Back to IT Security: Defense against the digital dark arts

DS
Apr 25, 2018

DG
Dec 4, 2020

An absolutely engaging and challenging feat that I am so proud to have completed. I hope this opens new door and better job opportunities so that I can better enhance my future. Thank you Google :)

2026 - 2050 of 2,331 Reviews for IT Security: Defense against the digital dark arts

By Jonathan M

Oct 28, 2018

Other than Networking section, this was one of the toughest courses, but very informational. The final peer review test was not straightforward enough on what to produce as a "report" result. It did not provide enough of what was expected (details). They should have hinted that details (password length, times, characters, 802.11x, SIDS, SIPS, etc.) was too specific on what was asked in the peer review and nothing about the concepts of security (layers or security, AD, Radius or other).

By Eduardo M

Jun 20, 2018

i wish there was a way to get all the dialogue printed as a pdf file. it takes a lot of time and effort to find the material you need by clicking over one hudred links to see the transcript. im one of those people that likes a textbook for class. overall i think the most difficult course to understand the critical points of security. glad its over on to the next ! probably take the comptia A+ test after reviewing for free online or if coursera has a cheap class on it .

By Teresa M

Mar 29, 2021

Would have been more interesting if there were a variety of instructors. This course was more like a roving dictionary of terms. The videos did not prepare us very well for the qwiklabs. It was mostly acronym based without a good demonstration of the skills needed to pass the qwiklabs. I did appreciate the challenge of the final graded assessments. That is actually what I learned from the most as I researched a variety of websites in order to write the project.

By Ian M

Aug 4, 2020

Instructor was very clear and did a great job overall. Sometimes it was obvious that someone wrote this out. Teleprompter or not, it read like a George Lucas script in places. Just technical jargon flying at us. Not the teacher's fault. Could use a little more writing or a few more images on screen to help make sense as the jargon is being thrown at us. Overall, though, intelligently designed and professionally done. Again, the instructor was great! Thanks.

By Mikey B

Aug 15, 2020

It was not bad, definitely better than the last course. My only issue was sometimes the topics were very broad and then would get very detailed. This made the quizes difficult because the questions had range of difficulty. Sometimes the quiz questions would ask something that was only mentioned in one sentence of the lecture which made it difficult even to review. Would like to have used more tools in the class than just learning about computer security.

By Rodrigo G L

Dec 16, 2020

It's a huge amount of information fired like a machine gun. In general it is a good course, but I do not see the point of so many minutes of video dedicated to defining one term after another that could well be delivered in written format, the real benefit of audiovisual language is not taken.

Of the total of the course could be a complete specialization. Something like "Google Cyber Security Professional Certificate" would be appreciated in the future.

By Richard ( M

Nov 4, 2020

Thanks Google with the GISC Canada project and this opportunity to go through this course. Our course administrator/Google IT Support Certificate Learning Facilitor is great. As a "young whipper snapper" with a teaching career he has had the energy to put 50 individuals through were help was needed. As well as pivoting to accommodate the year from hell and facilitating methods with COVID this has gone amazingly well. Regards,

Richard (Rick) Medlock

By Gerardo A

Sep 2, 2020

This course gives you the total picture of what IT Security as a whole and that it shows the every changing nature of why security in IT infrastructure is important even if you have the latest and most expensive technology does not guarantee that your important data and information are safe. I find it very interesting and it really makes you realize how fragile and vulnerable your system if you are not careful and aware of the threats that abound.

By Joseph G

Jul 7, 2019

A thorough foundational course in information security, to be sure. But I did find it a bit difficult to absorb the more intricate material given that it was distributed rapidly through longer (than usual) videos. I personally think that this course, its concepts would be better digested via shorter videos and more in the way of diagrams and other visual aids. I found myself stopping many of the videos and rewinding them just to take notes.

By Christopher M

Sep 2, 2019

This course is really superb for introducing cybersecurity best practices, though it offers so many different analytical tools that relatively few are looked at in depth and it would benefit from more labs. That said, this course made me more conscious about how I treat security and helped me think analytically about risks that are taken on a given network, which made it very useful. I'm excited to apply this knowledge in a new role!

By Thu B

Dec 8, 2019

A bit shock at first. So many concepts to absorb at a very short time. My compliment to the team to condense all these complicated concepts into a concise and easily digested content. This course content gave me the essential frame to expand my knowledge in this area. I read some of the documents on the net and really admired the good job the team had done to convey such huge and complex field to us.

By Mohamed F A

Apr 21, 2021

This is an excellent course that I will recommend to any one who want to work as an IT Support Professionnal and thank you to all contributors indeed. However this course will be more effective with more hands on labs or indicating how to setup a fictive IT Infrastructure for a given organisation using simulator tool such as GNS3 for example.... Good continuation Google in helping people!

By Landon M

Nov 13, 2020

The one negative of this course is that it is a lot of information just being thrown at you. There are very few ways to actually put the information you learn into practice through labs or other means. This being said, the overall course is great, it teaches you a lot and reinforces information that you may have already had and I would recommend it for anyone that is interested in IT.

By SecureGive

Jul 1, 2020

It's a great course! I learned a ton, and the presenter did a great job! The only reason I didn't give the course 5 stars is because a lot of topics aren't covered in enough detail to help you really understand them. A lot of topics are given such a high level overview that I had to research the topics on other websites to really understand them. Otherwise, it's a great course!

By Don G M

Apr 9, 2019

Very informative with a broad range of topics, and nicely explained with smart multiple choice quizzes. However, rather than showing the instructor speaking most of the time, it would be MUCH more helpful if they put up static diagrams or key points on the screen. Some of the content is complex, so diagrams on the screen while he's speaking will help greatly.

By Brooke F

Sep 11, 2018

This was a pretty interesting course. I really wish there was some more hands on. It was very much theory and concepts with no demonstration on how to implement most of it. Yes there was links to some third party, or open source, programs that could help with secure, but no real world how to implement or do anything. I did learn a lot though.

By Martin D

May 5, 2019

Pro: Lots of good information. Has definitely motivated me to learn more about this important subject. I really liked having the transcript available.

Con: Hands on labs are good, but they seemed a bit superficial. Would have been nice to have multiple presenters, perhaps teach various concepts through interviews with expert practitioners.

By Dean L

Aug 8, 2021

A very broad introduction to network security. Would have liked more visual aids when talking about the complex way that different servers work. Missed doing the labs like the previous course: IT Systems Administration. Was a great way for me to level up my knowledge. I had to really study to take it all in

By Justin T

Jul 13, 2018

This course didn't teach about how viruses are made or anything like that. I does teach about which and how many systems are needed to properly protect other systems from malicious attacks. As such, it teaches a lot of terms and names of systems. It was a struggle to get through but commit and it will happen!

By Jeffery A R

Oct 27, 2018

The final peer-reviewed project is a boondoggle. It throws you in blind. The grading rubric adds in concepts not mentioned in the prompt. I felt bad for marking my peers down in points for this reason. The sample is locked until after the assignment is completed, which makes it almost completely useless.

By Frank L

Jul 17, 2019

I enjoyed this course and thought it was very thorough. My only suggestion would be to improve some of the aspects of being able to move on or view locked items. For instance, I couldn't view a final project sample until I already submitted my final project. So I didn't have as much reference.

By David M

Aug 30, 2019

This covered a lot of dense concepts in a very approachable way, and I feel like I learned a lot! It could be improved by having more hands-on learning through labs, and I felt the final project could have been more challenging (I put a lot of thought into it, but you automatically get %100)

By Rizalito C

May 4, 2020

The course was very informative and well designed for beginners and the like. I would definitely recommend this course to friends and family. and the Instructor was definitely knowledgeable about the subject matter. Thanks for making this course available for individuals like myself.

By Zohra G

Nov 27, 2020

This course my dream which 6-8 years I had it unfortunately I have not had access to it. Even though I changed my career but after my dream came true I could not wait I kept continuing to learn that streaming granted an opportunity. Thank you Google and Coursera!!!

By Benjamin F P

Jan 19, 2021

Lots of great information, and it truly did help to increase my knowledge in the fields of IT and System Networking. It remains to be seen whether or not this will help to advance my job opportunities and career. It was an extremely rewarding learning opportunity.