Back to Introduction to Portfolio Construction and Analysis with Python

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to Portfolio Construction and Analysis with Python by EDHEC Business School

The practice of investment management has been transformed in recent years by computational methods. This course provides an introduction to the underlying science, with the aim of giving you a thorough understanding of that scientific basis. However, instead of merely explaining the science, we help you build on that foundation in a practical manner, with an emphasis on the hands-on implementation of those ideas in the Python programming language. This course is the first in a four course specialization in Data Science and Machine Learning in Asset Management but can be taken independently. In this course, we cover the basics of Investment Science, and we'll build practical implementations of each of the concepts along the way. We'll start with the very basics of risk and return and quickly progress to cover a range of topics including several Nobel Prize winning concepts. We'll cover some of the most popular practical techniques in modern, state of the art investment management and portfolio construction. As we cover the theory and math in lecture videos, we'll also implement the concepts in Python, and you'll be able to code along with us so that you have a deep and practical understanding of how those methods work. By the time you are done, not only will you have a foundational understanding of modern computational methods in investment management, you'll have practical mastery in the implementation of those methods....

MA
Nov 29, 2020

Awesome Course, Great instructors that give a nice balance of theory and practice, the practice is very hands-on and will help you understand the theory and give you useful tools from the first week.

SW
Aug 5, 2020

I am self taught in Python and have an industry background in Finance. This course was a good connector/provided additional insight on using Python to process portfolio performance and data analysis.

51 - 75 of 308 Reviews for Introduction to Portfolio Construction and Analysis with Python

By Yoon K Y

Jun 9, 2020

Fantastic hands on course on working with Python and financial information and modelling. Will definitely recommend this course to anyone technically capable and interested in portfolio management. Vijay was an excellent instructor with clear direction and explanations and his "mistakes" were even more insightful as he explained the common gotchas.

By Alexander D

Jan 26, 2020

Great course all-around. Extensive materials in both the theory and praxis. I really liked the code-along lab sessions (which are 100% bug free) and the exams, as those require you to actually perform calculations instead of just reciting parts of the classwork.

This course teaches a lot more than any other MOOC I have taken thus far on coursera.

By Ricardo P

Feb 19, 2021

Thanks to the instructors Lionel and Vijay and to our peer Emanuele Chini in tests and general support questions.

Great course! fundamental theory is clearly explained by Lionel and Vijay just takes amounts of knowledge down to the earth so it is easy to learn not only Python but the over financial theory about portfolios. Highly recommended!!!

By Sahil S

Jun 20, 2020

Very good course. Good mix of lectures and lab sessions. Despite having programmed in python and using numpy and pandas in the past, I learned a lot in the lab sessions and really enjoyed the hands on nature of them. I learned ideas that I feel I can actually use for my personal financial planning. Highly recommend doing this course!

By Kanix B

Aug 31, 2021

Great course for the money paid. Have lots of resources to follow. However, not much help from the instructor, but compared to what we paid, what we receive from the course, the instructor's prepared resources, and coursera is immeasurable. Thank you coursera and the instructor for creating this beautiful course.

By Judy N

I have been doing portfolio risk analysis using GNU R and have been looking for a good introduction to Python. The covered Python content is a great introduction to portfolio construction and analysis tools. Also the balance with the lectures is good. Looking forward to the advanced topics in the next module.

By Apostolos E

Nov 24, 2020

The course is really nice. I have learned many interest thing about python programming and investment management. Especially, the ipywidgets is an impressive tool. The portfolio construction techniques are presented in a very comprehensive way even to somebody who is not familiar with financial analysis

By Munawar D

Lionel step by step explanations makes it easy to follow and understand the main idea of the course even though the complexity increased towards the end. With Vijay's guide on analysis with Python, the course is easier to understand. The use of Python makes it easier to create many scenarios.

By Hoel E S

Apr 18, 2020

Very well explained, especially for me who was completely novice to Python.

I also came to love the accent of my fellow citizen sir Martellini. Overall, it gives a very good insight over the topic and I would strongly recommend this course to anyone who wants to better understand finance.

By Abusufyan I M

Apr 7, 2020

The course exceeded all my expectations. My profound gratitude to both instructors for democratizing education. Only through such platforms can students of knowledge acquire the best and most contemporary knowledge in their fields of interest. Thank you Coursera, for making it possible.

By Toby C

Nov 17, 2020

Fantastic course with a very good pace. Lectures are pitched at quite an advanced level so a background in finance is very helpful. The compbination of labs and lectures is excellent and the quality of the Labs in particular was superb. Supporting documentation was also veruy useful.

By Alex H

May 23, 2021

This is a fantastic course. It is a great way to learn relevant concepts in investment management while gaining good exposure to Python and relevant packages such as Pandas. I've been in the investment industry for nearly 20 years and still found this course to be time well spent.

By Pasquale E

May 19, 2021

A complete introduction to the modern techniques of Portfolio analysis from the Markowitz theory to the recent LDI model.

It is not a basic level course. You should already posses a good knowledge about Python and have a good idea about how financial market works.

Very recommended!

By Roberto S

Jan 24, 2021

This was an excellent MOOC. Very well organized with a healthy mix of theory and practice. The hands on labs are very well explained step by step. Highly recommend this series to anyone wanting to learn about portfolio analysis. Looking forward to the next courses in the series.

By Jiang X

Jun 6, 2020

Plenty of concepts that can help the beginner-intermediate finance professional. Lab sessions were great at developing python and finance skills. Use of python was very adequate for calculations that are tedious (e.g. Monte Carlo analyses or duration calculations).

By Alexander K

Nov 17, 2019

Finally i was able to replace my 12-tab excel with a jupyter notebook and a libraries.py!

I recommend going through this course while using your own broker's APIs to get the most out of it. Looking forward to more papers and advanced lectures ahead!

By Marina F

May 4, 2021

Thanks to the administration for the financial aid provided.

I am glad that I had the opportunity to take this course. The materials are very useful, everything is clear and consistently explained from installing the program to executing scripts

By Ahmed R

Jun 3, 2020

I have a PhD in nuclear physics and exactly in astroparticle physics and I found this course fantastic. I enjoyed every video from both professors. Thank you really for this opportunity to improve my skills in quantitative finance.

By Liu L

Sep 4, 2021

This is a very useful course providing step-by-step guide to basic portfolio allocation models as well as theoretical insights. Recommend to those who have just started a career in or want to develop knowledge on asset management.

By Roberta S

Oct 10, 2020

It was hard for me coming from finance with barely any phyton knowledge, but worth it.

it would be useful to offer a premium package with live chat teacher, as I got stuck in a few bits and it took me a long time to get out of it.

By Antony J

Oct 10, 2020

Excellent module that is quite misleading in having the title "Introduction"! The course builds up to state-of-the-art asset/liability matching and assumes, I think, a solid grounding in financial economics. Really enjoyed it.

By Giulio F

Jun 26, 2020

Very well structured course, guides you towards a more comprehensive understanding of both python and financial markets. Vijay is an outstanding instructor and gives you plenty little tricks useful to be a "pythonish" programmer

By Jasper J

Apr 17, 2020

Awesome! Totally worth the money without a question! I had no previous programming experience and this course gave me the tools to analyse my portfolio and come up with better strategies than before, all with the help of Python!

By Brian H

Jan 22, 2020

Thanks to the instructors! While Lionel introduced the financial theory in a comprehensible way, Vijay's lab laid the fundaments for an even deeper understanding. I really enjoyed how the coding matched the financial theories.

By Veysel E T

Jun 25, 2020

Amazing course to learn modern portfolio theories along with Python skills. No previous experience needed in Python however it is easier to understand if you have a financial background on topics around portfolio management.