Back to Chinese for Beginners

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Chinese for Beginners by Peking University

SA

Awesome experience it was a comprehensive and informative course. I learnt alot. Thank you coursera for providing us such a nice and global platform to enhance skills and knowlegde by sitting at home.

PP
Apr 24, 2020

She teaching very well! Easy to understand, her accent is very clear to understand, lesson is very useful to and might can use it for real. Thank you for lovely teaching and lovely lesson\n\nThank you

76 - 100 of 4,651 Reviews for Chinese for Beginners

By Kevin F C P

Jan 21, 2018

To me as an english and spanish speaker, it has always been a little bit hard to approach any side of the chinese culture. I live in the northern City of Chile: Calama, where all the chinese culture we get is the food and the plastic products... I find this course very well structured and am very grateful for having the oppotunity to be part of the increasing number of people interested not just in the language but also on the whole chinese culture. Thanks again!!!

By Puchit H

Sep 19, 2020

It's very good. you can follow along easily and can apply what you learned in everyday life!

Perfect for a beginner or those who have some experiment and want to brush your brain :)

I really like studying online as I could go fast or slow by myself. The course itself has divided into 7 weeks. But It took me around 4 hrs to finish all the video materials and reading :D Glad to come across here and will definatetly keep it up to the higher level :) xiexie laoshi

By Khalid M

Aug 20, 2021

This course offered by Peking University is a very useful source for the people who want to learn new things at different stages of life. I had a great experience throughout this 7 week course and with each week passing, my confidence to learn this language has increased. The instructor," Professor Liu Xiaoyu, MD gave thorough description through videos which were a complete package. I am highly grateful to the university for providing such opportunities.

By Alicia M

Jan 27, 2021

La verdad lo recomiendo, no se si habrán otras personas de Latinoamérica que le haya ayudado este gran curso y es un experiencia diferente, se acoplan a tu ritmo y es fácil el manejo de la pagina y el curso, no tuve ningún problema. Solo con un comentario si no sabes lo básico de ingles se te dará dificultad al ver el video de clase y leer en español, al igual que es los cuestionarios, pero con poco de traductor se facilitara todo. 100% recomendad.

By Kristine A M

Oct 18, 2015

Peking University's Chinese for Beginners course has been very interesting and comprehensive in covering the basics that would be truly useful and stimulating for beginners. The course has had simple yet adequate approach in teaching and assessing students' learning. For better practicing of conversations and lessons, it might be helpful if actual dialogues between the lecturer and a co-teacher were presented for the students to hear and learn from.

By Anna R

Jan 19, 2021

Highly recommended. The format of the lessons is well structured and enjoyable. The teacher is excellent. The emphasis and attention on pronunciation is one of the most valuable feature of the course. I started learning basic Chinese some years ago, but then I drop out and could not find enough motivation to go back on track. Till I came across this course.. It helped me to refresh some basic vocabulary and grammar, and motivated me to learn more.

By Tinyakova E A

Jul 26, 2021

T​he course "Chinese for beginners" is excellently compiled! The words introduced give the possibility to expand communication. I enjoyed the phonetic of the instructor. Still there is a culture background in the course! I appreciate especially the intelligent tone of the course. Million of thanks! At the end the gradual transition to hyerogliphers. Fine. Before the course I did already Chinese learning. This course has polished my knowledge.

By Lydia P

Oct 10, 2021

I really enjoy the course. I learn easily and pleasantly so much. Instructor made this a great exprerience. She presents the courses with care and experience. She sure made me wanna enroll to all of her courses. Her course was engaging, full of knowledge in language and information about China. I thought it would be hard to learn the language but with this course I managed to talk about many topics. I would highly recommend you this course.

By Amanda B

Jul 7, 2016

Excellent beginners course in Mandarin. The teacher introduces new words using pinyin in each 3-4 minute lesson and the content is reviewed in a quiz. The content is limited to reading and pronouncing pinyin words, which is perfectly acceptable to me since I'm supplementing this course with other in person classes. I love the 4 minute classes 4 times per week, since I never felt like I'm so far behind the deadlines that I can't catch up.

By Dorottya F

Feb 7, 2017

This course is very useful for people who just started to learn Chinese. It is well-paced, every week has 4-5 sections with a 3 minute video in the beginning that introduces new words and or grammar point. The topics are useful and the vocabulary and grammar that we learn are at HSK 1 level. The quizzes are short and the deadlines motivate you and help you keep track. I also really liked our professors voice and the way she spoke Chinese.

By Althea O

Feb 2, 2016

I really enjoyed this course. The presenter was lovely. She was easy to follow and very clear in her speaking. She taught me how to speak sentences and questions. And she presented me with a lot of new vocabulary which I know I will have to sit down and learn. It is a great refresher course if you have tried to learn Chinese before. There is nothing threatening about it. I hope a follow-up course will be created. I will definitely do it.

By Manjari R

Sep 14, 2015

A wonderfull introduction for beginners in Chinese. This was my first Chinese lesson ever, and i really enjoyed it : easy to understand. The teacher speaks very slowly and repeats each word/sentence 2 times, so we have time to train our ears to the "chinese speaking music". :-)

This course focuses on oral chinese only (speaking and understanding), but you can go further and use other online ressources to learn reading/writing chinese too.

By Dustin D

Jan 10, 2021

A good course for the basics of speaking and understanding chinese. Recommended for every person that is curious about the language and want to have some understanding before going into more extensive courses.

Buen curso para aprender lo basico del idioma. Se lo recomiendo a cualquiera persona que tenga un interes en aprender el idioma y le gustaria tener por lo menos una idea del idioma antes de comenzar con curso mas extenso.

By Daniel D

Mar 2, 2021

I really enjoyed completing this course. The teacher is very charming and explains the material very well. This was my first language course in Chinese and it was a very pleasant experience. Chinese will be the seventh language for me to learn and this course ignited my curiosity to explore and study it further and deeper, especially its calligraphy. It is a very tough path for an European but I am very motivated. Thank you!

By CHANATHORN P

Apr 21, 2020

I love this course because I'll be trying to learn Chinese by my-self. For the first time, it quite difficult for me because I didn't learn Chinese before but after that, it will be better and I like it so much.

I would like to say thank you for the teacher on this course very much, she is a good teacher. She's explained to an easy way to understand and feel funny to learn.

I feel wonderful and very happy to get this course.

By EGLEE W

Jan 28, 2021

It is a very interesting class because it push the student to add more vocabulary on the student own account. Once we can express our daily routine, likeness and dislikes, we are good to start, we just have to add some Chinese movies to watch daily so we don't lose what we have learned and review our notes daily. It will be nice to be able to continue with the next level of this Chinese classes. Lǎoshī, xièxiè. 再见

Zàijiàn

By Tina D

Aug 27, 2020

Short Lectures and a quick test after each one really helped me to learn. If you're devoted, the course can be actually finished in way shorter time. Offers real knowledge on beginner's Chinese. Focuses more on the spoken than the written word, in order to make it easier for those that don't know how to read the Chinese alphabet, or are intimidated by it. In general, that was a great course, totally recommended! Xiexie!

By Naylea E A M

Mar 22, 2016

I absolutely loved the course, it was tough at the beginning but the teacher gives you examples and makes observations on the pronounciations and repeatedly reminds you how to pronounce the words. So that really helps your ear to open to the different sounds and vowels, and you get better with every assignment. Also the extra exercises helps you to get a better understanding of the Chinese culture, weather, food, etc.

By Laarni J R

Oct 5, 2021

I loved the approach of the instructor, in which she introduced the Chinese language from its most basic nuances (vowels/intonations) to its usage in actual conversation. The choice of topics in which each nuances were introduced was also A+, the laying out of information was gradual and not in-your-face. Overall, I enjoyed learning from Ms. Xiaoyu Liu. I will definitely be enrolling in the course's continuation.

By Jorfran H P C

Jul 20, 2016

I loved this course , so good, now I have the basic notions to start a conversation in Chinese. Thanks to the creators of this course for giving me the opportunity to do it, I recommend it so muchi./Me encantó este curso, muy bueno, ahora ya tengo las nociones básica para entablar una conversación en chino. Gracias a los creadores de este curso por darme la oportunidad de poder realizarlo, lo recomiendo bastante.

By RiCha r S

Jan 16, 2017

This course was dynamic and amazing. I found myself returning to the interface after class was completed to see if there was a second class to continue progress. I felt depleted to find there is no other course to continue the learning in this area. Thank so much. I really got a great deal out of this course and pray I can revisit it to practice off an on, while I am taking other Coursera courses for TESOL.

By Joerg W

Jan 23, 2017

The course "Chinese for Beginners" is a good introduction for the "fresh meat" of those striving to learn the Chinese Language and has got all it takes to get you immersed into the language. You just have to find your individual method of staying in it. I will also do the Chinese character for Beginners course, which seems promising. As already mentioned, it all depends on your effort, time and motivation!

By Melissa

Jul 9, 2018

Realmente es lo básico, por lo cual es importante dedicar tiempo a practicar y estudiar para aprender el vocabulario ya que es de uso cotidiano. Muchos dirán que es muy básico pero ya qusieran escuchar una conversación sencilla y entender. Recomiendo memorizar y practicar diario para no olvidar ya que es un vocabulario totalmente diferente al nuestro. ¡Ánimo, Sí se puede aprender muy bien en éste curso!

By Fernando C F

Apr 28, 2020

Language sounds, vocabulary, and grammar are the first steps in the language learning process, and this course focus right in these aspects in a very effective way. After taking some courses on Mandarin Chinese, I am pretty sure this is the most friendly and best choice for somebody that has never studied this language - or need / wish to improve ground concepts in pronunciation vocabulary and grammar.

By Jira H

Apr 19, 2020

According to the current situation in the world, Chinese is gradually intervened into our life, so It is recommended to take this, for its lessons allow you to grab many useful and essential terms or idioms with regards to the Chinese language. The course and instruction is not that tricky, but it grants the learners for getting involved into the environment of the daily Chinese, which is very handful.