Back to Chinese for Beginners

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Chinese for Beginners by Peking University

SA

Awesome experience it was a comprehensive and informative course. I learnt alot. Thank you coursera for providing us such a nice and global platform to enhance skills and knowlegde by sitting at home.

Sep 16, 2016

Thanks for this course. I like it and this language really so necessary for me and my job. My company in New Zealand - ESKA Ltd (www.eskaltd.co.nz, eskaltd.com) and we are work with aliens from China.

4626 - 4650 of 4,684 Reviews for Chinese for Beginners

Apr 16, 2018

good job

By Quỳnh N

Sep 22, 2015

Good

By Зызыкин Г В

Aug 25, 2020

还可以

By Cherry K

Jun 8, 2021

v

By Axel E

Oct 4, 2017

The course is helpful for learning specific expressions but does not provide a lot of building blocks. Phrases are provided as a block and often have to be deconstructed to understand which word means what, so that that word can be used in another context. For example: we are told that "kan shu" means "reading", but since "kan" means "to watch", does that mean that "shu" means book? There are also a lot of common endings to words; being told what those endings mean (e.g. "day") would help recognize unknown words in different context (e.g. hearing a word that ends in "-tian" indicates that we're talking about days, which would help understanding the general meaning of a sentence).

The quizzes are not challenging and do not help with the learning.

The most useful part of the course is the vocabulary list at the end of unit 7, but I could not find a way to download it. Too bad!

By Jenny

Oct 12, 2015

I thought she was a nice Teacher but Didn't teach the Basics steps into speaking & learning chinese .

If she had started with ABC alphabet how to write & speak the first week then taught to sound each letter out in different pitches of volume 2week then to sentences building 3rd week so on .

it would had been much more helpful I believe ...

I sad that i had to leave the course b/c it seem and look like a great obertonty ... but it went to fast didn't cover what i Expected it would.. :(

By Kobi K C

Sep 11, 2015

The whole course is basically a short topic based phrasebook being read-out and over-explained in English. Since I already speak English, this isn't very useful. The course contains no dialogues, or any real situations where vocab's being reviewed. I found the exercise nitpicky and confusing, and there's no indication nor review of what actually you did wrong. Better just use an audio-phrasebook and repeat it using the same time.

By TASNIM A S

Jul 9, 2020

This course will help anyone to understand the basic things of Chinese Language. I, personally have been so helpful thus I have no idea about Chinese language. The course have been organized such a nice way. I like it and I prefer this course to those who are also a beginners like me. Thank you.

By Juliet H

Oct 24, 2015

I am giving it a 2 and am leaving the course because several of the recordings in the second quiz don't work. It is not possible to participate when there are technical difficulties like this. If the recordings worked, I am sure it would be a very fun and interesting class.

By Jiejie W

Aug 29, 2020

Doesn't seem like enough material for 7 weeks. Typically finished a week's worth in an afternoon. Could have put more work into the examinations, which didn't really help me reinforce the material most of the time.

Nov 4, 2015

This teacher reminds me of old aunties that tried to tell me how to think. "That's just the way it is" is never a good reason for me.

By Valentina R

Jun 27, 2020

You do have to have requisites to understand this course. Pronunciation is confusing and lack of guidance in the process.

By Youssef

Mar 15, 2021

in that course you will learn the spoked chinese using pinyin , i expected to see any hanzi but i didnt

By jorge m v m

Aug 12, 2016

I think with more listen exercises this course will be better and the length of the videos too short.

By Maroun B

Oct 24, 2016

I wish the Chinese characters were provided for all the vocabulary and example sentences taught

By Eva T C

Oct 21, 2015

the classes are sometimes extremely boring and some things are not clearly explained

By Gorret F

Oct 12, 2015

A submission too complicate to learn chinese-Three submission is too reasonable.

By mayank m

Jan 13, 2016

good good fdsfdsfsjjfjnefvk ekjvbkvh brkh4 3vk vk4r vk4 kv k34v rk4r vg4 kv

By Navapa V

Nov 1, 2021

It's not suitable for a person who has some basic Chinese

By Akihiro M

Sep 16, 2021

Chinese characters would help, not recommended

By Carissa S

Mar 24, 2021

hard to understand for beginners

By Christian

Feb 17, 2016

Very basic, we need sequels