Back to Introduction to Psychology

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to Psychology by Yale University

What are people most afraid of? What do our dreams mean? Are we natural-born racists? What makes us happy? What are the causes and cures of mental illness? This course tries to answer these questions and many others, providing a comprehensive overview of the scientific study of thought and behavior. It explores topics such as perception, communication, learning, memory, decision-making, persuasion, emotions, and social behavior. We will look at how these aspects of the mind develop in children, how they differ across people, how they are wired-up in the brain, and how they break down due to illness and injury....

AR

Jun 26, 2020

This was my second course using this site, and with Professor Bloom, and once again it was great. I've genuinely learnt a lot, and I've found a new love for psychology I never would have found before.

FR

Sep 26, 2019

I absolutely enjoyed taking this course! Professor Bloom did an incredible job explaining the course material and providing additional reading materials to further my knowledge throughout this course.

51 - 75 of 5,066 Reviews for Introduction to Psychology

By Amir P

Jan 7, 2019

The content was interesting but the teaching process was quite boring. nevertheless loved the course.

By Amareesh C

Apr 14, 2020

an brief overview on basics of course

By ANITA K

Jan 13, 2019

The course is very basic.

By petya

Dec 28, 2018

visual are cool, but very superficial

By Anandu G

Apr 16, 2020

poor animation and presentation

By Диана Г

Feb 15, 2020

My deepest gratitude to Professor Bloom for all the intelligence, knowledges, inspirations to learn more and tremendous efforts Professor Bloom put in this incredible course!

There are so many insights and knowledges that are fascinating!

I loved the structure of the course, the wide diversity of themes.

I never got bored even for a second, it was all so captivating, wise, well-informed, creative, bright and interesting.

I enjoyed the animation format so much, how beautiful and professionally this course is made.

One of my favorite part were the assignments, they are for sure one of the most intellegent assignments I have ever seen.

It's not just some randomly picked questions, but something that is well-considered, something that really make you think. It was so exciting to answer them.

If all the courses would be like this one course, honestly, I would never stop studying!)

I am very happy that I took this absolutely astonishing, perfectly-made course!

By James T

Aug 12, 2020

I had previously enrolled in a few other courses of interest and quickly became bored or uninterested in completing those enrolled, until now. Psychology has always interested me and this course reaffirmed my interest. Professor Bloom's presentation kept my interest throughout the course and motivated me to work on it every day to see what's next. The subjects in the field of Psychology presented in this course related so much to what we as humans encounter daily - I would highly recommend this course to any one individual across all professions as we all need a general understanding of ourselves and to understand others in our lives...

By Ryan M T

Dec 13, 2019

I found this course to be highly educational and useful for anyone who is interested in the field of psychology, such as myself. The entirety of the course provided very detailed information and resources for a large variety of topics, all of which were presented in an interesting way. Although Professor Bloom’s voice was a bit bland, the good points heavily outweigh the bad. All in all, I would absolutely recommend this course to anyone interested in the field of psychology, and I believe that it deserved every one of the 5 stars that I rated it.

By vani k

Jul 14, 2021

I feel so blessed that I got to do this course. It has lectures of really knowledgable professor with absolutely relevant material and the quizzes kept me motivated to finish milestones and set for completion. I finished this course before the timeline, despite dealing with office work and managing my kid an family. I am so happy that I have now added the skill and knowledge that I was thinking for long to achieve. I am a finance professional and now have the foundational knowledge to build my career in psychology as well.

By Megan G

Feb 20, 2022

This course desperately needs to be updated. It has incredibly outdated language around gender and sexuality - to the point of being offensive - and shockingly detrimental and outdated content with regards to mental health, trauma, and mental illness. Some examples: - In the video lecture on parenting, Bloom talks about the idea that children are to blame for their bad/abusive parents: "So, for instance, children who are spanked tend to be more violent. Now, one possibility is there are genes that make parents likely to spank and children likely to be violent or genes that proposed people say to low impulse control lean both to the spanking of bad behavior. A second possibility maybe the one that most people believe is that parents spanking their kid makes her kid meaner. But a third possibility is if you have an aggressive and violent kid, you're more likely to spank him or her and that will be a child effect." - The comment, again, in the parenting lecture, "Which is that parenting doesn't matter anywhere near as much as people believe it does." This course doesn't have ANY discussion of attachment theory or trauma. Parenting matters HUGELY in terms of its effects on children with regards to so, so many things. It actually changes their brain structure, in the case of emotional neglect or abuse of any kind. I was shocked that none of this was addressed. It ignores a huge portion of psychological findings in the past few years, blames the victims (your parents are spanking you because you're bad/violent). I was absolutely appalled, as were my psychologist friends with whom I shared this information. - In the first lecture in week 5, entitled "Mental Illness," I was once again SHOCKED to hear this statement, "What you find in these pages is a lot of things, this includes some crazy people muttering on the streets as in schizophrenia." In a lecture on mental illness, a psychologist labels someone with schizophrenia as "crazy"? Unbelievable. First of all, there should be compassionate, people-first language. Secondly, to label someone with mental illness as "crazy" is offensive and inaccurate. I was totally shocked to hear that in this course. - Later on, and I have to find it, Bloom talked about "alcoholics and drug addicts" - again, I was shocked to see a complete refusal to use people-first language. I expected to hear "someone with alcoholism or drug addiction." This course, as I mentioned, desperately needs to be updated. It needs: - something that addresses attachment theory & the impact of trauma - people-first language - a more nuanced, scientifically-updated understanding of gender and sexuality This course is far, far behind the times. It's victim-blaming and heteronormative.

By riddhi v

Feb 23, 2019

I have completed the course yet I didn't receive my certificate for the same. I had applied for the financial aid which was approved still the link for the sharable certificate is not displayed. Please help.

May 26, 2021

I don't understand why a professor could start a lecture on psychology by telling the multiple injuries the brain can suffer? why not start but saying what the brain does and how wonderful it is. Maybe this professor is himself suffering from some of this diseases. He should refocus his lectures to start with a positive view.

Regards

By Jessica t D

Mar 12, 2021

The sound effects are loud and painful to anyone with a hearing disability, autism, et cetera and they completely distract from the professor's voice. The professor seems like a decent teacher and has a calming voice, but the animation just totally ruins the whole course.

By Wisp P

Apr 1, 2021

This course was extremely well-planned, well-thought-through, and well-executed. The materials were split up in amazing, concise ways that further assist students in learning the topics. It covered all the basic materials to give you a firm foundation for the field of psychology. Mr. Bloom was an outstanding professor. He didn't answer questions. He raised more questions. He didn't teach. He guided our learning. He didn't use conventional techniques. He taught in ways to keep students engaged. Filled with humor, stories, and informational value, this course will most certainly change the way you perceive yourself.

By WIJAYASIRI , D

Sep 11, 2020

This course was my first course on Coursera and I really learnt a lot from this. It was a new experience to me because at first I was surprised to see professor Bloom was not in the lecture for real and it didn't take a long time to me to get used to the graphics and I think graphics made the lecture series more interesting. At the beginning I read most of the reviews to get an idea about the course and there were both positive and negative ones. It is okay to read them but never depend on someone's review. Instead trust yourself and study well. Thank you Professor Bloom, Couesrea and COL for this opportunity.

By Elisabetta P

May 15, 2020

This is a first time for me doing an online course and I have alot of health issues and low attention span but with this course I'm proud to say I passed! Thank you for such a rewarding experience, your videos were short enough and engaging with the animations to keep my attention. There were alot of relevant resources that were also very informative that enhanced the reading knowledge. With the way this course was set up it was fairly easy for me to get through and understand and I will be continuing on with other courses. Thanks for the self-esteem boost I so needed!

By HARDIK S

Jul 20, 2021

If you don't know what a psychology is, this is a best course just for introduction but remember in mind, you will not be taught how to use diff therapies to how to help a person deal with depression and all of that which I thought when i joined this course. and its pretty much justified and ok for me coz it was just the introduction to psychology. but through this course, I really gained some insight to psychology and now i know which course to pursue i.e. some full therapy course like CBT, or mindfulness etc.

By Tanim J

Jun 24, 2020

I have been doing online courses on various topics for years, but never came across one that is as interesting as this Intro course. It can be argued that as this is very basic psychology course, the non extensive lectures in various topics are bound to be interesting, which is true, but also apart from that, the professor is great, and the links to outside readings and the layout is also very thoughtful and designed to catch attention perfectly. What a great course!

By Tenzin K

Oct 24, 2019

I joined this course for the purpose of understanding my own feelings. As you age and grow older, you are influenced by so many factors in your life that make you confused with your own thoughts, purposes, and feelings. This course not only helped me understand how the brain affects the mental state of life but also touched on many areas which were a bonus for me. I would like to thank Coursera and Professor Bloom for this great opportunity.

By Angie X A M

Jun 9, 2020

Es un curso muy interesante, tanto para mi que quería saber un poco mas para saber si enfocarme en la carrera de psicología, como para todas las personas para tener un poco mas de información y conocimiento sobre como funcionamos como seres humanos desde la parte psicológica. Realmente el profesor Bloom tiene una gran manera de explicar cada tema de aprendizaje y los hace muy interesantes y sus ejemplos son de mucha ayuda.

By Tom J

Jun 14, 2020

This is my first time to study Psychology and I did so in part to support my change of career from senior executive to a Mentor and Coach. I felt that a base understanding of psychology would be helpful in my new field of study, and that feels true now I have completed the program. The structure content and pace of the program is logical and flexible and it builds on knowledge module by module without overwhelming you.

By Juli M

Jul 7, 2020

Thank you so much for all the detailed information, resources, additional content and links for further studing provided within the course - Introduction to Psychology. I thoroughly enjoyed how it challenged me, and my mind to learn and understand more about Psychology and the foundations in this course.

I am so looking forward to furthering my studies and refining the areas of Psychology.

By Lisa H

Jun 1, 2020

Professor Bloom, I have done many online courses, but this was one of the best, even for a person who wasn't really interested in the topic.

I liked the presentation animations, your summaries, your examples, and seeking students to answer questions at the end of each week.

I appreciate the amount of effort and consideration which went into your videos and topics and contents. A great overview of the field.

By Deborah M

May 1, 2020

I thoroughly enjoyed this course and could not recommend it more. Paul Bloom is an exceptional teacher. His lectures were well paced and engaging. He has a lovely and relatable way of explaining complex information that is easy to understand. The animation was a great touch as well and helped immensely in keeping my attention. A wonderful introduction to the topic. So much fun!

By Raja M R

Jul 7, 2020

This was a very enriching and rewarding course for me. It has piqued my interest to learn more about Psychology in many ways. The course itself was definitely visually entertaining, informative, and never fails to surprise me with facts and stats. I thoroughly enjoyed the lectures and kudos to Prof Bloom's superb personality and his great sense of humor!