Back to Chinese for Beginners

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Chinese for Beginners by Peking University

PP
Apr 24, 2020

She teaching very well! Easy to understand, her accent is very clear to understand, lesson is very useful to and might can use it for real. Thank you for lovely teaching and lovely lesson\n\nThank you

SA

Awesome experience it was a comprehensive and informative course. I learnt alot. Thank you coursera for providing us such a nice and global platform to enhance skills and knowlegde by sitting at home.

4576 - 4600 of 4,644 Reviews for Chinese for Beginners

By yoppiflexle

Jun 20, 2020

no pinyin to teach us so a little bit hard

By Beatriz C

Jan 30, 2019

good teacher but i not a great course

By Susan K

Apr 8, 2016

Pretty good course for beginners.

By Antariksha M

Aug 31, 2019

I would love to learn more :) .

By Andrea D

Oct 19, 2016

Ok as intro to chinese language

By Kidus D

Apr 16, 2018

good job

By Quỳnh N

Sep 22, 2015

Good

By Зызыкин Г В

Aug 25, 2020

还可以

By Cherry K

Jun 8, 2021

v

By Axel E

Oct 4, 2017

The course is helpful for learning specific expressions but does not provide a lot of building blocks. Phrases are provided as a block and often have to be deconstructed to understand which word means what, so that that word can be used in another context. For example: we are told that "kan shu" means "reading", but since "kan" means "to watch", does that mean that "shu" means book? There are also a lot of common endings to words; being told what those endings mean (e.g. "day") would help recognize unknown words in different context (e.g. hearing a word that ends in "-tian" indicates that we're talking about days, which would help understanding the general meaning of a sentence).

The quizzes are not challenging and do not help with the learning.

The most useful part of the course is the vocabulary list at the end of unit 7, but I could not find a way to download it. Too bad!

By Jenny

Oct 12, 2015

I thought she was a nice Teacher but Didn't teach the Basics steps into speaking & learning chinese .

If she had started with ABC alphabet how to write & speak the first week then taught to sound each letter out in different pitches of volume 2week then to sentences building 3rd week so on .

it would had been much more helpful I believe ...

I sad that i had to leave the course b/c it seem and look like a great obertonty ... but it went to fast didn't cover what i Expected it would.. :(

By Kobi K C

Sep 11, 2015

The whole course is basically a short topic based phrasebook being read-out and over-explained in English. Since I already speak English, this isn't very useful. The course contains no dialogues, or any real situations where vocab's being reviewed. I found the exercise nitpicky and confusing, and there's no indication nor review of what actually you did wrong. Better just use an audio-phrasebook and repeat it using the same time.

By TASNIM A S

Jul 9, 2020

This course will help anyone to understand the basic things of Chinese Language. I, personally have been so helpful thus I have no idea about Chinese language. The course have been organized such a nice way. I like it and I prefer this course to those who are also a beginners like me. Thank you.

By Juliet H

Oct 24, 2015

I am giving it a 2 and am leaving the course because several of the recordings in the second quiz don't work. It is not possible to participate when there are technical difficulties like this. If the recordings worked, I am sure it would be a very fun and interesting class.

By Jiejie W

Aug 29, 2020

Doesn't seem like enough material for 7 weeks. Typically finished a week's worth in an afternoon. Could have put more work into the examinations, which didn't really help me reinforce the material most of the time.

Nov 4, 2015

This teacher reminds me of old aunties that tried to tell me how to think. "That's just the way it is" is never a good reason for me.