Back to Teach English Now! Theories of Second Language Acquisition

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Teach English Now! Theories of Second Language Acquisition by Arizona State University

In this course learners are introduced to second or foreign language theories and practices for teaching and assessing listening, speaking, and pronunciation. Learners will also be introduced to basic studies in second language acquisition and their pedagogical implications. Teachers will be invited to recognize the importance of grounding their own teaching philosophy through an examination of purpose, content, and technique....
Highlights
Applicable teachings
(121 Reviews)
Creatively designed course
(270 Reviews)

AA
Jun 21, 2021

Interesting courses! I am learning a lot. Thank you very much Coursera. I have just completed course 2 and been delivered a certificate but I just can't access my new course. What should I do, please?

NZ
Jun 10, 2018

I'm really enjoying this course. I'm about half way through. I'm looking forrward to how the various courses in this series take me farther and farther into language learning theories and techniques.

1626 - 1650 of 1,654 Reviews for Teach English Now! Theories of Second Language Acquisition

By Mehmet S T

Dec 20, 2015

L

By Armindo G F G

Jul 31, 2017

I had taken this course with a serious mind set, to go all the way till de end; it was very unfortunate that I travelled last year for treatment, due to my health condition; this happened on late March 2016. Later on, by the time I came back home, some unfortunate robbers had stolen my computer, as well as my tablet and other documents, all of them in a brief case. Since last year I could not do anything at all. I am working now with a borrowed computer form a friend of mine. I hope this time I will make up for lost time and move forward with faith, as far as I can. Thank you very much.

By Rodrigo M B S

Feb 10, 2016

A great course and fully packed with interesting information about different methodologies thought time. Wouldn't give it 5 stars because most part during the video lectures are just silly and although I know the professor is trying his best to convey an idea, it seems like there are moments it just drifts away from the point. Also, the "angel x devil" debates are equally silly, opposite to the following overview video which is excellent. I'd recommend everybody to take this course but I certainly wouldn't do it again and neither dowload the videos for future reference.

By Thomáz D M

Apr 19, 2020

Both teachers were great in providing an introduction to the different theories of second language acquisition. However, I wish the content was deeper regarding each approach, or, at the very least, that we were provided with more guidance regarding which books and articles to read from the most important authors in the field.

By Mariia N

Dec 2, 2019

Really annoying and unfunny, but I learned something through completing the table. Had to read transcripts because videos (especially angel and devil debates) were unbearable. The teacher is a bad actor and he could have explained it normally. So the contents are good, but the way of presenting material is just embarrassing.

By Joelle H

Nov 30, 2016

Some of the videos weren't as clear as the previous course's videos. I suggest less gimmicks and more focus on learning the history. I will admit there were times I was lost on the quizzes because the videos weren't clear enough.

By alba l

Jul 17, 2019

In my opinion, it's too much content, and the tasks are very repetitive. The information and the way the professor explains is excellent, as well as the examples he gives to the teachers.

By Reem K

Feb 26, 2016

i dont want to know the history of language and the pendulum swing i just want a list short and simple in a single 20 min video and move one. this was so boring

By Ahmed W A

Jul 13, 2018

Actually, I was not always interested in studying history of teaching. This course helped me a lot to know what style I'm following, though.

By Lizeth D M

Mar 22, 2021

I know the importance about the different approaches about teaching English but I have to admit that I felt it long.

By David L

Dec 20, 2016

Less is more. Not always, but it would be in this case. A lot of the lectures are unwatchable for me.

By Saif A J A

Feb 12, 2019

The course has lost a lot of its value due to overacting!

By W.arina

May 2, 2016

the content should be presented more interesting.

By Rocio

By brenda m

Jan 11, 2021

By jlsellers

Mar 14, 2020

I loved the other courses but this one was unfortunately deadly boring to me. I enjoyed the devil angel parts and also the attempts at drama but the way the tests were done it was so confusing. There was so much overlap in the way things have been done. I had to go back into the modules , and verbatim write down exactly what the teachers were saying in order to get the answers correct instead of understanding the general principleswhich I was hoping for. Surely there is a better way to explain these different methods and Link sound bites so we can remember them and access them more easily.

By Steve K

Nov 5, 2020

The videos are nice but I would have liked to see more written materials/notes. It's kind of ironic that a course about teaching techniques heavily emphasizes one way of learning (listening) and doesn't appreciate that some people prefer to read/learn on their own. Also, I don't like the deadlines and having to wait on other students to complete their assignments to finish the course. I understand the rationale behind this (to make more money) but I'd like the flexibility to finish the course at my own pace.

By Dave B

Jun 6, 2016

These themes felt very surface-level and redundant. The material could likely have been covered more quickly and allowed for more time to be spent on more tangible, every day information that might help those that are not already teachers.

By Mary K

May 7, 2021

The time travel videos really made me cringe. The over-the-top dramatization of it was super distracting, and a lot of it wasn't relevant and could have been done quicker. The tests were really easy though, so that was nice.

By Paul F

Apr 29, 2020

The acting in the videos seemed too immature for an adult audience, and I felt that the over-the-top nature of it detracted from the course content.

By Oyeleye A

Apr 16, 2020

Not so relevant to my purpose. The promotion of the course was misleading. I had thought it was the Tesol course with certificate.