Back to The Kennedy Half Century

Learner Reviews & Feedback for The Kennedy Half Century by University of Virginia

When John F. Kennedy entered the presidential limousine at Love Field in Dallas, Texas on November 22, 1963, he began his ride into history. That journey continues even today and we call it the Kennedy legacy. This course will explore the Presidency, assassination, and lasting legacy of President John F. Kennedy. Students will learn how JFK’s life, administration, and tragic death have influenced the general public, the media, and each of the nine U.S. presidents who followed. Understanding the Kennedy legacy and being able to identify elements of his legacy within the context of modern politics helps understand many of the vexing problems that developed over the last half century as well as many of the challenges that confront us today. November 22, 1963 was so powerful a moment that in the fifty years since the assassination, every U.S. President that followed JFK has used Kennedy’s words and actions in an effort to craft their own political image. Why does Kennedy’s influence persist, and will it continue? What are the effects? We’ll address these questions and more as we explore The Kennedy Half Century. Follow on Twitter: @JFKclass....

JN
Jul 4, 2017

Larry Sabato is a true genius in political thought. Great realizing that he is fascinated by John Kennedy as I am. There was technical difficulty in Coursera realizing that I had finished the course.

KS
Oct 21, 2015

I really loved this class! Professor Sabato taught this class so eloquently and so well. I have studied the JFK Presidency and Assassination for years, and I loved learning more from this course.

126 - 127 of 127 Reviews for The Kennedy Half Century

By Marin V

Nov 15, 2020

I enjoyed it at first but then there was too much about professor`s book in which I had actually been interested at first. Sometimes almost nothing was said about the subject - not enough time here, read the book. Instead of this course I recommend a book about two Kennedy brothers by David Talbot.

By Paul J L

Aug 30, 2015

Between the book plugs,and the seemingly partisan descriptions of later Presidents,the course goes from a factual overview,to a meandering book pitch