Back to Know Thyself - The Value and Limits of Self-Knowledge: The Unconscious

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Know Thyself - The Value and Limits of Self-Knowledge: The Unconscious by The University of Edinburgh

A challenging but fascinating topic on the way to achieving self-knowledge is the unconscious. For well over a century, psychologists, philosophers, and many others have posited a level of mentality that is not immediately open to introspection; some would even say that certain unconscious elements cannot be known through introspection. This course will examine some of the most influential ideas about the unconscious starting with the work of Sigmund Freud, and follow the development of theories of the unconscious all the way to present research in experimental psychology. But be warned: some of the things you may learn about your unconscious mind may be surprising, and possibly even disturbing! --- This course was created by a partnership between The University of Edinburgh and Humility & Conviction and Public Life Project, an engaged research project based at the University of Connecticut and funded by a generous grant from the John Templeton Foundation....

DB
Oct 5, 2020

Wonderfully tied together, and certainly a lot more reading material provided - which I suspect will further enhance my understanding of the topic. Definitely a class that could help anyone.

IM
May 18, 2019

Amazing experience of blended learning. I think this course is a must do for anyone with a penchant for Neuroscience, Behavioral medicine and Phiolosophy. What are we; but rational beings.

76 - 98 of 98 Reviews for Know Thyself - The Value and Limits of Self-Knowledge: The Unconscious

By Bitten A

Jul 3, 2020

Excellent

By ARAVINDA K

Sep 24, 2020

Even though the course is well-organized, the presentation could be more vivid, rather than remaining to be only a verbal content delivery. The key definitions and the concepts could be revised now and then, in the forthcoming videos. More importantly, the opinions a few psychologists is discussed at length, but the concept of mind as per the deeper teachings in cultural texts or spiritual teachings is not covered. In fact, the mind's unconscious side is discussed only in spiritual teachings.

By Alexandra O

Oct 28, 2020

It is a valuable course. After the first week it was required to read 1 book of Freud which I enjoyed doing. I am glad to have receivedinformations about defense mechanisms, dream theory, adaptive unconscious, psychological immune system, implicit bias, conscious will. All these offered me new tools to know myself better, hopefully.

By Gary D P

Oct 20, 2020

Enjoyable course. Well designed and interesting. I did learn something regarding psychology. As we advance as human beings we often forget that psychology needs to be updated. People no longer have the same reservations as they once had. So many of the old theories are now obsolete.

By P N A

Jun 17, 2020

On the whole gives a good overview of the sub concious part of the mind. Would have been better if a module had been included on practical ways on should change some markers that prevent us leading our normal life, like anxiety etc.

By Virginia G

Jun 6, 2020

I really enjoyed this class with the exception of not being able to access much of the information and articles provided. I especially enjoyed the mini meditations that were scattered throughout the course.

By Khaly V

Sep 9, 2020

Very Complete, I would love to recommend that the links for additional reading to be reviewed and updated. Beside this, it was an amazing learning journey.

By Paul D

Aug 2, 2020

I thought that the information presented in the class was clear and easy to understand. The quizzes and discussions reinforced the learning experience.

By Joy S

Dec 8, 2019

This is the second course I have completed in this series. Valuable self-knowledge. Everyone should have this information.

By Ivanyshyn I

I liked this course. Learned many interesting things about consciousness and unconsciousness)))

By Mohammad A

Jul 11, 2020

The materials are so interesting and the sound of meditation really helps me

By Nicole S C

Oct 11, 2020

Some universal things that everyone knows can be avoided.

By Jake L

Apr 1, 2020

It was a pretty interesting and eye-opening course

By Shresht M

it was a great course to be a part off.

By Doug M

Oct 25, 2020

Good content but transcript speech too rambling and not laid out in clear short paragraphs

By Rima E

Dec 8, 2019

A course that provides knowledge to take in consideration too.

By DEBORAH M

Oct 28, 2020

Meditations were great. The course material did not engage me as I expected it to translate to a more personal level of self knowledge. The course is more relevant for someone who seeks a deeper knowledge of the history of this discipline.

By asmita d