Back to Introduction to Classical Music

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to Classical Music by Yale University

Using a simple and enjoyable teaching style, this course introduces the novice listener to the wonders of classical music, from Bach fugues to Mozart symphonies to Puccini operas....

SL
Mar 6, 2019

Really appreciate Prof. Wright give us such rich content and sophisticated course. I really enjoy and love it. I am looking forward to seeing more high-level courses from Prof. Wright if there is any.

EV
Oct 15, 2020

Wonderful course where Craig Wright delves into all eras of classical music and takes you along for the wonderful ride! Craig Wright is one of the best instructors I have come across! Enjoy the ride!

151 - 175 of 852 Reviews for Introduction to Classical Music

By Chelsea N H

I really enjoyed this course. This course really broadened my knowledge of classical music and it definitely lived up to my expectations. I was never really experienced in classical music but this course has sparked my interest in it. If you take this course, I am positive you will be happy with its results.

By Stephan N

Jul 4, 2020

This course gives a broad overview of Western classical music from the Middle Ages to the 21st century. The first three weeks give an overview of some basic music theory, so if you have a background in music, you may want to breeze through those quizzes and get right to week 4, where the action really starts.

By Diep C H

Apr 9, 2020

Excellent!!!, a huge thank to the team for putting this together, especially Mr. Craig Wright, I have gained a lot insight and appreciated classical music even more, I love the way the class was taught, it's very visual, interesting and in a moderate length. Definitely love love love the office hour too <3

By Fernanda G

Jun 2, 2020

Un curso muy bueno. El profesor tiene un carisma que resulta muy grato al momento de aprender temas tan densos como la historia de la música clásica. Lo único que me costó como estudiante de Chile fue que entender las traducciones y diferencias de nombres entre la escala ABCDEFG vs Do Re Mi Fa Sol La Si.

By Olya M

Nov 19, 2017

Очень довольна курсом! Интересный взгляд на западную европейскую музыку (и искусство в целом), взгляд американца. Новые параллели, новые примеры. Хорошие, не скучные лекции (с субтитрами или без), жаль, что курс окончился.

Хочется продолжать и узнавать новое или повторить "старое" вместе с Йелем.

Спасибо !

By Ritsu N

May 29, 2016

This was a fantastic course!! I truly enjoyed Prof. Wright's lectures and listening to tons of beautiful and interesting music pieces with his informative commentaries. What a wonderful experience! I would recommend this course to anyone who loves classical music or is interested learning more about it.

By Susan C

Aug 5, 2020

An outstanding course with amazing multi-modal coverage of Classical musical history, cultural and technological influences, and lots and lots of music to listen to and great support to understand it! I really loved this course and learned much more than I thought possible. Craig is an amazing teacher!

By shuhua

Sep 14, 2020

Professor Craig Wright is so knowledgeable. He teaches a difficult subject with interesting art examples and music pieces. Especially, he has a strong musical networking, he brought some distinguished colleagues and friends to demon the music. I learn so much from this course. Highly recommended.

By Álvaro R

Jul 4, 2020

Es un curso muy completo, muy fácil de llevar incluso para quien no cuenta con una educación musical formal previa, puesto que cuenta con una buena cantidad de material tanto auditivo como visual. Las explicaciones del profesor son claras y las evaluaciones requieren de la concentración necesaria.

By Tim M

Dec 14, 2017

This class is part music-theory, part music appreciation, part exposition, and part history.

I enjoyed the guest presentations, breakdown of compositions, and visualizations that were created for some of the compositions.

It's one of the best classes I've ever taken, I can't recommend it enough.

By gloria l

Jul 12, 2018

Having a total blast and it’s only week one. The explanations, visuals and modern comparisons are a delight ! ( who ever came up with comparing and contrasting Swedish House Mafia with a classical example is a genius!) The tutor is ace the curriculum looks clear and simple. Thank you Thank you

By Ruben R

Oct 23, 2020

This has been a unique experience. This course gave me the deep knowledge to go further and motivation to learn more. I took it on the pandemic days along with my 75 year old father. We are in different countries and this brought delightful coversations. It is truly a treasure. Thanks Maestro!

By jose i m

Sep 7, 2020

Excelente curso para todos los amantes de la música. Desde su historia, teoría, biografía y anécdotas de los principales compositores. Este curso sirve para entender y estudiar conceptos que ayudarán a quienes tocan algún instrumento, y a quienes incluso no sean fanáticos de la música clásica.

By Aldo B

Feb 2, 2018

I'm really satisfied, everything was awsome. I just wish that it could be a little longer and deeper in some sections, but, in general, it was really good. Now that i complete the course i feel pleased and grateful for everyone involved and for the existence of internet. Thanks from Brazil!

By Elias B

Such a fun and educational course for the classical music lover. It'll make my visits to the opera and symphony even that much more engaging. Thank you for opening up this course during the Pandemic -- it provided solace during these unprecedented times. That's what music does, right? :)

By Shravya K

Oct 2, 2020

Professor Craig Wright is exceptional. I love how passionate and technical he is, but also how goofy he is and makes the course seem fun. The course is very technical and teaches about terms in italian opera, and breaks down the technical differences between each classical time period.

By Cherishma J R

Aug 13, 2020

Excellent course! Would take it multiple times. 'Eloquent' in his approach, Prof Craig shed new light on the way music will be perceived by me going forward. Would recommend it to anyone looking to take their understanding of music to a new level! Thanks Prof Craig and Yale. Well done!

By Hrish

Nov 16, 2019

This is one of the most delightful and fulfilling Coursera courses I have completed. Professor Wright has done a fantastic job in presenting a complex subject, focusing on the important details without getting lost in the enormity of the subject. His screen presence is one of the best.

By Romy B

Apr 25, 2020

Excellent course, and special thanks to Craig - who did the course very entertaining and simple to understand. I highly recommend the course - even with no knowledge of classical music at all. The videos are high quality and there are many relations also with art and historic context.

By Elena Z

Jun 24, 2020

I enjoyed going through this course a lot! Easy to engage, interesting to listen. Filled in my blank spots in music history and systematized my fragmentary knowledge back from music school. Thank you, Professor Craig and Yale University team! Great honour to be a part of this course

By ASLIHAN S

Sep 20, 2020

That was an amazing content. I learned many things but first of all met my expectations which was to listen a classical piece by understanding how it was composed. Thank you so much first of all to Craig David and all the people behind the scene. Hope to meet you one day at Yale

By Joanne M

Jan 31, 2018

The course is extremely informative. I was able to pick out all the information I wanted (as a non-musician but music lover who wanted to learn more about Classical Music). Overall, I was very impressed by the course in terms of quality of information and its clear presentation.

By André C

Feb 23, 2018

A very well crafted course! The videos are just great, and the quality of the classes were beyond my first expectations. Professor Wright is also a wonderful educator and a very charismatic man. My many thanks to all the Coursera and Yale team for providing this amazing course!

By Jane D

Nov 5, 2020

A lively, informative introduction to classical music. Prof. Wright is a fantastic teacher and the combination of slides, videos and audio clips combined with the historical context made each lesson a treat. It whetted my appetite for more study and listening. Thanks!