Back to First Step Korean

Jun 08, 2017

26 - 50 of 1,776 Reviews for First Step Korean

By Andrea L

Dec 05, 2018

Un curso muy completo y que recomiendo

By Mehar K

Dec 18, 2018

it is awesome

By Carolain G

Dec 11, 2018

Excelente!!

By Victoria O * 欧

May 03, 2018

This course is nice, because you can learn a lot. And it's really nice. If you finish this course, and you study it, i'm sure you will speak very well.

But i would like to say something. This course could be boring, and a little tired. I finished it, but i feel i didn't learn so i'm repeating it again, okay if i didn't learn it's my fault, but i don't feel motivated with this course. I think Suzi is a little boring. She's good. But you can feel tired. Depends the person. Regards! :D

By Büşra G

Oct 16, 2017

I wish there was korean subtitles instead of [FOREIGN] .

By Deniece T

Feb 27, 2016

First Step Korean is a really good beginner course to start learning Korean. The lectures are structured in a clear manner that gives the learner ample examples to understand the usage of the language and allows the learner to practice along very naturally with Prof. Kang.

Personally, when I learnt basic Korean through Korean TV shows and classes in a community club, it was hard for me to grasp the grammar as it was pretty confusing. This basic course allowed me to understand the usage of grammar, such as 이, 가, 은, 는 and transforming basic form verbs.

The lectures are delivered in a way that allows you to learn in a gradual manner and frequently review what you have learnt in previous lectures. The subtitles and notes make the lessons really easy to understand and follow.

Through Coursera's online platform, the video lectures allows easy review of the lecture without having to physically sit through a class. I'm glad and grateful that First Step Korean is offered on Coursera and I hope there's a Second Step Korean in the near future for us to carry on with intermediate learning.

By Lauren R

Jun 24, 2019

I have been self-teaching myself Korean for about 6 months and have found it extremely difficult. This course offered me the ability to listen to a native speaker and to communicate and practice real time. I love it so much, my only complaint is that it did not go into depth on the honorifics. I am advanced enough that I have a good grasp on basic speech and I have a large vocabulary, I just lack the ability to use appropriate honorifics. That being said, I learned something new every lesson and got a good grasp on the concept of time and questions that I have been having trouble on. I would highly recommend this for someone who has just started learning and has begun to familiarize themselves. For someone totally new to the language, it might be a bit overwhelming, but it worked great for me and the basic knowledge I already acquired. Also, Mrs. Seung is an amazing instructor and her voice kept me focused and helped me to learn!

By Безрукова М А

Oct 31, 2017

Курс First Step Korean - самое лучшее для новичков, что я нашла в интернете, по крайней мере из бесплатных курсов. Вам действительно по полочкам разложат базовые знания об алфавите, самой-самой базовой (но очень необходимой!) грамматике и дадут нехилый для начинающего словарный запас. Золотое правило прохождения этого курса - не беги впереди паровоза, но и не просиживай часами за зубрежкой. Вам будет поступать немало информации даже за такие короткие уроки. Уделяй несколько минут после прохождения урока на понимание, запоминание, и повторение пройденного. Но ненужно загоняться и тратить на это все свое время. С другой стороны, честно выполняйте работу, потому что вы делаете это в первую очередь для себя!

Всем удачного прохождения курса и дальнейших успехов!

P.S. Вы же будете учить и стараться, да?

By Mo'lanee S

Sep 20, 2017

This is my second time taking this course and I can't begin to thank the organizers, instructors, moderators enough. This course was my first formalized experience with Hangugeo and the way it's structured really helps you get started with basic Korean. I also took the next course 'Learn to speak Korean 1,' and together with this course, I have a better grasp of Korean language than I could have ever accomplished on my own. What really enriched my learning experience was writing everything down, pausing the videos and reinforcing what I hear via speaking and demonstration. I am earnestly waiting for more courses from these guys in Korean; they have an excellent touch that is nonpareil to other Korean language courses I have used.

앞으로도 즐겁게 공부합시다. 쌤, 너무너무 감사합니다.

By Lesley P

Aug 13, 2017

I very much enjoyed the clarify and structure of this course. I have been studying Korean in a classroom situation, but I have found that devoting one big block of time once a week - at the of the workday when I am tired - has been difficult. Also the mixed abilities and ages in the class meant that some were pressing to move faster, while others of us would have benefitted from a more moderate place. This way I learn at my own pace, at a time suitable to me, and I have regular contact with the language during the week.

The only disadvantage I can see is not having others to 'talk' to, but I haven't found that concerning at this early stage.

Very well thought out.... just the right mix of techniques

By Juan S S A

Jul 20, 2017

This is an amazing Korean language course. Professor Seung Hae Kang is a wonderful instructor and the course is really well designed. It has a 'situation approach' in which daily life experiences are used cleverly to teach vocabulary, pronunciation tips, particles and common expressions. It also teaches some useful facts about Korean culture and the course's discussion forums are highly active with nice mentors willing to help.

I truly enjoyed the content and I would strongly recommend to take this course to anyone who wants to get started in Korean language. Thank you to Yonsei University, professor Seung Hae Kang and all the staff involved in the development of this course.

고맙습니다!

By TRIPET-COSTET G

May 02, 2016

Excellent cours, bien construit. Bien expliquer qui m'a beaucoup aidé surtout pour les prononciations, la professeure accentue bien chaque lettres donc on arrive a bien les différencier pour l'apprentissage. Le vocabulaire est aussi très précis et bien expliqué. Le cours est excellent mais je trouve les exercices peut-être un peu trop facile voir trop facile mais j'apprend depuis déjà un moment le coréen donc je n'enlève pas d'étoiles ne pouvant pas trop juger sur ça... J'ai participer à ce cours pour m'aider sur certains point notamment la prononciation et pour aussi pouvoir m'aider dans mes projets. Et j'en ressort ravis, je vous le conseil à tous. C'est une bonne expérience.

By Patrick D

Mar 11, 2018

I loved this course! I want to thank Professor Seung Hae Kang, who clearly cares about her students and wants to make sure everyone succeeds. In addition to the great instructor, the lessons were broken into easily digestible segments so that it wasn't discouraging to someone who is just starting out. Also, I found Unit 1 extremely helpful in learning pronunciations of letters, especially to someone unfamiliar with the sounds of Hangeul. This course has inspired me to continue my education in Korean language and culture, and I will be taking Learning to Speak Korean 1 in a few weeks to pursue this goal. Thank you to everyone involved in putting together this course!

By Elysha C

Jan 14, 2018

What a fantastic course! I really learned a lot about Korean basics and feel comfortable progressing to more advance studies after completing this course. I would recommend more opportunities to practice certain sounds and syllables, such as the aspiration/tension sounds and composite vowels, as the provided soundboard only covers the basic consonants and vowels. As an English speaker I had a hard time distinguishing sounds like 시 and 씨. I would also recommend an explanation of more instances of when to use different subject particles, as I would see 은 and 는 in places I did not expect on the quizzes. Thank you so much for the learning opportunity. 고맙습니다!

By Merlin A

Sep 30, 2017

I've completed week 2 (out of 5-week module) and so far I'm learning a lot! Each module is presented clearly and systematically (e.g., starting with basic concept, then as concrete examples on grammar, application in real life, pronunciation, additional vocabulary, quizzes as part of the active learning), as well as in 'bite-sized' chunks. It is not overwhelming at all! It makes learning a new language feasible in my busy life. I've been using my commute time to complete each module. Thank you to instructor(s) and course designer(s)! (I would attempt to use Han-gul to type at least the last sentence but my keyboard is not fitted with the characters yet!)

By ilunga V M

Jul 31, 2016

This has been an exceptional course. I have really enjoyed it as an introductory course to Korean, because it does a good job of teaching the basics without trenching too much in the details. I believe that in beginning stages a learner should not boggle themselves down too much with the details of a language. With time and exposure details are learned. Our instructor was easy to comprehend in her English pronunciation; she was professional, and she seem to enjoy the topic. I feel confident in the foundation that has been set for me and therefore, I am confident to continue what I hope will become a lifetime journey of enjoying and learning Korean.

By Alan W H

Aug 29, 2016

This course provides a well-paced introduction to learning the Korean language. It is well-suited to students who have little or no knowledge of Korean language to begin with. The course videos and the conversations of the players in the instructive videos helps us to get a feel for how the language operates in a real situation. The course lecturer provides detailed explanations of the origins of Korean vowels and consonants, the way the language is constructed, correct pronunciation, and much more. I would recommend this course to anyone who wants to learn the Korean language. Many thanks to our lecturer for this great course.

By Shimi T

Mar 27, 2018

This course is really easy to follow and understand, and the quizzes are not that hard. The teacher draws parallels with English in her explanations, which is helpful if you are confident enough in your English comprehension (if you are not a native speaker). The lessons are both long and short enough at the same time to not overburden a beginner learner and since they are freely available online you can re-watch them at will to practice. The content is also on point, vocabulary and grammar provided are just enough to really kick-start your journey into the depths of learning the Korean language.

By Tsui S L

Jan 10, 2018

Thank you so much. That's help me a lot. I learned more about the daily life terms and sentences. But the speed will be a little bit fast for a brand new learner which don't know the alphabet. Learner have to replay few times to remember and practice. Too many message to their brain. I'll suggest learners to learn some pronounce first, and back to this course to check is the pronounce right. Then learn something new in this course. It will be easier to follow the lectures. (You know there has a deadline of those lectures). By the way, the course is really helpful, I'll recommend learners to join.

By Archana K

Feb 07, 2018

안녕하세요!

When I started this course, I had no idea on how to read or write in Korean. It was an entirely new language and I was very excited but a little scared. However, by the end of this course I could read and write in Korean with ease. The course material was very easy to understand and learn from. I do have to build on my vocabulary but that I am sure is a longer process. I am very glad I enrolled in this course. Overall it was a brilliant experience and I would love to continue studying Korean. I would also like to thank Professor Seung Hae Kang and the mentors for this course.

감사합니다!

By Akarsha A S

Jun 16, 2018

Seung Hae Kang Mam taught each lessons thoroughly. It was very easy to learn.I am an Indian and I have watched more no:of Korean dramas and I like all Kpops , especially EXO. I like Korea very much.I have made Korean dishes .So, I just made up my mind to learn Korean language.So,I took " First step Korean" course.As expected,Coursera always provides best university's courses.It was an awesome experience.I learned Korean language very easily.Now,I am going to take another course "Learn to speak Korean 1" by Yonsei University.Thanks a lot Mam for giving such an awesome teaching.. :)

By Felicia H

Oct 27, 2016

This is a very good beginner course that requires the student to practice, practice, practice. If the student does the work, then the lectures, and quizzes will support them in a substantial way. The quiz is well designed to measure what the student learned in that module. There were some audio issues in the beginning where the audio was wrong, but if you studied hard, you can still choose the correct answer.

This is not a course that can be casually studied, in order to do well, practice is necessary. I appreciate this course and look forward to the next level.

By Liane D

Feb 09, 2016

Very informative but I think that, if I hadn't already had a basic knowledge of the Korean alphabet and grammar structure, I'd have found the grammar explanations to be a bit too brief. Excellent for beginner level refresher though. Some glitches in the tests (e.g. the correct answer being something not taught until the next lesson) and the videos (one lesson unable to be downloaded on any of the computers to which I have access). Would be good if this course had some social /cultural lessons (like how to drink in front of a superior

By Emmanuela

Sep 22, 2019

I started studying Korean by myself with some books, but I know I was going very slow because one thing is studying on books by yourself, an other thing is when someone explains you things and why to do something one way or another. This course is well structured, it allows the learner to improve its written and speaking skills too - along with listening. I would say it helped me so much to understand the basis of this language. Now I can only continue and study hoping one day I will become fluent in Korean. Thank you!

By Saniya K

Nov 19, 2017

I think this is an excellent course for anyone who wants to learn the basics of Korean. I would and have easily recommended this course to a bunch of my friends who wanted to learn Korean but couldn't join classes the way I could! It was a great way for me to revise and I learnt a few things (particularly about pronunciation) which I hadn't known before! Thank you for this course and I really hope that more courses (for higher levels) are added! Best of luck to anyone who is about to start this course :)