Back to Leadership in 21st Century Organizations

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Leadership in 21st Century Organizations by Copenhagen Business School

Meet Jim Barton, the new CEO of Santa Monica Aerospace. Jim's job won't be easy: the company's hemorrhaging cash, struggling to regain investors' trust after an accounting scandal, and striving to transform its culture to become a more global competitor. In this course, you’ll travel with Jim as he takes on leadership challenges ranging from strategy execution, to inspiring people, to maintaining an ethical approach. Experts agree that twentieth-century leadership practices are inadequate for the stormy twenty-first-century present. This provocative course equips you with the insights you'll need to rise with the occasion of a rapidly shifting business landscape. The course is based on a book, Harder Than I Thought: Adventures of a 21st Century Leader, by Robert D. Austin, Richard L. Nolan, and Shannon O'Donnell, published by Harvard Business Review Press. Purchase of the book is optional. If you want more information about the book or wish to buy it, see https://hbr.org/product/harder-than-i-thought-adventures-of-a-twenty-first/an/10332-HBK-ENG or http://www.amazon.com/Harder-Than-Thought-Adventures-Twenty-First/dp/1422162591 After taking the course, you'll be able to: o Enact your own personal leadership approach, derived from your ongoing evaluation of how Jim Barton has handled his leadership situation, as well as from established leadership concepts and frameworks; o Avoid leadership actions that might have worked in the past, but are not suited to a newly challenging 21st century world; o Navigate treacherous new 21st century leadership challenges, such as greater reliance on specialized workers or the need to respond to external scrutiny in an increasingly transparent world (and many more); o Avoid "slippery slope" ethical failures, and think more clearly about the separation between public and private life for a 21st century leader....

WS
Jun 18, 2020

Extremely insightfull and practical course,\n\nTouches on a number of aspects of leadership in today's world. I found the reading material very useful, sometimes voluminous but extremely relevant.

AK
Aug 7, 2020

exceelent course by all means. so much was there in the course that it has changed my perspective of looking at leadership challenges in the coming century, full marks to the course designer.

51 - 75 of 251 Reviews for Leadership in 21st Century Organizations

By Rajiv K P

Sep 10, 2020

An exceptional course.

The multi-modal approach using an enacted story to take the themes of learning forward works efficiently to stimulate the participant into thinking and analyzing. The storyline has enough twists and turns to keep you engaged.

The course includes some superb selections for self study (readings and videos) and i would recommend the participants to pursue each one of those.

The faculty are sharp, crisp and equally engaging in their lecture videos.

Overall a very well curated course that goes beyond spoon-feeding you dated theories.

Highly recommended.

By Prakash B J

Dec 27, 2019

It is not simply a study material about the twenty first century leadership concepts, it is much more exhaustive. It is fundamentals with practical experiences, case studies, aptly narrated concepts through videos, role plays, different theories required as a pre-requisite to become a successful leader. Participation in discussions forum in every module makes one to think and proceed and not just to read and proceed. I being in Aerospace company, the course material has been very close to my heart. Thanks faculties and Coursera for offering such a nice course.

By Ana M H C

Jul 19, 2020

A great course, I believe everyone that is interested in leadership must take this course. I liked all the examples (Jim Barton's leadership), the theory was easy to understand. The only thing is that they put Wall Street Journal articles and since I don't have the subscription I couldn't read those articles. Besides the course is longer (since the readings are a lot and long) but they put 10min for like 2 hours readings.

By Heather G

Nov 24, 2018

One of the best MOOCs I've ever participated in. The combination of theatre and lecture is unique, and the structure really lends itself to helping learners understand leadership. It's a lengthy course, and yet still somehow not long enough.

There is one odd section on autism that doesn't really seem to fit with the rest of the course topics and learning objectives, but it's otherwise quite excellent.

By Balamurugan

Jul 1, 2020

One of the most interesting study program I ever undertook. The course was administered almost in the form of a story and with very lively acting by all characters involved. Not to forget quite tough questions to the learner at the end of each chapter !! Each chapter touched upon something very important and relevant to 21st Century leader. Hats off to the content team and execution team !!

By Jens S S

Dec 9, 2015

I am a little more than half way through this course and do indeed enjoy the variation in references and unique learning techniques used. The course provides up-to-date knowledge on leadership and is also in sync with the dynamic and global business environment of today. According to my experience so far, participation in this course is triggering both reflection and valuable action

By Erik H

Jan 2, 2016

One of the best leadership courses I have participated in. Really good combination of theory and much emphasis on actual how to do and real world scenarios. Great course!

If you are tired of the normal theory bla bla this is really a course for you. You learn a lot and then you get to follow Jim Barton on his journey from a bean counter to a CEO of a manufacturing company.

By Joana S

Jun 5, 2020

i found this course amazing. It wasn't filled with too must theory, but the enough to make you understand the different examples and situations shown. It was really nice the videos about jim Barton and it helps with the understanding of all the concepts. Thank you very much Copenhagen Business School for putting it together and Coursera for having it.

By Sachindra N

Jun 26, 2017

A nice course that walks you through leadership and management theories using examples from real world as well as fictitious reading material and role plays. The situation used in the role plays are very close to reality - many of them are based on real events.

Being able to read through all the course material at one place is in itself a pleasure

By Renan C L

Jun 26, 2020

Thiscourse is really Amazing! The best course i take in Coursera yet! Theygonnagive a precous teaching, the production of the videos is so high, so many insight and useful content. Also, they invest so much to recording and simulate how things going on inside the company, that series is based in a book. You not going lost your time here!

By Raj S

Jun 12, 2016

This is one of the best management/leadership courses I have ever taken. The material is very creative and helps increase our attention span. My favorite part is learning from the additional resource/links posted (TED talks, youtube links, etc). They are very interesting and I learnt so much in so little time. Keep up the good work.

By Dr V N

May 9, 2020

Excellent insights and learning from the course. It has helped me open my mind to the possibilities and the challenges of this century and the approach required to handle them. This course has helped me reconsider many of my fixed beliefs and I look forward to applying the new learning in my organisation.

By Greg W

Dec 20, 2015

Coming close to the end of this course, it's been a huge help to me at work as I've been working toward re-forming a somewhat dysfunctional team. Ever module has had an impact on my daily work life, and because of that I'm a bit sad to see it end. I hope to keep learning from the same course developers!

By MANISH D

Very well developed course content. The associated videos and reading materials make it even more convenient. A thorough study and review of the discussion forums also helps the learning process. Overall, I am quite impressed and I am sure that this learning will take me ahead in my professional life.

By OYEWUSI, F A

Jun 3, 2020

Great exposure to what 21st century leadership entails, highly inspiring and positively added great value to my life in terms of taking a new leadership role, skills acquisition and knowledge capturing.

Great and resourceful teachers, excellent course contents and brain tasking assessments.

By Laxmi K S

Jul 12, 2020

I An excellent course to complete. The instructors and the acting team were excellent. Being a Corporate Trainer, the course has helped me to refresh and regain a new and more insightful perspective to leadership. It shall certainly help me to deliver better to my clients.

Thank you.

By Neha K

It was my first experience with Coursera, the course turned out to be very rigorous. It has every mitigating detail to resource you and you'll find everything insightful. In the end, you'll have an achievement feeling as you'll be a different person with added skills & knowledge!

By N S

Excellent course. The way the course was taken through dramatized episodes was appealing. The concepts that are presented in the course will truly be useful in leading a 21st century organisation. The course also taught about the personal qualities which a leader must have.

By Sanjeeva K V

May 14, 2020

The course is well designed and packed with very interesting real world experiences of leadership success and failures. The course provides full lecture series and videos, and articles. I really enjoyed the course and feels that the course is must to do.

Thanks

By Raviprem C J

Aug 22, 2020

This is one of the best Leadership courses available, I would encourage each and everyone including existing leaders to complete this course which will refreshing the knowledge and makes us a better leader in professional as well as in personal space

By Chee T

Jul 8, 2020

Fantastic course with a very attractive drama style of presentation about Jim Barton. I have enjoyed this course like watching a movie but yet gaining a lot of useful approaches. 5 STARS from me! I strongly recommended to you to enrol to this course!

By Sai V N

Jul 2, 2020

This is my first course from Coursera, This course is well compiled with real time examples. Faculty are really knowledgeable and taught exactly what is required for a 21st century Leader. Its a really nice course for all Leaders.

By VERHOLLE

Aug 26, 2020

very interesting training a pity that some document links are not anymore working and that too many subscriptions are requested to access to documents (no a problem of cost but more a problem to manage subscriptions in the time)

By wei z

Sep 21, 2017

it lead me think through the management of a company.

Leading a company is not about only the leadership, but also will counter so many kinds aspects problem. The idea is very new and helpful to know what a CEO must know and do.

By Shanti R T (

Aug 17, 2020

Wonderful course! What I prefer the most in this course is the opportunity of developing our own Leadership Theory, with all the necessary orientation and exposures. Beneficial for leaders and would be leaders as well!