Back to Teach English Now! Theories of Second Language Acquisition

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Teach English Now! Theories of Second Language Acquisition by Arizona State University

In this course learners are introduced to second or foreign language theories and practices for teaching and assessing listening, speaking, and pronunciation. Learners will also be introduced to basic studies in second language acquisition and their pedagogical implications. Teachers will be invited to recognize the importance of grounding their own teaching philosophy through an examination of purpose, content, and technique....
Highlights
Applicable teachings
(121 Reviews)
Creatively designed course
(270 Reviews)

ZY
Oct 10, 2018

Teachers are great. The course is fun and informative. I love this specialization. I look forward to completing all the courses as soon as possible. I highly recommend this course and specialization.

NZ
Jun 10, 2018

I'm really enjoying this course. I'm about half way through. I'm looking forrward to how the various courses in this series take me farther and farther into language learning theories and techniques.

151 - 175 of 1,541 Reviews for Teach English Now! Theories of Second Language Acquisition

By Sean

Sep 10, 2019

Brilliant, well structured, very useful and, helpful. Thanks be to the guys who put this course together. Thank you DR Shane (for presenting this course), and, associates. And, thank you Coursera. And, thank you Arizona State University. You guys are great.

By HASSAN A O

Jul 19, 2019

I found the course "Teach English Now" by Arizona State University a powerful tool in teaching practice. It gave me a better understanding of language acquisition and interesting techniques to apply in the classroom. It was my pleasure to study this course.

By Vorobeva Y I

Jul 31, 2018

The course was a really funny journey to different periods of teaching history. I enjoyed the videos and the teachers! There are a lot of interesting historical facts along with descovering of approaches applyed through the history. Thanks fot a great work!

By Hanna S M

Aug 9, 2017

This course is lengthier than the previous one. It's really fun and interesting to learn this way. Thank you ASU for providing such an inspiring course to ESL/EFL teachers around the world. Thank you to the teaching team for their great effort. Keep it up!

By Yue Z

Feb 3, 2021

I like the format of the lesson - very creative and informative at the same time! In the acting parts, there were some stereotypes that might make people feel uncomfortable and could be adjusted. Overall, it's a wonderful course and I highly recommend it!

By David H

Jan 16, 2021

An exciting and informative journey !! I recommend this module in order for you to take some techniques and tools from different approaches. The more you know about different ways of learning a language, the more tools you have to apply on your classes :)

By Karen V

Jun 7, 2020

I am really thankful i found this course. I love the way the topics are presented. The materials to learn and review are amazing and interesting. I've learned a lot. Now i'm ready to continue with the program and to improve all my teaching techniques.

By George L

Jun 21, 2018

This is the best course i have so far, detailing the various approaches to language learning. I learned quite a lot and i think i have more information to make my classes awesome. Thanks to the Arizona State University and the amazing Coursera platform.

By Wang D

Jun 27, 2017

Through the course of Theories of Second language acquisition, I just have a better understanding of the 8 approaches in history. So, I can make use of advantages of them to apply in my own teaching. Great job, ASU team and special thanks to Dr. Shane!

By Miranda B K

Mar 2, 2017

I really enjoyed this course! The content is well organized and easy to comprehend. The assignments are based on videos and current readings. All content is applicable to my current teaching situation and helped me to put theory to my current practices.

By Maria D R P

Jun 18, 2020

It is a great course. I enjoy the techniques and explanations, teachers are really involved in the teaching process and are funny. The Approaches allow us decide what kind of methods and contents we want to use in class. Thank you for this opportunity.

By Alexis V

Mar 22, 2021

Dr Shane rocks! He doesn't mind looking ridiculous, and that's why he is so great. Thanks a lot to Jessica who summarized every single item for us, and her story in China. This is a great team of teachers and students behind the camera. Thank you all!

By Hengameh F

May 23, 2017

I appreciate all professors' efforts to prepare this course and give us the opportunity to learn from them online. I admire Dr. Dixon as a teacher. He is doing great. He depicted Language Teaching methods clearly and artistically. Thank you very much.

By Bayramov A

May 19, 2016

It has been a great experience for me. I have a broaden understanding of the theories and approaches of Second Language Acquisition. I am grateful to each member of the team who helped me to enjoy this course. Thanks Jessica, Dr. Shane and Dr. Justin.

By Eriwell R H

Jan 3, 2016

This course presents various methods to learners and teachers how English should be taught in an extremely effective manner. The videos are well prepared and each lesson has been provided a well structured lesson for all kinds of learners. Keep it up!

By Rachel M

Apr 2, 2019

Took me a long time to finished it but I really enjoyed the lessons and all the essential questions and assessments.

This course from Arizona University is really awesome and easy to follow and understand I will definitely continue with the program.

By Janet W

Sep 27, 2016

The whole course is well put together. Not only do they give you the theory behind teaching but also the tools need to do the job. I highly recommend these course for anyone looking to improve their teaching skills in TESOL or looking to teach it.

By Laura C

Apr 3, 2016

Loved the course but I had to work hard for the grade on this one. The videos were engaging (and fun, yes, fun), making a dry topic like history of ESL teaching a lot more palatable. Be prepared to work hard in this one but it's completely worth it.

By Deepti C

Jul 2, 2020

This is such an amazing experience. It makes me wonder how amazing would the live classes be.

Dr Shane is not just a great teacher but also a great actor :)

The roles played by him to teach are so effective that none can forget the content taught

By Rayyan B

I really loved this course especially the efforts that the teachers made into the costumes and coming up with ideas to make it more fun! Highly recommend it, it was very helpful, now i know which approaches i can apply in my teaching. Thank you!

By Josmar J F P

May 3, 2020

This is an awesome course! I've gotta say that even in the occasions where I thought the resources were too much they came to be pretty much the only way I had to remember what I had studied, if you enroll in this course you'll get what I mean!

By Simone M R

Oct 20, 2020

Eu aprendi muito neste módulo. Os vídeos e atividades propostas ao final de cada semana contribuem muito para o aprendizado dos conteúdos. Excelente curso! Recomendo a todos que desejam buscar um aperfeiçoamento no campo de ensino de idiomas.

By Nataliya

Feb 15, 2016

II found this course extremely useful and intersting because there is a professional content in a exciting artistic mode of study,that involves you in a process and gets a high motivation. Thanks a lot Dr Shane, Jessica and Dr. Justin. I wish

By Rasha A M

Aug 8, 2020

It was a great enjoyable course.I really enjoyed and understood methodology for the first time in my life. You are really brilliant educators and the idea of the time machine and the devil and the angel is really brilliant.Thanks a million.

By Olga G

Oct 30, 2018

I can describe this course as structured, balanced, fresh and easy to comprehend. Moreover, I feel like it brings me back to life ...

Fantastic teachers, who do know how to motivate - thank you!

I will definitely recommend it to my friends.