Back to Søren Kierkegaard - Subjectivity, Irony and the Crisis of Modernity

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Søren Kierkegaard - Subjectivity, Irony and the Crisis of Modernity by University of Copenhagen

It is often claimed that relativism, subjectivism and nihilism are typically modern philosophical problems that emerge with the breakdown of traditional values, customs and ways of life. The result is the absence of meaning, the lapse of religious faith, and feeling of alienation that is so widespread in modernity. The Danish thinker Søren Kierkegaard (1813-55) gave one of the most penetrating analyses of this complex phenomenon of modernity. But somewhat surprisingly he seeks insight into it not in any modern thinker but rather in an ancient one, the Greek philosopher Socrates. In this course created by former associate professor at the Søren Kierkegaard Research Centre, Jon Stewart, we will explore how Kierkegaard deals with the problems associated with relativism, the lack of meaning and the undermining of religious faith that are typical of modern life. His penetrating analyses are still highly relevant today and have been seen as insightful for the leading figures of Existentialism, Post-Structuralism and Post-Modernism....

AB
Jul 2, 2018

An excellent course on Kierkegaard's use of irony. The teacher is great and the lectures are very interesting. I loved the interviews and the views of Copenhagen. Thanks a lot. Greetings from Madrid!

GH
Aug 29, 2016

Really worthwhile and informative, in-depth review of Kierkegaard as a person, his life, and his works. Can be taken even if you've never touched philosophy before. Great production and selections.

76 - 100 of 200 Reviews for Søren Kierkegaard - Subjectivity, Irony and the Crisis of Modernity

By Pablo

Aug 8, 2016

Excellent course, could be a bit harder on quizzing, it was too easy to pass them, but, it compensates with the final essay. It has great content

By Hadea K

Feb 23, 2021

so appreciate Dr. Jon Stewart spending time with all of us given his vast knowledge; the lectures were superbly organized. a brilliant course.

By Steve C

Aug 3, 2021

Excellent discussion revealing much of Socrates' work along with a thorough introduction to the thinking of the importance of Kierkegaard.

By Daniel B

Feb 12, 2019

Great introduction course about Kierkegaard! I highly recommend this course for all friends of Kierkegaard. Congratulations Jan Stewart!

By Paweł J Z

Mar 13, 2016

Great overview, I wish there were more courses of this kind about other great philosophers. Kierkegaard is one of my favourites though.

By Pablo M B

Sep 5, 2018

A wonderful and insightful course. All the power and depth of thought of classical education at my convenience. It is truly marvelous.

By Agata S

Jun 15, 2020

Very well designed course. Interesting lectures. I liked the choice of additional lectures as well. I would definitely recommend it.

By Liz C C S

Feb 20, 2021

Excelente curso, excelente profesor, pero hay que tener paciencia para esperar una buena calificación de los companeros del curso.

By Matheus M P F

Jun 9, 2020

O curso muito bom e que propõe ao aluno produzir um senso crítico sobre o debate sobre modernidade que vai além da média. Ótimo!

By Dave

Apr 17, 2018

Brilliant course guided by a professor who knows his stuff. Kierkegaard is a very interesting man. I highly recommend this MOOC.

By Tim H

Dec 1, 2017

Excellent course. Really enjoyed the content. Wasn't able to finish before the end of the semester but will definitely continue.

By Akumjung P

Sep 1, 2021

Professor Stewart was wonderful and the course is planned our extremely well! I had an amazing time learning from him so much!

By Graham C

Jul 21, 2020

An excellent course. Clear and well-presented by a scholar who is obviously deeply involved in his subject.

Graham Creelman

By LUIS A Z

Aug 3, 2021

I​S A GREAT COURSE, HAS MANY DETAILS OF KIERKEGAARD´S LIFE.

I​ LEARNED A LOT.

I​ LEARN HISTORY OF PHILOSOPHY AND THEOLOGY.

By Bruno M S

Jan 26, 2017

The lecturer uses different scenarios, interviews many other professors and makes the subject practical. I recommend it.

By Felipe P P d S

Jul 26, 2016

An excelent course. Professor Stewart is a true master. The course is very well-organized and the activities are great.

By Rommel P

Feb 23, 2016

Highly recommended. It's a self-paced course but you'll get more out of it by enabling deadlines to keep you on track.

By Carlos M R R

Aug 2, 2016

Really interesting, and despite being thought 200 years ago, the problems covered keep being relevant in our century.

By Sean R

Jun 18, 2021

Great presenter and enjoyable, well-organised course. Content easy to follow. Realistic and challenging assessments.

By Pablo I S M

Aug 16, 2017

This is one of the best courses I have ever had. It's well explained, it has interesting material and a great topic.

By John B

Aug 30, 2018

An amazing course that really gave me greater perspective on Kierkegaard and what inspired him throughout his life.

By Giorgos

Jan 17, 2021

Very well structured course with a plurality of means to communicate knowledge!

Good lectures from the Professor

By Rafael M

Mar 17, 2016

Nice course. We are diving into Kierkegaard´s mind. Thanks University of Copenhagen and thanks Prof Stewart.

By V K A

Jun 4, 2019

Learning Kierkegaard helps me reflecting myself critically, not academically but existentially/practically.

By MaryAnn B

Apr 19, 2016

Excellent. If this course is given again I will take it for credit. So sorry I didn't do it the first time.