Back to Introduction to C# Programming and Unity

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to C# Programming and Unity by University of Colorado System

This course is all about starting to learn how to develop video games using the C# programming language and the Unity game engine on Windows or Mac. Why use C# and Unity instead of some other language and game engine? Well, C# is a really good language for learning how to program and then programming professionally. Also, the Unity game engine is very popular with indie game developers; Unity games were downloaded 16,000,000,000 times in 2016! Finally, C# is one of the programming languages you can use in the Unity environment. This course doesn't assume you have any previous programming experience. Don't worry if you've never written code before; we'll start at the very beginning and work our way up to building small games by the end of the course. Throughout the course you'll learn core programming concepts that apply to lots of programming languages, including C#, and you'll also learn how to apply those concepts when you develop games. Computer programming is really fun in general, and programming games is even better! Caution: Beginning (assuming no prior programming knowledge) is not the same as easy (not hard to do). Learning to program IS hard to do, especially since this course is essentially the first half of a freshman-level college course. Meeting the course challenges while you master the material will be rewarding to you, but doing that will require hard work and maybe even a few expletives along the way. Module 1: Write your first C# console application and Unity script and learn how we store data in our programs Module 2: Learn how we use classes and objects to implement our code Module 3: Learn the basics of Unity 2D games and discover how we make decisions in our code Module 4: Get and use player input in your Unity games Module 5: Complete final peer review and take "Final Exam" “Unity” is a trademark or registered trademark of Unity Technologies or its affiliates in the U.S. and elsewhere. This course is an independent work and is not sponsored by, authorized by, or affiliated with Unity Technologies or its affiliates...

MM
Jul 29, 2020

The instructor extremely enthusiastic and passion which is really rare to see but amazing. Thank you so much for teaching this course it really helped to kick start my interest in game development :)

JT
Jan 17, 2020

Very good instructor walks you through every step and then has assignments for you to do on your own to practice your coding skills. Emphasizes using documentation and practicing fundamentals.

51 - 75 of 499 Reviews for Introduction to C# Programming and Unity

By Syed A H

Jul 6, 2020

This is the best programming course I've ever taken so far. Dr. Tim has a great friendly personality and makes the learning process so dynamic and intuitive that it never feels boring. The cherry on the cake is his excellent ability to sniff jokes in his in-video quizzes which tempt to check what the response to the wrong answers are. I really loved the course.

By Xiaoyi W

Jul 16, 2020

I really enjoyed the lectures in this course. With lots of hand-on projects, I learned useful C# grammars and Unity Editor and Engine usage. I just cannot wait to take the next course in this specialization. However I would recommend this course to people with some programming experience, the C# basics part might be a little bit hard for green hands.

By Gabriel C G

May 16, 2020

The professor is really good and the course was great. The only thing I would get rid of are the small in-video quizzes. I admit they are funny, but they are pretty useless most of the time. If the right answers weren't so obvious (cause all the other ones are jokes), it would be useful. Still was a great course. I will definitely take the next one.

By Sergio G

Dec 28, 2020

The learning was really enjoyable, I would only think about harder in-video questions, maybe it's part of the personal teaching method of professor Chamillard, but appart from that, I learned many new things and about basic programming in C# in Unity, and of course, I'm looking forward for my next course hopefully with the Colorado University.

By Andres G E

May 14, 2020

It is a good and interesting course, just be aware that the programming you do for C# is very basic. If you know anything about programming, my suggestion is to just skip the C# part and dive into the Unity modules. I did learn new things on basic video game programming and development. Thank you very much Dr. Chamillard.

By ADRIANO C

Aug 20, 2020

Dr.T is exceptionally well-versed in his explanations. He's clearly driven by passion for teaching and programming. The overall course is exceptionally organized and gives all the support you need even if you're starting from scratch into the programming lessons.

Highly recommended, one of the best courses on the platform.

By David D B

Jun 10, 2021

T​his is an excellent course for learning game development. The lectures are clear and well organized but what makes this course stand out is the thought that the Instructor has put into the course. A solid foundation in object oriented programming is given along with a solid foundation in Unity Game engine concepts.

By Muhammad M

Jun 8, 2020

Every concept is explained well by Dr.T, His teaching style is fantastic. The course isn't rushed either. I like the fact only basics of c# programming introduced and time isn't wasted on things like arrays, how to call methods etc. The foundation is instilled and that's all that a good course would want.

By SAMIT P B ( i C

Aug 17, 2020

This is a fantastic course for starting game development through Unity and C#. Dr. T's enthusiasm is absolutely motivating and the presentation keeps you going and and retains your motivation throughout. The sequencing is excellent too. Highly recommended to anyone interested in entering this field.

By Essam A

Dec 1, 2020

Thanks a lot Dr.T

Thanks a lot Coursera team

i learned a lot as I'm a beginner in programming , this course encourages me to continue learning game programming , i enjoyed it very much , the smooth way of teaching that Dr.T have simplified every thing , of course there is struggling, but very fun :)

By Pongsasin S

Nov 30, 2020

The learner will get 2 valuable programming language skills both C# and unity without prior knowledge require which is great to recommend this course for beginners.

You will get both the idea and the practical approach to solve basic game development programming problems.

Definitely recommend.

By Dennis A

Nov 17, 2020

I'm pretty sure; you either like Dr. T's quirkiness or you don't.

Every step throughout the course contains all the information you'll need,

to complete the given tasks which are 'just enough' out of reach...

to give you a sense of accomplishment after figuring them out.

By Alejandro M G M

Aug 29, 2018

It was fun and great, I am going to take a short brake from code to finish my creative writing. But immediately after I am coming back to finish this specialization. Thank you so much Dr. T. Thank you so much Coursera for all the opportunities to keep on learning.

By Kartik B

Jun 18, 2020

This is an excellent course to get started with gaming. The only negative thing I can say is that it is a little hard for people who have no background in programming, but, if watched carefully, someone with no programming knowledge can also learn a lot.

By Alejandro P

Apr 8, 2018

It's a well structured course. Starts really slowly at the start, but then it pushes you to learn more and search up on the web to understand better the libraries. The first course for now has been amazing, i'll be sure to continue it.

By muriduru

Apr 3, 2020

I faced a few problems here and there trying to figure out how to make things work while doing the assignments.. but the course is very well structured so I can't blame it for me not knowing some of the very basic things beforehand.

By Kelsey G

Mar 28, 2019

Excellent professor! I really enjoyed the videos and the reference tools given. There were a lot of headaches, screaming at monitors, and rage quitting... but in the end I learned something to help me further myself in a new path.

By Nicole B

Oct 29, 2020

Professor T is awesome, very friendly, professional and patient. His lessons are informative and his textbook was a good addition to the course. Definitely looking forward to the rest of the courses within this specialization.

By Emilio d J L C

Jun 12, 2020

Really good course. I recommend it a 100%. But the most important (apart from knoledge) is that Dr. T is a really good teacher. He gives the special human touch to each and every class. I really recommend to do this course.

By Yevhenii S

Cool Unity Introductory Course! Very charismatic teacher! Comfortable feed. Probably requires at least minimal programming knowledge to complete, but it is possible to do it from complete zero! I recommend this course!

By Ren F

Loved this course. Dr.T is awesome. As soon as he said he was a sim racer I knew I was going to like him :) His approach to teaching is first class, detailed information delivered with a great sense of humour.

By Samar J

Aug 15, 2020

As a total beginner, i felt that the course pace was perfect and Dr. Tim explained everything in a very simple and easy to grasp manner. Would definitely recommend to anyone who wants to learn C # and Unity.

By David G H

Oct 1, 2019

I love Dr T's style and teaching, though in week three was my downfall because I could not omplete the activities anymore and querions or help resources are non-existant so, let's see how otehr classes go.

By Alfredo B

Feb 6, 2021

Exelent entry level course for people that have never programed before.

Dr Tim is very good at keeping the pace going and not making this a dull endeavor, ive had many a good laugh with some of his quizes.

By Ali H

Aug 9, 2018

This course is so amazing, Its Funny its amazing its helpful i even bought the book i cant thank Mr T I mean Dr T enough this course is amazing and its very helpful couldn't recommend it enough

~ Ali hatim