Back to Introduction to GIS Mapping

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to GIS Mapping by University of Toronto

Get started learning about the fascinating and useful world of geographic information systems (GIS)! In this first course of the specialization GIS, Mapping, and Spatial Analysis, you'll learn about what a GIS is, how to get started with the software yourself, how things we find in the real world can be represented on a map, how we record locations using coordinates, and how we can make a two-dimensional map from a three-dimensional Earth. In the course project, you will create your own GIS data by tracing geographic features from a satellite image for a location and theme of your choice. This course will give you a strong foundation in mapping and GIS that will give you the understanding you need to start working with GIS, and to succeed in the other courses in this specialization. This course is for anyone who wants to learn about mapping and GIS. You don't have to have any previous experience - just your curiosity! The course includes both practical software training and explanations of the concepts you need to know to make informed decisions as you start your journey to becoming a GIS analyst. You will need a Windows computer with ArcGIS Desktop installed....

MH

Jul 23, 2019

Very Good course. Helpful to learn the basic fundamentals of GIS and to learn to digitize a map for the first time. I recommend it to any beginner who is trying to start working with GIS.

PR

Jan 16, 2020

Great course. Don Boyes is very clear when explaining. I think you get to understand a lot of the concepts behind the software that are not easy to get when browsing through ArcGIS.

26 - 50 of 67 Reviews for Introduction to GIS Mapping

By Gabriel M

Apr 05, 2020

Both informative and applicable, I not only enjoyed this fascinating introductory course, but also appreciated Prof. Boyes's straightforward, clear and engaging style of presentation. This course is a must for anyone interested in learning how to work with GIS (or maps of any kind).

By Luis A M C

Feb 14, 2020

This was an awesome course. It has provided me with the foundations of geographic information systems in a clear and accessible way thanks to Professor Don Boyce. Not only this, but now I have the motivation of learning more and deepen my knowledge of this field.

By Dariia K

Apr 05, 2020

Great course for beginners in GIS and people who want to have systematic knowledge in GIS and appropriately understand GIS terminology. The very professional lecturer who gives interesting real-world examples

By Paula R

Jan 16, 2020

By Khaled A

Feb 11, 2020

Amazing course, really well done and I highly recommend it. Thanks, Don and the rest of the team for organising such a valuable course I look forward to the rest.

By Hillson G

Feb 20, 2020

Excellent Course. Great Professor and the way he delivers the course contents in just amazing. I had learned many things to get started with GIS.

By Juan A G

Oct 15, 2019

Excellent. Maybe a little tricky in the scale and projection areas, but I think all the fine for the first course. Thanks!

By RAUL M M

Feb 28, 2020

Very well thought of format and delivery of the course. Kudos to everyone involved in making this course. Thanks.

By Daniel F F C

Jan 25, 2020

Excelente. Los topicos son cubiertos con suficiente información para ser aplicados y la enseñanza es efectiva.

By Daniel L

Oct 21, 2019

I love this course . I learned a lot of basic principles which I did not know . Also I love Don Noyes's joke .

By Donny B

Mar 16, 2020

Professor speaks with clarity and promotes the comprehension of important concepts. Good lectures for sure.

By Herimitsinjo R

Oct 07, 2019

It explained all the basis of GIS before getting into the mapping and analysis works.

By Carlos V D B

Mar 10, 2020

The professor is really didactic! He really conveyed me the message.

By Motshwaedi S

Oct 25, 2019

The course was very helpful as it gave me a taste to practical GIS.

By Michael E S

Sep 06, 2019

The course was structured well and Don is a very good instructor!

By Zhihao H

Mar 15, 2020

Pretty helpful to know basic concept if you want to use Arcgis.

By Tashdid H

Apr 07, 2020

The Professor is amazing. He makes it very easy to understand.

By Muhammad D W A

Mar 10, 2020

Sir Don Boyes explanation is to the point and easy to follow.

By MBENOUN J M L

Jan 06, 2020

Très intéressant lorsqu'on s'introduit dans les SIG!!!!

By Laurent M

Jul 29, 2019

very educative and match my carrer, i love it thanks.

By Faisal S

Aug 02, 2019

Superbly instructed the digital course of its kind

By Sanjeet K

Aug 14, 2019

Very informative and fun, wish to learn more now.

By Mohammad A

Dec 08, 2019

it's good course with advanced information

By King V

Dec 21, 2019

Really fun and gaining knowledgeable!

By MD. I H

Mar 25, 2020

this is a great course. I love it.