Silverman's instruction and tour in the Penn museum. This has been a

By Dana F

This course is a dynamic and detailed introduction to Egyptology, aided by examples from artifacts in the Penn Museum. It's delicately and appropriately paced and I came out of it having learned immensely about this civilization and aspects of its culture and legacy. Highly recommend!

By Avani D

May 22, 2017

I had a lot of fun learning this course. As a student of Art and also being a museum geek, it will help me a lot in future to explain others regarding the Ancient Egyptians.

Thank you so much Coursera for existing and bringing in universities like Penn into the online learning forum.

By Partho P U

Apr 12, 2020

Wonderful Introduction from Professor David Silverman. Beautifully structured course with distinctive sections covering Kingdoms, Pharaohs, God and Goddesses, Mummy's and Mummification. Strongly recommend this course as a stepping stone in Egyptology. Thank You Professor Silverman.

By Marina J S

Dec 09, 2016

This was a fantastic course, taught by a very experienced professor. The videos and script, which followed with images and parts of the museum, really helped in making come together with concept and context. It was an excellent course and I would highly recommend it to anyone.

By Dhwani M

Aug 09, 2020

The course provided comprehensive knowledge about Egyptian History and has increased my appetite to know even more about it so that I may progress towards my aim of becoming a historian/archaeologist. It has increased my hunger of acquiring more knowledge about ancient times.

By mohamed h m

Dec 09, 2019

This course is truly wonderful, I found with it a very large amount of documented information about the ancient Egyptian civilization to the degree of fascinated me, and made me feel information poverty about my country civilization ..

The way the subject is taught is great

By Vicki Z F

Excellent course and wonderful instructor. The course left me wanting more! The only criticism I have is the abysmal state of the transcripts (in terms of accuracy, grammar, coherence, they all left much to be desired). And that is my ONLY criticism -- this course is great!

By Chandler W

Aug 18, 2017

Provided great background info on the culture and revealed new perspectives-I learned a great deal about how diverse and dynamic the legacy of ancient Egyptian civilizations are and gained better fact-based knowledge that contradicted some of the info I learned in the past.

By Lara F

Jan 10, 2018

I hoped when I started this course that I would develop a framework for understanding and building on knowledge about Ancient Egypt. The course gave a useful taster of different elements of this fascinating society and has inspired me to learn more. Exactly as I hoped.

By Podoinikova M

Jul 28, 2017

Thank you! Actually it was great time i've spent with this course, it takes 3 days and partly my knowledge in these sphere. Also I want to say, that Penn museum is really great, and I wish every worker and museologist a lot of new artefacts and professional inspiration.

By paulina l

Jun 02, 2019

Es un curso muy completo para comprender y conocer el antiguo Egipto. Tanto los videos, como las lecturas complemenatarias, así como el poder hacer notas son de utilidad para resumir la información y poder contestar las preguntas que se hacen al final de cada módulo.

By Alan G S

May 16, 2020

This course, along with Introduction to Ancient Egypt and its Civilization, was an excellent introduction to Egyptology, particularly given the amount of information packed into a relatively short course. I feel much more knowledgeable about this topic than before.

By Madelyn B

Apr 27, 2020

This course was very well taught and easy to understand. Everything was explained well and covered exactly what it said, an introduction to Ancient Egypt. Don't expect minute detail on random subjects, though that would be fascinating. Entertaining, easy, and basic

By Priya P

May 02, 2020

I loved the course thoroughly and I would recommend it to anyone who has an interest in the Egyptian civilization and want to delve in deep. I was awed by how beautifully Dr. Silverman explained it. Thanks to him and the Penn Museum for coming up with this course.

By Claire H

May 29, 2017

Dr. Silverman is clear and easy to follow, and I appreciated the many suggested readings that were available online from various institutions. As with any good introduction/overview, it left me more interested and wanting to study the subject in more depth.

By Jaquelina M

Feb 12, 2018

Dr. Silverman thanks a lot! you made me to open my brain once again. I loved all explanation on mummified. This course help me to continue my path on my research in América. Thanks, once again. I will continue studying any course based on ancient cultures.

By Lee M J

Jul 02, 2017

This course has further provided me a more in-depth knowledge and understanding of ancient Egyptian life and culture as well as their beliefs and monumental architecture. Thank you very much Dr Silverman and Penn University for providing this course. : )

By Gary C

Apr 09, 2020

Excellent Course. Thoroughly enjoyable, highly informative and a first-class learning experience! I recommend this to anyone who is interested in the subject and wants to get a good understanding of the key timelines and concepts of Ancient Egypt

By Eliza B

Jun 19, 2020

This course was interesting and easy to follow. I had no prior knowledge of Ancient Egyptian culture or history but now have some concept of how the culture changed over time and general trends in the historical periods. Thank you Dr. Silverman!

By Jennifer B

May 07, 2020

I really enjoyed the course. I gave a great overview of the subject matter as which allowed the student to obtain much more information that just a high level overviews. The companion book and suggested additional reading were quite interesting.

By Álvaro C C

Dec 14, 2018

Un curso interactivo muy rico en contenido. Las explicaciones del Dr Silverman son muy claras y fáciles de entender. Recomendaría que los vídeos fueran mas largos en vez de varios vídeos pequeños pues es mas cómodo. Un curso muy recomendable.

By Catherine G

Nov 14, 2016

enjoyable course I have watched a lot of egyptian documentaries and had a keen interest in the topic and would like to do more study but notice there is not a lot of classes and specialised courses in this in australia which is a real shame.