Back to Introduction to Classical Music

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to Classical Music by Yale University

Using a simple and enjoyable teaching style, this course introduces the novice listener to the wonders of classical music, from Bach fugues to Mozart symphonies to Puccini operas....

SL
Mar 6, 2019

Really appreciate Prof. Wright give us such rich content and sophisticated course. I really enjoy and love it. I am looking forward to seeing more high-level courses from Prof. Wright if there is any.

EV
Oct 15, 2020

Wonderful course where Craig Wright delves into all eras of classical music and takes you along for the wonderful ride! Craig Wright is one of the best instructors I have come across! Enjoy the ride!

951 - 975 of 978 Reviews for Introduction to Classical Music

By Titus J M

Aug 17, 2017

now I have a new view and better dimension of classical music. thanks to Yale University, thanks to coursera.

By Leen R

Apr 6, 2016

Great course! I learned a lot, discovered new music and the way mr. Wright presents the content is very good.

By Kimberley J

Jan 3, 2020

A nice guide to classical music. I find the quizes too easy and too easy to do again until you get 100%.

By Yaakov H

May 11, 2017

simply wonderful, but hated his gregorian chant bit. as well assumes you know a bit about music theory.

By Ruan P

Wonderful course which would have been better if I could access the text outside of the US.

By kundan p

Dec 21, 2015

Nice! I am enjoying it!!

explained in simple language, so it is easy to understand.

By Samya K

Jul 19, 2020

Slightly boring at some times but overall engaging and extremely diverse and fun.

By Samuel G

Jan 27, 2021

Good course to start learning and enjoying about Classical Music

By Joy S

Jan 7, 2017

Super long. Super informative. Loved the Beethoven week.

By Jeff B

Jan 17, 2020

Great course! I wish I had taken it 50 years ago!

By Juan C A E

Aug 1, 2020

It was really fun until the last two weeks.

By Marco C

Jul 6, 2020

Very good. I want some more

By JAHFAR M

By petya

Dec 27, 2018

ok

Feb 26, 2017

The content is interesting but the videos are quite long. Also, in the audit version all quizzes are blocked.

By Emil

May 13, 2019

Not exactly, what I've expected, but one could learn a few new things. It is informative.

By Alex C

Jun 4, 2017

Good lecturer, nice focus on the subject... it awakes your sensibility for Music.

By Akash K

Feb 7, 2016

He is awesome in reaching every aspect of Classical music.

By Julia C

Feb 14, 2021

This course is far more technical than what I was led to believe from the description. You don't even hear a piece of music until the fourth week, the first three being taken up with explaining octaves, notes, etc.. I was not looking to read music only listen to it.

The fourth week turned into something of a travelogue, showing pictures of places, discussing histories of cities. It was also at this point that I noticed a number of spelling and grammatical mistakes in the transcripts under the videos.

Dr. Wright appears to be an extremely intelligence, learned man. However, his speaking style did not draw me in at all. I took to reading the transcripts to do the quizzes rather than listening to him speak (and so noticed the errors).

I am unenrolling after four weeks.

By Michael G L

Jun 26, 2020

Over 70 quizzes! Not hard but tedious beyond belief. Pick your best questions, condense down to five or six tests, and this course is a four or five. Looks like the prof is unorganized and doesn't do know what is key to learning in his own course with this scatter approach to quizzes.