Back to English for Journalism

Learner Reviews & Feedback for English for Journalism by University of Pennsylvania

Welcome to English for Journalism, a course created by the University of Pennsylvania, and funded by the U.S. Department of State Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs, Office of English Language Programs. To enroll in this course for free, click on “Enroll now” and then select "Full Course. No certificate." This course is designed for non-native English speakers who are interested in developing the skills needed for a career in modern journalism. In this course, you will explore print and digital media through authentic readings and video lectures, while expanding your vocabulary and increasing your ability to read, research, and develop local and global news stories. Unit 1 will provide an introduction to the history and principles of journalism. In unit 2, you will learn how to research, pitch, and interview. The next unit in the course will focus on the language needed to write newspaper and magazine articles, while unit 4 will cover the basics of broadcasting the news. In the final unit of the course, you will analyze the growth, impact, and challenges of digital news, while completing a reflection assignment that allows you to think about and discuss the recent changes to the field of journalism. Unless otherwise noted, all course materials are available for re-use, repurposing and free distribution under a Creative Commons 4.0 Attribution license. Supplemental reading materials were provided by Newsela, which publishes daily news articles at a level that's just right for each English language learner....

CS

Jul 13, 2020

I'm grateful for this course because I've gained different essential skills especially about journalism. Thank you Coursera and University of Pennsylvania for this great and unforgettable opportunity.

MA

Feb 19, 2020

I have found this course quite informative about the knowhow of journalism. Now I've come to know the principles of journalism and what are the skills needed for writing or broadcasting news stories.

226 - 250 of 600 Reviews for English for Journalism

By Gayatri H

Feb 05, 2017

This is definitely a mandatory beginner course if anyone is interested in pursuing journalism in the future.

By Sherine B

Sep 14, 2016

this course is very helpful and i liked the idea of applying through the assignements after the the videos.

By André F

Jun 01, 2020

I really liked this course and recommend it to the ones who want to learn about north-american journalism.

By lani m l

Sep 24, 2018

The course had been very helpful and interesting which will challenge you and enhance your English skills.

By WEN J

Sep 25, 2016

The content of the course has been well-organized and could be easily understood by a non-English speaker.

By Tserenjav

May 01, 2020

Dear teachers John Cotton, Eve Litt

It was amazing course. Best wishes

Tserenjav

From Mongolia

By Battulga M

Apr 22, 2019

Great glass overall! Highly recommended especially for pre-intermediate and intermediate level students.

By Md T I

Apr 25, 2017

Very useful for those who want to develop journalistic language and understand journalism as a beginner.

By ARLEEN A A

Jul 02, 2020

English Journalism is such amazing course it helps me a lot especially I handle our school publication.

By AMINE T

Nov 07, 2019

It's a really useful course, it includes very practical materials from which I benefit a lot. thank you

By André Q

Mar 20, 2017

This course offered an accurate and broad knowledge in such a short period, overcoming my expectations.

By Luciano C

Jun 10, 2020

Amazing course. I learned new things and reviewed others. A way of to think the future of journalism.

By Tianyi Y

Apr 30, 2020

The class was beneficial for both improving my understanding of journalism as well as language usage.

By Sakib M

Sep 30, 2016

This was an amazing experience. The way of teaching is scientifically beautiful. Loved it thoroughly!

By Karina B

Sep 14, 2016

An excellent program for citizen journalists and profesional reporters to refresh concepts and tools!

By Mauricio M T

Aug 31, 2016

Such a great tool for journalist who are not native speakers to learn all the necessary english terms

By Zsolt P

Jul 25, 2017

Very useful at least from 2 aspects: journalism as a profession and from practicing English language

By jacob

Jun 03, 2020

it was good and simple language to understand .videos were very short which maintained my interest.

By Mervin A E

May 14, 2020

I really learned a lot. This course is really helpful especially to a teacher like me. Thank you!

By Carla M G P

Aug 23, 2017

¡Excellent! I love this course. It helps you understand basic terms and new ideas of journalism.

By Dinh Q T

Aug 15, 2017

Very good for me.

I understood how to make an article. Structure of article, it is very usefull.

By César A M

Apr 29, 2020

An amazing and constructive experience from which I'm proud of being part of. Thanks so much!

By Wulan S

Oct 19, 2017

I like how it is so precise and the lesson that are studied here can be applied on daily basis

By Erick C d C

Oct 07, 2017

An excellent way to improve your english skills while learning a lot of journalism vocabulary.

By Shachar Y

Jun 30, 2020

I think the course is interesting and a great opportunity to improve the English language.