Back to Journey of the Universe: The Unfolding of Life

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Journey of the Universe: The Unfolding of Life by Yale University

Journey of the Universe weaves together the discoveries of the evolutionary sciences together with humanities such as history, philosophy, art, and religion. The course draws on the Emmy-award winning film, Journey of the Universe, and the book from Yale University Press. Journey explores cosmic evolution as a creative process based on connection, interdependence, and emergence. It examines a range of dynamic interactions in the unfolding of galaxies, Earth, life, and human communities. It investigates ways in which we understand evolutionary processes and the implications for humans and our ecological future. The Journey course, thus, is based on a new integration that is emerging from the dialogue of the sciences and humanities. Journey tells the story of evolution as an epic narrative, rather than as a series of facts separated by scientific disciplines. This changes our perception so that we begin to see ourselves as an integral part of this narrative. By situating ourselves within this story we can better appreciate the complexity and beauty of processes such as self-organizing dynamics, natural selection, emergence, symbiosis, and co-evolution. As we discover these intricate processes of evolution, we awaken to the beauty and complexity of our natural environment at this critical juncture in our planetary history....

DH

Oct 21, 2018

I love everything about this. Plan to go back sometime later and explore more of the websites and links that are referenced. I especially enjoy material from the American Museum of Natural History.

CS

Jan 15, 2017

This course is a must. There is just no other course that can nurture your spiritual yearnings within the framework of science. Take it. It's a wonderful course.

1 - 25 of 60 Reviews for Journey of the Universe: The Unfolding of Life

By racheal h

Sep 12, 2019

Everyone one should watch this movie and read the book. The course has given me a good perspective and great insight on the world around me. I like the idea that the stars are my ancestors and that I belong here on this Earth. This course has helped me in my daily life as I look around I know we are all one with this universe. It has opened my soul, my heart to others here as well and to the real nature of a power greater than self.

By Walter M

Nov 28, 2017

Highly recommended. It is evident that the instructors have invested considerable energy and passion into the creation and proliferation of this course. Tip: pay attention, not so much to the factual information conveyed (this is not to say the the quality of the research is not way above par), but to how it is being conveyed. And always ask, "why are the instructors choosing to share it?"

By Emily C

Nov 02, 2018

The title of the course was what initially attracted me. "Journey of the Universe: The Unfolding of Life" was such a spectacular course. It's a dimensional way to familiarize oneself with topics that are rarely offered in more rudimental educational environments. As a high school student, it was both an academically and existentially enriching course! Thanks for offering this, Coursera.

By Linda K

Oct 24, 2016

Journey of the Universe: The Unfolding of Life offered a wonderful sense of connection with our universe, Earth and all her life forms as well as a beautiful understanding of deep time. It told it's story from a science and a humanities perspective. Absolutely offered aw and wonder. A great learning experience. Thank you to everyone involved!

By Ujjawal S

Jan 31, 2019

I loved the course and the entire film. The authors of the book offer us a lot of insights which is beautifully presented to us by the means of the film. The narrator, Brian Swimme sounds really passionate while he is describing the many views and perspectives offered by the book.

Great Content, Great Course, kudos to the entire team.

By Andy D

Feb 14, 2018

The passion of the instructors is evident from the moment the course begins. It has helped reshape the negative light in which I previously viewed religious traditions. Journey of the Universe instilled an awe of the universe around me and further spurred my desire for understanding of the world around me.

By SANDRA A C V

Sep 06, 2019

This course guided me trough questions and knowledge that I was looking for so deeply. The material, the way of teaching, the theachers, everything as a sinfony, flowing trough my soul and finding place in my believes. I´m so gratefull to this opportunity of learning. My life was expecting for it.

By Roslyn V P

Sep 02, 2019

I now have a dynamic way of envisioning our universe and beyond. This course is entertaining, compelling, and educational. I've gained unexpected personal discoveries which include finding connective concepts in the evolution of the world, humanity, language and the development of AI.

By Harry J

Jun 28, 2018

Standing from a big picture to see the Universe whole picture. It's a totally different new experiece to me to have a overview on the Journey of the universe. Wonder guides us to continuously move forward! And it's really wonderful of the learni

By Haley B

Oct 05, 2016

I like how this coarse has some videos and some readings. I also like this coarse because it is not all videos and it is not all text.

:) :) :) :) :)

By Juliet B

Apr 18, 2017

A great course for everyone. Provides inspiring insights into the workings of the universe, evoking a big picture understanding of how we fit into a beautiful story of our universe, a story that each of our lives play an important part.

By Jafed E

Jul 06, 2019

By Danny N

Sep 24, 2016

Great! A bit overwhelming at times with all the images and video footage of AWE and absolute infusion of the life of the Globe and the Universe, so I recommend watching it casually and perhaps slowly, but up to you!

By Thomas H

Oct 02, 2017

Extraordinary. Astronomy has always been a friend. Now it has become a mentor. Suddenly my priorities have become clear. My life needs no further focus. God, sobriety and “Journey of the Universe.” Powerful!

By S I

Jan 26, 2017

Yup...thought provoking film and lectures. Expanding universe, coexisting creatures, earth as a whole is living and we are part of this living creature with greater responsibility are somethings i've learnt.

By Dot H

Oct 21, 2018

By 雷沁颖

Oct 29, 2016

I love this course and I appreciate all the gifts our universe, our earth give me. I will cherish the earth and keep doing my best to protect what I have, what we have.

By Colleen S

Jan 15, 2017

By Valarie B

Nov 08, 2017

I have so enjoyed taking this course and am enthralled with all of the new perspectives that were presented. I look forward to continuing with the certificate.

By Shamim D

Feb 27, 2017

A truly insightful and enlightening course that will provide a clear understanding of the creation of the universe and of life in a scientific sense.

By Annabella R

Apr 01, 2018

This course and the conversations provide the latest thinking on the contiuously evolvng univese. The speakers are excellent , the topics amazing!

By Aza O

May 23, 2017

Big History meets the World Wisdom Traditions with a sense of 'how can we navigate our collective future here on Earth in the Anthropocene'??

By Vitaly W

Jul 31, 2017

Amazing course that touches to the very core of human existence and the concept existence as a whole as applied to the universe

By Fernando B

Nov 24, 2017

It´s quite a Journey of insight, wonder and magnificent discoveries of Human kind. I experience an awakening of my curiosity.

By Chenlin W

Dec 29, 2017

This course gave me a brand new insight, I very like it!

Though somehow some long video someimes can't play properly.