Back to Introduction to Ancient Egypt and Its Civilization

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to Ancient Egypt and Its Civilization by University of Pennsylvania

Colossal pyramids, imposing temples, golden treasures, enigmatic hieroglyphs, powerful pharaohs, strange gods, and mysterious mummies are features of Ancient Egyptian culture that have fascinated people over the millennia. The Bible refers to its gods, rulers, and pyramids. Neighboring cultures in the ancient Near East and Mediterranean wrote about its god-like kings and its seemingly endless supply of gold. The Greeks and Romans describe aspects of Egypt's culture and history. As the 19th century began, the Napoleonic campaign in Egypt highlighted the wonders of this ancient land, and public interest soared. Not long after, Champollion deciphered Egypt's hieroglyphs and paved the way for other scholars to reveal that Egyptian texts dealt with medicine, dentistry, veterinary practices, mathematics, literature, and accounting, and many other topics. Then, early in the 20th century, Howard Carter discovered the tomb of Tutankhamun and its fabulous contents. Exhibitions of this treasure a few decades later resulted in the world's first blockbuster, and its revival in the 21st century has kept interest alive. Join Dr. David Silverman, Professor of Egyptology at Penn, Curator in Charge of the Egyptian Section of the Penn Museum, and curator of the Tutankhamun exhibitions on a guided tour of the mysteries and wonders of this ancient land. He has developed this online course and set it in the galleries of the world famous Penn Museum. He uses many original Egyptian artifacts to illustrate his lectures as he guides students as they make their own discovery of this fascinating culture....

DA
May 27, 2018

This is indeed a great course. It is very simply put and very easy to follow up.\n\nDo join without any hesitancy if you have a genuine interest in learning about the history of ancient Egypt!

RR
Mar 24, 2020

First online course and I loved every moment of it! It felt really refreshing to hear some old names that I used to study as a child. Well done and thanks again for the amazing opportunity!

101 - 125 of 580 Reviews for Introduction to Ancient Egypt and Its Civilization

By Gretchen A

Jul 28, 2020

This class interesting and not too difficult. Learned much about the Ancient Egypt basics. I would be interested in taking more classes about Egypt if they were to come available, like what was their daily life like.

By Tieysha A C

May 3, 2020

It was a very informative course> I have always been interested in Ancient Egypt and it was a class not available to me while in college. The videos and exhibits along the way made it easy to understand the content.

By Jessica G

Apr 13, 2020

I found this course fascinating, I first became interested in Ancient Egypt when I was younger and this course was perfect for me to do at home. I look forward to following on with the other courses in this series.

By Kevin F

Apr 3, 2020

A very good basic overview. Good intro level content for someone coming to the subject for the first time. Certainly I am not an Egyptologist now but I am certainly more knowledgeable of Egypt than when I started.

By Jim M

Jun 11, 2020

This course is a terrific introduction to study of Ancient Egypt. Having traveled to Egypt twice, the information in this course allowed me to remember those trips with a renewed enthusiasm to return a third time.

By Azajul I N

Egyptian civilization always seems like a mystery to me. I always feel an interest towards this culture. Thanks to the University of Pennsylvania for launching this awesome course. I am really impressed. Just WOW.

By Liu x

Oct 25, 2019

I learned a lot about the mysterious pyramids, mummies, deities and how the ancient society worked under the lead of their kings and gods. I think it is really useful if someone wants to know about this country.

By Chelsea I B

Apr 17, 2020

Loved the course. Very informative and lots to learn. Quizzes are simple and as long as you remember the lecture material, you'll be fine. The instructor is a LITTLE dry but he has a ton of information to give.

By Erdi E

May 28, 2017

I want to thank Dr. Silverman and his colleagues to bring that amazing course to us. And I wish there would be more courses on Ancient Egyptian topic as well. Thank you for this wonderful experience.

Erdi Ekinci

By Swarnadeep B

Jul 13, 2020

Extremely Insightful and really helped learn many things. Though I am an Aerospace Engineer my predilection for History has never gone away. This course definitely fulfilled my thirst for knowledge of History.

By Mark M

Feb 11, 2020

Endlessly fascinating for an Egypt junkie like me! There's not much coverage of Egyptian language and writing overall, but that material is available elsewhere. The glimpses of Penn's collection are a treat.

By Eline

Apr 6, 2019

I've loved this entire course but have noticed that on the English subtitles not every name matches what's been said by Silverman. Other than that it's been a fun ride and I'd definitely recommend this course.

By Muhammad S

Jul 17, 2020

This course really delves into Ancient Egypt. David Silverman also taps into the Egyptian mindset and makes links between their rituals and beliefs about the world, which makes the lessons a fresh experience.

By Marissa H

Dec 12, 2016

This course was enlightening, to say the least. Dr. Silverman is very knowledgeable in his field and every time he mentioned some artifact in the Penn Museum, it made me more and more interested in visiting.

Jun 20, 2020

Excellent video lectures by David Silverman within a stimulating environment of the Penn Museum. Would thoroughly recommend to anyone interested in learning a basic overview of themes in Egyptian history!

By Muidul I S

Apr 24, 2020

It's great and so much informative. Already cleared my confusions about the early history of Egyptian evolution in a short time historical presentation.

Thank you so much to the instructor and coursemates.

By Roman P

Aug 12, 2017

Very good introductive course, covering all the Egyptian topics which tend to appear in popular culture in a systematic and intriguing way. Plus the good overview of Egyptian history in the ancient times

By Janet R

Nov 23, 2020

I have really enjoyed this course, the quality and content have been amazing.

I have learned so much and have enjoyed reading the Prof’s book. I looked forward to the next challenge.

Janet (Penn U)

😀

By RAUL F T

Oct 11, 2020

An excellent introductory course in the study of Egyptology. Chronology, concepts about religion, gods and burial, and mummification were well conducted by Dr David Silvermann. Thank you very much.

By Yasmim P Y

Apr 7, 2020

I loved the course. I'd strongly suggest, though, that some debate about how Africa was deprived of their Egyptian material legacy could take place - perhaps as a separate module at theeee ending.

By Estefania I G

Mar 22, 2020

A través de este curso me di cuenta que mi acervo acerca del tema es limitado y que cada que aprendo algo del antiguo Egipto comprendo que desconozco muchas cosas de esta enigmática cultura

By Rejana R

Feb 22, 2020

It was amazing to delve in the glorious history of Ancient Egypt . I loved to learn about the kings, queens and the monuments which defined the definite past. I will rate it 100/100!

By Monique L

Mar 26, 2020

What a wonderful experience and professor. I've had an interest in Ancient Egypt since I was a child and feel so much more informed and eager to learn more in his following courses.

By Mark C

Feb 17, 2020

This is a great course about Ancient Egypt. I went right into the next course "Wonders of Egypt". I also love the Penn Museum in Philadelphia which inspired me to take this course!

By Jiayang T

Jan 22, 2018

The course is just like a documentary because it presents students with artifacts stored in museums. Students can definitely learn better when they see this eye-catching artifacts.