Back to Know Thyself - The Value and Limits of Self-Knowledge: The Examined Life

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Know Thyself - The Value and Limits of Self-Knowledge: The Examined Life by The University of Edinburgh

According to legend, inscribed on walls of the temple on the sacred site of Delphi in Ancient Greece were two premier injunctions: NOTHING IN EXCESS, and KNOW THYSELF. This course will be an examination of the latter injunction in an effort to discover what self-knowledge is, why it might be valuable, and what, if any, limitations it might face. What is missing from a person lacking in self-knowledge that makes her less wise, virtuous, or competent in certain areas than others who have this capacity, and what if anything might she do to fill that gap? Historical sources as well as recent research in philosophy, experimental social psychology, and neuroscience will inform our investigation, in the course of which we will become students of our own dreams, and cultivate some meditative practices. Learning Outcomes: Learners will gain familiarity with prominent themes from Western, classical Chinese, and Buddhist approaches to our knowledge of ourselves. In the course of doing so, they will gain an appreciation of the relation of self-knowledge to wisdom, of the value of intellectual humility, as well as of methods of learning about oneself that do not depend on introspection. Learners will also become familiar with contemporary research in experimental social psychology, philosophy, and neuroscience into the emotions, the unconscious, the role of affect in decision making, and self-deception. They will also gain an appreciation of a challenge to the assumption of a coherent, unified self that derives from the Buddhist tradition. --- This course was created by a partnership between The University of Edinburgh and Humility & Conviction and Public Life Project, an engaged research project based at the University of Connecticut and funded by a generous grant from the John Templeton Foundation....

ST

Jun 21, 2020

Really in depth and easy to follow information on a great array of topics, philosophers and philosophies. I would highly recommend it to anyone with an interest of learning new knowledge .

DB

Jun 24, 2020

This is a well put together course. It is beneficial to borrow or purchase the course textbook. I enjoyed the course instructor and his use of meditation breaks every so often was great.

26 - 50 of 89 Reviews for Know Thyself - The Value and Limits of Self-Knowledge: The Examined Life

By Luis C O

Sep 06, 2018

Wonderful course. Congratulations prof Mitch. Keep up the good work. Very interesting the meditations. It was a wonderful initiative.

By dan h

Feb 10, 2019

Good content just a technical issue some of the modules repeat themselves even though they have different names.

By Kathleen R

Jan 15, 2019

Fascinating subject. Course was well-designed, good lectures and interesting readings. Highly recommend.

By 马秀欢

Jul 25, 2019

It's really useful and helpful,especially the extra materials applied in it. Thank you for everything.

By Joseph G

Sep 08, 2018

Very well-done online course packed with knowledge. This was my favorite Coursera course thus far!

By Christopher L

Aug 26, 2018

Great introduction to basic, Philosophical concepts and thinkers largely by way of Descartes.

By Eldrick J F O

Oct 12, 2018

Phenomenal! It allowed me to peer closer to views which I now considered to be misconstrued.

By Hazel I

Jun 19, 2020

Loved this course. Well structured, knowledgeable professors. Inspiring content. Thank you.

By Erica D

Jul 09, 2020

This course was really Interesting and gave a lot great perspective. Definitely recommend!

By Ajaya G

Jun 04, 2020

The video presentations are excellent. Concepts are very well explained. Learnted a lot.

By Amy S

Apr 26, 2020

An absolutely wonderful course, easy to follow with thoughtful prompts and assignments.

By Nadia E A

Aug 03, 2020

For me, it was an essential course to widen my knowledge in myself and in philosophy.

By ROSA L C S

Mar 30, 2020

I understand more about myself, and how deep we can go to understand ourselves.

By Rick S

Jul 21, 2019

A course that has impacted the way I live and think. Would recommend to anyone.

By Ranjana S

Nov 09, 2019

The course is well paced and covers very interesting and insightful topics

By Shyenne B

Apr 17, 2020

Very educational and I love how engaged you can be with the course!

By Emma T

Apr 25, 2020

I really enjoyed this course - I found it very thought-provoking.

By Ritesh K

Mar 12, 2019

Wonderful course..! though yet to know more to know Thyself..!!!!

By Ni W C

this lesson teach me a lot especially reflection about myself.

By Beth M

Jun 25, 2020

able to process information and reflect on life experiences

By Kevin

Jul 29, 2020

Excellent course; thought-provoking. Also entertaining.

By Karen P

Jun 03, 2019

Very interesting course. Engaging and well structured.

By KING Y T

May 08, 2020

Amazing course, cannot wait to start the second part!

By Md A H B

May 09, 2020

A vey good course to know about oneself, one’s mind.

By Mardohar B B S

Jul 24, 2020

It is as wonderful as ever to take this course.