Back to Introduction to Ancient Egypt and Its Civilization

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to Ancient Egypt and Its Civilization by University of Pennsylvania

Colossal pyramids, imposing temples, golden treasures, enigmatic hieroglyphs, powerful pharaohs, strange gods, and mysterious mummies are features of Ancient Egyptian culture that have fascinated people over the millennia. The Bible refers to its gods, rulers, and pyramids. Neighboring cultures in the ancient Near East and Mediterranean wrote about its god-like kings and its seemingly endless supply of gold. The Greeks and Romans describe aspects of Egypt's culture and history. As the 19th century began, the Napoleonic campaign in Egypt highlighted the wonders of this ancient land, and public interest soared. Not long after, Champollion deciphered Egypt's hieroglyphs and paved the way for other scholars to reveal that Egyptian texts dealt with medicine, dentistry, veterinary practices, mathematics, literature, and accounting, and many other topics. Then, early in the 20th century, Howard Carter discovered the tomb of Tutankhamun and its fabulous contents. Exhibitions of this treasure a few decades later resulted in the world's first blockbuster, and its revival in the 21st century has kept interest alive. Join Dr. David Silverman, Professor of Egyptology at Penn, Curator in Charge of the Egyptian Section of the Penn Museum, and curator of the Tutankhamun exhibitions on a guided tour of the mysteries and wonders of this ancient land. He has developed this online course and set it in the galleries of the world famous Penn Museum. He uses many original Egyptian artifacts to illustrate his lectures as he guides students as they make their own discovery of this fascinating culture....

DA
May 27, 2018

This is indeed a great course. It is very simply put and very easy to follow up.\n\nDo join without any hesitancy if you have a genuine interest in learning about the history of ancient Egypt!

RR
Mar 24, 2020

First online course and I loved every moment of it! It felt really refreshing to hear some old names that I used to study as a child. Well done and thanks again for the amazing opportunity!

176 - 200 of 668 Reviews for Introduction to Ancient Egypt and Its Civilization

By Caitlin O

Mar 24, 2019

Fantastic course! Absolutely loved it and it was very easy to follow. I learnt a lot and it has increased my desire to learn more about Ancient Egypt.

By Roxana P

Apr 4, 2021

Dr Silverman explains everything in a quiet calm voice and the explanations are very interesting. I home to’ take another corse. Thank you very much

By Yuthika

Aug 10, 2020

Every topic related to ancient Egypt has been covered.Everything which i wanted to know about its civilization and ancient god of Egypt learnt here.

By Rafel V L

Jun 9, 2020

Very interesting introduction to the Ancient Egypt, It was a wonderful way to learn about the pharaohs and others important things of Ancient Egypt.

By Erin L

Feb 25, 2017

A quick but thorough introduction to Ancient Egypt, with the added bonus of serving as an introduction to the Penn Museum's Ancient Egypt collection

By Christina P

Dec 12, 2016

I am inspired to travel to visit Penn Museum. I hope to soon. Thank you for the course, I would take more in this field in the future if offered.

By Tertius d J

Mar 18, 2020

I do have now a better, complete, chronicle view on Ancient Egypt and wish I could have this knowledge before our family visit in Egypt in 2005.

By Brittany S

Jun 21, 2017

I enjoyed this class, the last videos about the mummification process were particularly interesting and really humanized this ancient culture.

By Katharina R

Oct 7, 2020

I enjoyed the course a lot. It gave me a structured introduction and I learned new aspects of ancient Egyptian history I did not know before.

By Janet B

Nov 20, 2019

Was an easy to follow format. Learned a lot and reviewed some material. Would love to go to the Univ, of Penn to see their Egyptian exhibit.

By katrina h à c

Jan 16, 2017

i really enjoyed this course and learnt a lot. having the lectures inside the museum was great. i also really enjoyed the session in the lab.

By Angshool D

Jul 5, 2020

I loved the course. Something new I got to learn.The professor was very good and explained everything properly.Overall I enjoyed very much .

By Offir b

Apr 7, 2020

Very interesting happening, enriching general treasure, expanding knowledge of the history of ancient Egypt, and very interesting, thank you

By Mathieu R

Dec 11, 2016

This course was very interesting. I feel very lucky to get this opportunity to understand more some of the old Egypt mysteries. Thank you !

By Maria

Dec 11, 2016

Thank you for that course, I was really waiting for it to appear in Coursera. A lot of new information, looking forward to the next course!

By Anne E

Oct 9, 2017

Excellent diversion from contemporary ordeals and a joy to consider how much our society shares in common with ancient Egypt.

Thanks much!

By Cristina M

Apr 30, 2017

I really enjoyed this course and I will miss Dr SIlverman's voice. This course made me eaer to kearn more about Ancient Egypt. Thank you.

By Mounisha M

Aug 1, 2019

It's a great course I have completed. I have the answers of many of my questions about the Egyptian civilization. Thanks a lot coursera.

By Paulo d V L

Jul 11, 2021

Excelente curso com bom material de referência. As aulas são muito claras e explicadas de maneira bem simples e com boas ilustrações.

By Andrea G

Sep 13, 2020

This was a great class to learn the basics of Ancient Egypt without feeling overwhelmed. I enjoyed the lectures from David Silverman.

By Carmen R

Apr 4, 2020

Excellent intro to the basic principals of Ancient Egypt. The reading assignments add to the enjoyment. The text is also excellent.

By Adam P

Aug 24, 2018

This course was incredibly informative and the thorough integration of real artifacts was a pleasure. Thank you, Professor Silverman!

By Quin R

Apr 18, 2021

Wonderful introductory course, and I really enjoyed the textbook. Booked my first trip to Egypt right after finishing this course!

By John C

Mar 28, 2021

GENIALLL!!! muchas cosas por recordar, mcuhas cosas nuevas y muchas cosas pendeitnes por concoer,,!! muy contento muchas gracias!!

By Sophia A

Mar 28, 2019

Wonderful course! It was very insightful and interesting, and I can't wait to take it's sister course, "Wonders of Ancient Egypt"!