Back to Introduction to Classical Music

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to Classical Music by Yale University

Using a simple and enjoyable teaching style, this course introduces the novice listener to the wonders of classical music, from Bach fugues to Mozart symphonies to Puccini operas....

SL
Mar 6, 2019

Really appreciate Prof. Wright give us such rich content and sophisticated course. I really enjoy and love it. I am looking forward to seeing more high-level courses from Prof. Wright if there is any.

EV
Oct 15, 2020

Wonderful course where Craig Wright delves into all eras of classical music and takes you along for the wonderful ride! Craig Wright is one of the best instructors I have come across! Enjoy the ride!

201 - 225 of 894 Reviews for Introduction to Classical Music

By Monica M

Aug 8, 2020

Enjoyed it all. Professor seems to delight in all epochs and cultures of music equally, irresistably draws the student with him into the historic and visual arts context of the musical styles, immeasurably increases knowledge and enjoyment. Highest recommendation.

By Joyce E W

Jan 15, 2021

One of the best music classes I have ever taken. Professor Wright is so knowledgeable, and his teaching style is the best. He breaks things down so everyone can understand them. If you have never taken a class on music history, you do not want to miss this.

By Tan K

Aug 4, 2020

Professor Craig Wright is a very engaging lecturer. The course was never boring at any point and very informative. The assessments are manageable and more focus is placed on the learning process. I thoroughly enjoyed it and would highly recommend this course.

By Αθανάσιος Μ

Jan 8, 2017

I did not imagine, that I would have so much to learn in a short course in a such enjoyable fashion. The affection for the οbject, as well as the experience and well metabolized knowledge of Professor Wright, is worthy of consideration by every music lover...

By Jessica S

Jul 23, 2016

I thought this course was well structured and provided a great introduction to classical music. As someone who listens to classical music I am better able to appreciate the various textures and influences of many composers. Thank you so much for this course!

By Suzanne S

Aug 15, 2020

This was a well structured and prepared course. Dr. Wright's knowledge and enthusiasm of music is infectious. Anyone who took this class came out more well rounded not only in music but in all the arts.It was enjoyable! Thank you Dr. Wright and his team.

By Albert A F

Jun 12, 2019

Excelente curso, completo, muy bien estructurado y las evaluaciones muy pertinentes a los contenidos.

Ademas es un curso muy integrador con otras áreas del conocimiento, la técnica, el arte y la historia se unen en un mensaje exquisito y muy bien presentado.

By Christian M

Oct 23, 2018

Professor Craig White is such a fascinating instructor. Finishing my course now, I am already missing his enjoyable visits to my home and his talent at making concepts that were complex to me understandable. A pleasure to have followed this course with him!

By Jaime R

Sep 18, 2019

Exceptional course, very well taught. Besides the obvious analysis of many composers, a remarkable highlight is the comparison between music and other arts, such as architecture and painting. This helps to see music in the natural evolution of the world.

By Linda t B

Aug 13, 2016

Very interesting course about the development of classical music.

By giving comparisons between music, architecture, visual arts, literature and by giving some historical background of the specific time periods, it give a good idea how the music evolved.

By Zully Y d l R G

Jan 9, 2021

Es un curso muy completo, ameno e interesante que enseña qué es la música clásica y lo que significa para la vida moderna. Mr Wright es un excelente profesor, muy creativo y didáctico para presentar sus temas. El mejor curso que he llevado en Coursera.

By Huang W L

Jun 26, 2017

I really enjoy this course a lot!!! Detailed explanation, background of composers and brief history, examples, class videos, comparison between music in different period, and arts and architecture of those period. Hope to have more courses like this :D

By Rosalee C

Aug 17, 2016

What a wonder and enlightening course, spiced with a little humor. I have always wanted to study music, but didn't have the money or time. Now in my retirement, I can enjoy what I have always wanted to do. I looking forward to other music courses.

By Mark M

Dec 18, 2020

What a terrific introduction course. I found myself delaying the course sessions/completion to drag it out more so I could lengthen the enjoyment time I had while taking the course! Really a great informative format and course syllabus. Thank you!

By Pietro G

Jun 18, 2020

Very well done and interesting, the professor is really passionate about both the music and teaching. Gives a good overview of both musical theory and the "capstones" of classical music from the middle ages to the present day. Again, very well done!

By Ian T

Oct 1, 2020

Most enjoyable, informative and inspirational from beginning to end. The course opens up the whole world of classical music and inspires the student to explore more and more in their own musical journey.

Many thanks to Professor Wright and his team.

By Max C

Jan 31, 2019

This was a very well put together course. Many areas of significant western classical music periods were discussed and shown here. The best part of this course was hearing about music that one may not of been as aware about but excellent as well.

By Rob T

Jan 2, 2018

Great introduction to classical music. Goes in depth at times, but is accessible to all I believe. You don't necessarily need to have a musical background, although you might find yourself needing to work a lot harder in order to understand things.

By ana b

Aug 1, 2020

Execellent course. Congratulations for my dear Professor Cright. He is a brilliant teacher and I really . I really felt like her real pupil, listening to his classes and taking his quizzes . Thank you so much for share with us all what you know.

By Ana B C C

Jan 19, 2021

Es un curso excelente diseñado para personas que no tienen idea de lo que es la música clásica hasta estudiantes formales. Se toman muchos temas que a veces se omiten en las escuelas de música e incluso universidades. Doy la mejor puntuación.

By Melanie L

Jul 24, 2020

I did not take this course for a certificate. I enjoyed it thoroughly and enjoyed it so much. Some of it was over my head, but I sure learned so much. I highly recommend this course. I certainly have a deeper understanding of classical music.

By Debra L

Jan 19, 2021

Thank you Professor Wright. I have studied classical piano, in my younger years, for 14 years, and I must say I have learned so much and will forever listen to classical music differently from the wealth of information given in this course.

By Alyssa R

Jun 14, 2018

Professor Craig Wright is very engaging and knowledgable. I learned more than expected about the physics of music and came away with a very diverse classical music playlist. Looking forward to more courses of this kind by Professor Wright.

By Amber G

Jul 2, 2020

It was a joy to go through this course and made a relaxing end to the day. The professor is extremely knowledgeable and brings a wealth of personal experiences to the class. Don't be worried about the time commitment, it will just flow.

By Kevin W

Jun 23, 2020

This was a great course. A wonderful mix of music history, development, form and insight into composers. I really learned a lot and will be able to listen to music with more understanding and even more appreciation. Thank you Craig!