Back to Introduction to the Internet of Things and Embedded Systems

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to the Internet of Things and Embedded Systems by University of California, Irvine

The explosive growth of the “Internet of Things” is changing our world and the rapid drop in price for typical IoT components is allowing people to innovate new designs and products at home. In this first class in the specialization you will learn the importance of IoT in society, the current components of typical IoT devices and trends for the future. IoT design considerations, constraints and interfacing between the physical world and your device will also be covered. You will also learn how to make design trade-offs between hardware and software. We'll also cover key components of networking to ensure that students understand how to connect their device to the Internet. Please note that this course does not include discussion forums. Upon completing this course, you will be able to: 1. Define the term “Internet of Things” 2. State the technological trends which have led to IoT 3. Describe the impact of IoT on society 4. Define what an embedded system is in terms of its interface 5. Enumerate and describe the components of an embedded system 6. Describe the interactions of embedded systems with the physical world 7. Name the core hardware components most commonly used in IoT devices 8. Describe the interaction between software and hardware in an IoT device 9. Describe the role of an operating system to support software in an IoT device 10. Explain the use of networking and basic networking hardware 11. Describe the structure of the Internet 12. Describe the meaning of a “network protocol” 13. Explain MANETs and their relation to IoT...

ME

Sep 18, 2017

good course :)\n\nplease review my assignment to complete my course :(\n\nhttps://www.coursera.org/learn/iot/peer/qYW91/module-1-peer-review-identify-and-analyze-a-device/review/VBUuMpl_EeeuPhL2ByDlUA

PK

Oct 27, 2020

This course is full of benefit. Content of the course is very accurate. Teacher who was teaching was also good. I would suggest to all the beginner to learn this topic who are interested in IoT field.

2476 - 2500 of 2,606 Reviews for Introduction to the Internet of Things and Embedded Systems

By anuranjan k

Mar 10, 2018

A

By Sam B

Oct 22, 2015

I thought the content was great, but I thought the assignments were too onerous. I did the first one, but I didn't feel like I learned from it and peer feedback was very slow. I looked at the other assignments, but I thought they only asked me to put to paper things I was already thinking about anyway. Given the untimely and low quality of peer feedback on the first assignment, I didn't feel like I'd learn anything from completing and submitting any assignments. I refuse to buy a webcam for Coursera (I have a phone with that capability but the Coursera app doesn't support it for identity verification), so I can't get a certification anyway. I thought the content was interesting, but too basic to pay for. The major value I see in the certification path is extensive feedback on the capstone project, as I thought peer feedback came too late and wasn't extensive enough to be valuable. I do think the instructor does a good job of presenting the content

By Soo X W

Aug 14, 2020

The course introduces the basics of Internet connections, communication protocols and IoT boards. Quite comprehensive. Felt a little boring with all the technical stuff. Some videos are outdated.

I learned some things but the peer assessment aspect of this course is trash, I see so many plagiarised answers, incomplete answers, many of the answers have little to no effort put into it. I gave some people low marks and I received extremely unfair grading, I got 0 for a marking rubric like this "Did they provide a URL?" despite including URLs

The assessment questions should be overhauled. I did not learn much from the assignments and it was a chore to complete and pass them.

By Alok M

May 07, 2016

This course is OK for introduction if you're not already familiar with the IoT devices and embedded systems. But if you already have done some projects in IoT and Embedded systems and are familiar with what they are then you don't need this course. This course is designed for a complete beginner who doesn't have any idea what IoT and embedded systems are (and now that you're researching about a course on IoT you probably have an idea what they are) and as a guy who had already done some projects in this area in undergrad, I found the content to be very simple and lacking any new things to add to my knowledge. But if you are a complete beginner then go for it.

By Matthew S

Aug 16, 2016

The content of the course is reasonable and gives an introduction to the uninitiated. The peer review sysetm however relies on the experience and knowledge of others which is a flaw in how some of the coursera modules are evaluated.

If you are looking to expand your technical knowledge, opt for a course the has an automated test system (such as the courses on Data Structures and Algorithms).

If you are just considering studying engineering, this course and specialization will be a decent and simplistic introduction into the field.

By Pratik P

Jun 12, 2016

Reviewing process is quite slow, thus you have to wait until someone review your assignment and grade it, even if you complete this course in just 1 week but you can't pursue certificate in just 1 week because review of assignment 3-4 days minimum for each one.

Coursera should improve that problem, but overall teaching quality was great.

By Niki L

Jan 21, 2016

A good course for somebody who knows absolutely nothing about the presented subjects ( like networking, what is embedded software etc. ). Everything is explained in a way your grandmother could understand it.

If you are somewhat familiar with them and are looking on information on what IoT exactly is, this course isn't really for you.

By Gauri

Jul 02, 2020

https://www.coursera.org/learn/iot/peer/qYW91/module-1-peer-review-identify-and-analyze-a-device/review/3PYHR7MJEeqOIw54cDeJWQ PLEASE SOMEONE REVIEW MY ASSIGNMENT FOR WEEK 1 SO THAT I CAN COMPLETE MY COURSE. I HAD SUBMITTED MY ASSIGNMENT 2 DAYS BEFORE THE DEADLINE AND STILL IT HAS NOT BEEN GRADED AFTER 2 WEEKS. PLEASE HELP PEERS !!!

By Christian B A

Feb 21, 2016

Don't get me wrong, this is a good course, the teacher obviously knows his stuff and delivers the information in a good way. It gives you what you need to know. But I expected more. A wider grasp on things, additional readings, quiz’s, related articles, links and so on. Maybe not mandatory but in addition to what already is there.

By Andreas G

Apr 10, 2020

Nice and easy introduction to IoT.

It is very basic though and depending on your level of existing knowledge this may be somewhat disappointing.

Good delivery by Prof Harris and it really is to recommended if you are a true beginner.

For anyone looking for in depth technical details, go elsewhere.

By WILSON P J

Dec 06, 2016

The professor lecturers were great! I enjoyed watching the his videos. However, theres's still room for some improvement. For example, I would add /more/ technical info at the video slides and also a /lot/ of literature related to IoT and embedded systems.

By Don S

Oct 19, 2016

I felt it was too basic. It took me about a week, but if I'd had the time I could have done it all in a day. Hope the rest of the specialization is more in-depth.. Also there are no forums.. makes it impossible to interact when you have questions.

By Paul G

Nov 11, 2019

The teacher really doesn't understand how to lecture to beginners. Often he will say really simple things, then add an advanced concept, that you are expected to know. It is quite obvious that he doesn't rehearse or write down his lecture.

By Amit J

Jan 28, 2016

Pros:-

Gives a brief overview of IoT ecosystem. Dr. Harris teaches complex things in an easy manner.

Cons:-

Assignments are not available for audit students. Request coursera to open assignments for audit students as well.

By Ro

Jan 10, 2020

It's a decent introductory class, but way too much information is repeated and the wireshark peer reviewed assignment doesn't even work properly and the tutorial is out of date.

By Oscar E C S

Sep 01, 2020

The videos were very large, the professor did not focus on what was really important, instead he talked about a lot of examples ans lost the main point in many lectures.