Back to Introduction to Bash Shell Scripting

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to Bash Shell Scripting by Coursera Project Network

This course will help those new to shells and shell scripting to build a foundation with the Bash shell. We'll learn several Bash shell commands that will allow you to navigate and use the shell for everyday tasks. We will also write a Bash shell script that will back up a directory and email the compressed file, a culmination of all the commands we’ll cover. We will cover: Not only will you gain the knowledge to customize your system, you will have a solid foundation to expand what you can do with Bash on the command line and in scripts. This beginner-level guided project is perfect for those who have an interest in learning to use a Linux or Unix operating system, whether to gain new skills in IT or software development, or to use an alternative to commercial, proprietary software. Those with no experience in IT, software development, cybersecurity, and more can start here and build on necessary skills for future training and employment. Note: This course works best for learners who are based in the North America region. We’re currently working on providing the same experience in other regions....

RC

Jun 24, 2020

Great overview of bash shell scripting and how to use bash. I just felt too fast paced, however I managed to understand most of the content.

Jun 20, 2020

The course was extraordinary.But the speed of the instructor was higher.Though it was a beginner course,it is meant to be intermediate.

1 - 25 of 32 Reviews for Introduction to Bash Shell Scripting

By Jeremy V K

Jul 03, 2020

Very good for bash scripting beginners. The fact that nothing has to be installed seperately is a huge plus and makes people who are new to linux and wary of the command line feel like this is something that they too can do.

By Rodrigo B d S C

By S.VENKATASUBRAMANIAN

By Isaac M

Jul 05, 2020

Awesome! If you're just getting started with bash scripting, this Guided Project is for you!

By Araz S

Jun 27, 2020

Excellent Course for both Beginners & People with Basic Knowledge of Linux, alike!! :)

By Pawar S S

Jul 11, 2020

its short but its the best intro to shell i could have had

By Gaurav A

Jul 09, 2020

Great introduction to bash script. Just what I needed.

By Arjun S

recommend

By Doss D

By Shaurya P S

Jul 07, 2020

good

By tale p

Jun 28, 2020

good

By p s

Jun 23, 2020

Good

By sourabh k

Jun 19, 2020

good

By Vaibhav J

Jun 14, 2020

Good

By naveen r

Jun 12, 2020

Good

By Korrakot T

Jul 07, 2020

gg

By David A M C

Jun 27, 2020

I know this is an introduction, but it really goes over the surface. Some important things as downloading and installing packages are missing. I tried this in my computer using Ubuntu LTS 20.04 on Windows Subsystem for Linux v2 and couldn't send the email. Didn't quite understand why.

I also have issues with the chmod command (it didn't change any permissions on my files). Some people on StackOverflow talked about this being a problem of the file system NTFS or FAT32. I think this exceptions are important to handle. Especially cause after the course we leave the Rhyme platform where everything works, and may get dissapointed when tryng this things on our local computers,

This may be problems of the WSL, but a think many more students will come here to try it.

But over all, It is a good starting point to the Bash Terminal.

By Ali H

Jun 24, 2020

It is really a good course for all the beginners who just started linux and don't know the basic commnands, but for me it was too basic except the script part. As it was just an hour course so i guess it did fair within that time.

By Shreehari M

Jun 29, 2020

I would say it is a good course to start with for a beginner to get an idea about shell scripting and bash commands.

i wish this course could explain few more useful commands.

By Saurabh C

Jul 11, 2020

Well explained, but the course was too short. Should have dived into loops, conditional statements, etc.