Back to Introduction to Genomic Technologies

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to Genomic Technologies by Johns Hopkins University

This course introduces you to the basic biology of modern genomics and the experimental tools that we use to measure it. We'll introduce the Central Dogma of Molecular Biology and cover how next-generation sequencing can be used to measure DNA, RNA, and epigenetic patterns. You'll also get an introduction to the key concepts in computing and data science that you'll need to understand how data from next-generation sequencing experiments are generated and analyzed. This is the first course in the Genomic Data Science Specialization....

It was well taught. I liked the fact the two professors focused on two different subjects- biology and statistics portion of this course. The paragraphs written below each video was extremely helpful.

KK
Nov 20, 2017

Relatively nice introduction course, contents are maybe rather limited, yet as an instructive course, it does provide a clear overview which correlates well with the required answers for the quizzes!

51 - 75 of 560 Reviews for Introduction to Genomic Technologies

By Cláudia A

Jun 18, 2021

The course was very informative, I learned new concepts, and made discoveries about statistics that I didn't know and was totally new to me. I felt the need to look for other sources of study, I believe I could make some files available for further studies.

By Nikita M

Aug 13, 2019

Strong intro. I have a good amount of Data Science experience, so intro lectures generally make me fall asleep. This is the first one I enjoyed. Felt like a good balance of a few key topics from general data science and genomics topics that were new to me.

By Juan C S

Sep 3, 2021

Excellent introduction to genomic science. I really valued the emphasis the course instructors make on having strong knowledge foundations of the technologies used in this field and how important statistics and experimental design are for proper science.

By Christopher D N

Apr 23, 2020

I learned so much in this course. There are lots of basics in genomics that I "sort of" knew about but didn't really understand. Same for data science. This course helped me getting my footing in this exciting branch of contemporary biological inquiry.

By Miranda D

Jun 29, 2017

Explains genomic technologies and important statistical tools needed to effectively start more in depth study. Highly recommend especially if you are already familiar with biology and/or computer science but want to specialize in genomics.

By Jiayi L

May 3, 2020

Totally love this course. Illustrated the basics of genomics, computational biology and statistics in a very simple and clear way. Helped elucidating many previously confounding concepts, eg, genomics vs genetics, permutaion test, etc...

By Andriy D

Nov 5, 2016

The course had a relevant pace, gettnig more and more complex and difficult in later weeks. The overall explanations were easy-to-understand, well described and interesting enough that this was my only second course finished on Coursera!

By Sakim S

Aug 28, 2021

A pretty decent introduction to the topics ahead. the bits on statistics do require some prior elementary exposure but I would not worry too much about understanding 100% of everything. The project was challenging and fun to finish too!

By Maria D

May 5, 2020

Very interesting course. With a little investment of time, the course offer a good introduction, it is full of content and the final task is very interesting.

Very satisfied and lookin forward to the next course of the specialization.

By Sandeep K

Aug 11, 2019

This course briefs the basics required to understand the role of genomics and importance of statistics in big data analysis. I appreciate the efforts done by instructor to teach this tough course in easy way with good examples.

By Kovalt J

May 9, 2020

Comprehensive Introduction to Genomic bioinformatics. Including a brief and precise introduction to central dogma - dna->rna->protein, the basic algorithm in bioinformatics, and how the importance of statistics in this field.

By Seram A S

Dec 4, 2018

Truly, a wonderful introduction to an interesting course. Got difficulties somewhere especially in the final project article. Will definitely complete the entire specialization. Thanks you to the amazing faculties.

By Mladen R

Dec 26, 2016

It was a really good course for introduction with the genomics and all related to it. I like that the course can be attended without paying the fee, unlike some others in this Specialization. Keep up the good work!

By kayod F

Nov 1, 2018

Brilliantly put together with conversational language thus making it very easy to follow all the videos. The instructors are experts in the field thus were able to make the course very simple, yet with good depth!

By Usama I P

Jun 9, 2020

I am very motivated after doing this course. The method of teaching was awesome. I really loved the course. Thanks Steven Salzberg, Jeff Leek, John Hopkins and Coursera for such a wonderful learning opportunity.

By Camila F G

Aug 13, 2020

I just loved the course, I feel like it's what I needed right now. I intend to use the knowledge gained in a better planning of my doctoral project and future analyses. Thanks for the course, you were great!

By Afreen A

Mar 3, 2021

Really educational introductory course. My only suggestion would be to add more info or more basic information on the biostatistics part of the course for those who may not have a statistics background

By Fadipe T O

Sep 6, 2017

This is an amazing introductory course which prepares the student ahead for other courses in the specialization. It also lays a solid foundation and stimulates interest in completing the specialization.

By Sanyam S

By Philipp A

Mar 18, 2021

Condensed recap and introduction as well as a brief outlook of what to expect from follow-up courses in this specialization. Recommended for people with basic knowledge in biology and statistics.

By Kenny W L L

Aug 2, 2021

T​his course gives me a brief introduction into genomics and how technology might help and has helped. The only complain is thatthe quiz are way too easy compared to university level course.

By 朴美玲

Oct 13, 2020

Very helpful courses with detailed quiz. And the reading material was re-edited in a very thought way. It helped a lot in reading the content and understanding the logic behind the content.

By Edson R A d O

Feb 14, 2020

Clear and concise. Ministered by researchers with outstanding background in research, able to translate topics of relatively high complexity into easy language for a broad audience.

By Sora K

Jun 30, 2021

This lecture is just amazing! Before taking this, I even didn't know RNA. But many thanks to lecturers, I could fully understand many things related to Biology, CS and Statistics!

By Shahrooz Z

Mar 6, 2020

The tutorial videos were concise while delivering the essential material. The speakers were also engaging and it was a joy to watch them. Overall fairly satisfied with the course.