Back to Introduction to Ancient Egypt and Its Civilization

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to Ancient Egypt and Its Civilization by University of Pennsylvania

Colossal pyramids, imposing temples, golden treasures, enigmatic hieroglyphs, powerful pharaohs, strange gods, and mysterious mummies are features of Ancient Egyptian culture that have fascinated people over the millennia. The Bible refers to its gods, rulers, and pyramids. Neighboring cultures in the ancient Near East and Mediterranean wrote about its god-like kings and its seemingly endless supply of gold. The Greeks and Romans describe aspects of Egypt's culture and history. As the 19th century began, the Napoleonic campaign in Egypt highlighted the wonders of this ancient land, and public interest soared. Not long after, Champollion deciphered Egypt's hieroglyphs and paved the way for other scholars to reveal that Egyptian texts dealt with medicine, dentistry, veterinary practices, mathematics, literature, and accounting, and many other topics. Then, early in the 20th century, Howard Carter discovered the tomb of Tutankhamun and its fabulous contents. Exhibitions of this treasure a few decades later resulted in the world's first blockbuster, and its revival in the 21st century has kept interest alive. Join Dr. David Silverman, Professor of Egyptology at Penn, Curator in Charge of the Egyptian Section of the Penn Museum, and curator of the Tutankhamun exhibitions on a guided tour of the mysteries and wonders of this ancient land. He has developed this online course and set it in the galleries of the world famous Penn Museum. He uses many original Egyptian artifacts to illustrate his lectures as he guides students as they make their own discovery of this fascinating culture....

DA
May 27, 2018

This is indeed a great course. It is very simply put and very easy to follow up.\n\nDo join without any hesitancy if you have a genuine interest in learning about the history of ancient Egypt!

RR
Mar 24, 2020

First online course and I loved every moment of it! It felt really refreshing to hear some old names that I used to study as a child. Well done and thanks again for the amazing opportunity!

76 - 100 of 580 Reviews for Introduction to Ancient Egypt and Its Civilization

By Podoinikova M

Jul 28, 2017

Thank you! Actually it was great time i've spent with this course, it takes 3 days and partly my knowledge in these sphere. Also I want to say, that Penn museum is really great, and I wish every worker and museologist a lot of new artefacts and professional inspiration.

By paulina l

Jun 2, 2019

Es un curso muy completo para comprender y conocer el antiguo Egipto. Tanto los videos, como las lecturas complemenatarias, así como el poder hacer notas son de utilidad para resumir la información y poder contestar las preguntas que se hacen al final de cada módulo.

By Alan G S

May 15, 2020

This course, along with Introduction to Ancient Egypt and its Civilization, was an excellent introduction to Egyptology, particularly given the amount of information packed into a relatively short course. I feel much more knowledgeable about this topic than before.

By Madelyn B

Apr 27, 2020

This course was very well taught and easy to understand. Everything was explained well and covered exactly what it said, an introduction to Ancient Egypt. Don't expect minute detail on random subjects, though that would be fascinating. Entertaining, easy, and basic

By Rebecca

Aug 16, 2020

I took this course for fun, and I really enjoyed it. I learnt so much, and its all very interesting. Sometimes I wish I was there to witness the rise and fall of Egypt, and all their customs.

Egypt has been one of my favorite old civilizations, and always will be.

By Priya P

May 2, 2020

I loved the course thoroughly and I would recommend it to anyone who has an interest in the Egyptian civilization and want to delve in deep. I was awed by how beautifully Dr. Silverman explained it. Thanks to him and the Penn Museum for coming up with this course.

By Claire H

May 28, 2017

Dr. Silverman is clear and easy to follow, and I appreciated the many suggested readings that were available online from various institutions. As with any good introduction/overview, it left me more interested and wanting to study the subject in more depth.

By Jaquelina M

Feb 12, 2018

Dr. Silverman thanks a lot! you made me to open my brain once again. I loved all explanation on mummified. This course help me to continue my path on my research in América. Thanks, once again. I will continue studying any course based on ancient cultures.

By Lee M J

Jul 1, 2017

This course has further provided me a more in-depth knowledge and understanding of ancient Egyptian life and culture as well as their beliefs and monumental architecture. Thank you very much Dr Silverman and Penn University for providing this course. : )

By Gary C

Apr 8, 2020

Excellent Course. Thoroughly enjoyable, highly informative and a first-class learning experience! I recommend this to anyone who is interested in the subject and wants to get a good understanding of the key timelines and concepts of Ancient Egypt

By Eliza B

Jun 19, 2020

This course was interesting and easy to follow. I had no prior knowledge of Ancient Egyptian culture or history but now have some concept of how the culture changed over time and general trends in the historical periods. Thank you Dr. Silverman!

By Jennifer B

May 7, 2020

I really enjoyed the course. I gave a great overview of the subject matter as which allowed the student to obtain much more information that just a high level overviews. The companion book and suggested additional reading were quite interesting.

By Álvaro C C

Dec 14, 2018

Un curso interactivo muy rico en contenido. Las explicaciones del Dr Silverman son muy claras y fáciles de entender. Recomendaría que los vídeos fueran mas largos en vez de varios vídeos pequeños pues es mas cómodo. Un curso muy recomendable.

By Catherine G

Nov 13, 2016

enjoyable course I have watched a lot of egyptian documentaries and had a keen interest in the topic and would like to do more study but notice there is not a lot of classes and specialised courses in this in australia which is a real shame.

By Jose M M F

Apr 20, 2020

Muy interesante, me ha dado información clara sobre aspectos esenciales de la cultura del Antiguo Egypto.

Un saludo desde España, en estos momentos difíciles que estamos viviendo todos contra el virus.

Muchas gracias y suerte para todos.

By laura k

I liked the video's very much, especially seeing all the artifacts that were tied to the subject matter, it helped give the information more perspective. I also loved the additional readings. Thank you for such an informative class.

By Eduardo P

Mar 30, 2020

Great introductory course, with a wide vision of the ancient Egyptian culture. A delighful walk through the misteries and wonders of Pharaohs and his ancient country. Recommended for beginners who want to inmmerse in Egyptian culture.

By Theocharis G

Apr 13, 2020

This is an amazing and excellent course. Many thanks to Prof. Silverman and his team for this wonderful experience. I definitely want to attend more courses in Egyptology. Grateful for this unique opportunity to attend a Penn course.

By malka g

Nov 10, 2019

still remember things from the course over a year after I completed it! I did not know I could leave a review then, so doing so now. I visited the Egyptian part of the British Museum and was able to understand it all much better!

By Alexis C

Mar 31, 2019

This course provided valuable information I needed for book research. The lecturing was delivered pretty deadpan and the transcript was not always correct, but otherwise it was good. I learned a lot. Would highly recommend the class!

By Al L

Mar 28, 2020

I thoroughly enjoyed the course. The lectures were informative, with a slight bit of humour thrown in. Great phots that synced well with the lecture. The extra reading was informative. I plan on continuing to the next course.

Feb 28, 2019

Very informative and professional in the way the information was presented. Additional reading materials after each week's videos were helpful! I definitely learned a lot more about Ancient Egypt with the help of this course.

By Taylor

Jul 23, 2017

I thoroughly enjoyed this course. Dr. David Silverman was an excellent instructor. So knowledgeable and put the information in understandable terms. I loved the extra resources, and the Penn artifacts. Thank you so very much.

By Vera

Oct 29, 2017

Very interesting course. I think it's a great place to start your journey through human history. The course is not too fast paced, provides subtitles and is generally easy to understand. Try it, you won't be disappointed.

By Dhanwanti

Feb 12, 2019

I am very happy to get my certificate from the University of Pennsylvania in this course. This course has many important topics that can help me in my further education.

Thanks you sir