Back to Learn to Program: The Fundamentals

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Learn to Program: The Fundamentals by University of Toronto

Behind every mouse click and touch-screen tap, there is a computer program that makes things happen. This course introduces the fundamental building blocks of programming and teaches you how to write fun and useful programs using the Python language....

PC
Jun 4, 2021

Well taught, assignemnts are just right in complexity, its hard enough to no be easy and but not to be frustrating and tests challange your knowledge enough for it to be rewarding to complete with 80%

AG
Dec 15, 2020

Great course for refreshing your python basics, and any beginner looking to pick up Python basics will be in a comfortable spot after completing this course and a bit of practice with the assignments.

76 - 100 of 1,508 Reviews for Learn to Program: The Fundamentals

By Cameron F

Jan 9, 2021

I found this course very useful as an educational resource! I am doing a few other programming courses and found that, unlike most programming courses, it was more than possible to complete this course based solely on the resources provided. Often with other courses I spend a lot of time researching topics that are skimmed over. The only think missing is some information on possible IDEs and REPLs to use, but I just used REPL.it which wasn't hard to find and that was more than enough for practicing and doing my own projects to supplement learning.

By Artem D

Jul 31, 2018

Very good course!

Very usefull from fundamental point of knowledge. You'll build basics of 'how to create BEAUTIFUL code'.

I've took it after having some practice in python. So I've completed it really fast. 100% wort it!

Thank you a lot! Will join the second part tomorrow.

P.S. Before entering this course I've already passed another one (Russian course on Stepik by Bioinformatics Institute) + completed additional practice excersises (pythontutor.ru).

Highly recommed to take these for further or advance practice for Russian students.

By Steve H

Jan 25, 2019

This course was amazing. The instructors did a great job of introducing new facts in a clear and very understandable way. The in-video questions were a great addition and ensured you were following the concepts they had just presented. As well, the quizzes and assignments consolidated what you had just learned - it was great to get immediate feedback on how you were doing. I knew nothing about Python before and took this course as an intro to going deeper into machine learning. This was definitely a great step.

By AJ

Jun 25, 2020

This is the best intro python class I have ever seen. I've tried to learn python on and off for a few years and each class I took ended up moving too fast at certain points and I eventually quit. This class has the perfect balance of being challenging enough to require some thought but also being doable and achievable. I especially loved the function design recipe that is taught early on. I have not seen any course that teaches this structured approach to designing functions. That is a skill I will never forget.

By Alex Y

May 7, 2017

This course is excellent for beginner. The concepts in the video is clearly delivered and the quiz and assignments are very well created to make you think and fill in the gaps which the videos intentionally left out. I particularly like this arrangement, because it actually make us think more and reinforce what we have learnt in the lecture. Everytime I think I have learnt it all through the lecture, I found myself still learn ing a lot more after the assignment. Thanks for making this amazing course.

By Michał B

May 17, 2018

Everything clearly explained, the assignments are strong advantage of this course. After watching a video it's possible to read everything once again, as almost every lecture (besides only 2 of them) is also prepared in the written form. I recommend to attend this course along with their book, marked as "optional reading" - then it'll take a bit longer to complete this course, but this book covers also another aspects (17 sections with excercises for each). Wish they'd do something for Java and SQL!

By Joshua H

Apr 10, 2019

I really enjoyed the forum help with Dr. Patrick, and the video lessons and the professors are great. I like how they explained everything, and how you could follow along. I also like the way it's laid out, as it made it easy to learn. I am glad you can do the quizzes and assignments multiple times, as it allows you to learn from your own mistakes, which makes the lessons better understood. Thank you, I am glad I was able to take this course, especially from my computer located in Michigan.

By Ismael C S

Apr 16, 2020

This course taught me a lot because since I finished my bachelor studies I didn't use any pragramming language and it helped me to remind features and concepts, among others.

As a lot of people said in other opinions, this course isn't intended for beginners because in advanced lectures I had to look for info/help in the inner course forums or in the internet.

I missed some optional exercices for each lectures to give an extra knowledge but in a general view I recommend this course!

By Екатерина А М

Apr 5, 2020

Many thanks to Paul and Jennifer!

It was a pleasure to me every time I started a new week. The course materials and lectures are well-organised and simply explained. And also I liked little features I learned about Python. The Assignments were really practice-oriented. I believe it was the best way for me to learn how to write a program (design steps & many advices & everything step-by-step).

It was the first course I made till the end. Definitely one of the best courses on Python.

By Hugo E J R

Sep 2, 2019

A very good course

I think it accomplishes with its purpose and covers the most important elements about Python and programming.

All the information and modules have clear and neat organization and it's really easy to follow the lessons and complete the assigments and tests.

The assigments themselves are very challenging and push the students to use the knowledge aquired in the lessons and lectures.

Overall, I am very happy with this course and I would defintely recommend it.

By Robert F

Oct 18, 2017

Amazing course. I had no experience in coding and haven't used real maths in 10 years. The first 2-3 weeks were a bit more frustrating than the rest of the course with the expected steeper learning curve, but the satisfaction for completing feels amazing. They way they teach, along with the platform itself is incredible, I'm genuinely shocked how much I was able to pick up in the time that I did - feels like a perfect intro to programming concepts and practical experience.

By Frank L

Aug 29, 2020

Really like the short lecture, quiz, and assignment structure. well organized, presented, and illustrated. The quizzes and assignments are also good components to enhance the learning. You have multiple or unlimited chances to get the quiz and assignment right. This is good for serious learners. The only unsure thing is in the quiz feedback, you don't see your original answer, though you could copy / paste it by yourself. This is not necessarily negative.

By Jonathon M

Mar 13, 2021

This course was a fantastic and very accessible introduction to Python, including basic functions and syntax. The instructors were clear and easy to understand in the videos, and the forums/discussion boards and supporting instructors were extremely helpful. The quizzes and assignments were also fair but comprehensive. I would highly recommend this course for anyone interested in learning Python from scratch who doesn't have any programming experience.

By Daniel G T

Mar 2, 2018

El curso proporciona una base fundamental para programar en python. Lo que mas valoro del mismo es su perfecta dificultad, ya que los exámenes y prácticas resultan dificiles y retadoras pero no frustrantes. Además el presente curso también enseña la dinámica fundamental de lo que consiste la programación teniendo que encontrar soluciones creativas a los diferentes ejercicios planteados partiendo una gran cantidad de recursos suministrados por el mismo.

By Zhenqian Z

Aug 19, 2019

Perfect for those who had some programming background but not used for 10+ years like me. The course has a reasonable increase in difficulty and the quiz during the lectures were very helpful in understanding the contents. The HW enhances your learning of the lectures and has lots of similar options so please be very careful. I would recommend the lecture of read and write to add more examples in distinguishing similar functions.

By Nada A

Jan 22, 2018

Amazing helpful course that took me step by step to learn Python. The videos, explanations, pop-up quizzes, weekly quizzes and assignments were helpful and encourage learning.

If you already know Python, you might find this course too basic but it was fine for me.

The discussions are informative and the mentors and other students are helpful creating a good learning experience.

I truly enjoyed it and learned a lot ! Thank You ^_^

By Sarah P

Jul 27, 2019

I LOVED this course! Not only did I learn so much, but the walkthrough of the code was so helpful. I also really liked the mini quizzes during the video lectures. I will continue to use the visualize tool as I continue my journey into this new skill. I would like to extend a very big thanks to the fantastic instructors and moderators. I will be on the lookout for more programming courses from the University of Toronto!

By Wayne S

Apr 7, 2021

I started not knowing much about programming except for working extensively in excel and doing basic macros. Although this is a beginner programming course, the lecturers had done an exceptional job in pushing me to think and expanding my knowledge.

The course was neither too slow, or too fast. I could learn at my own pace. The course had provided me with the tools to pursue more advanced python programming techniques.

By Akala

Jul 2, 2017

Thank you Jennifer and Paul for making such a wonderful course and making all the material available for all. I have manage not only to code but also to build my own first game in Python. The learning journey with you are both fun and challenging. I am truly grateful for all the hard work you have dedicated into this course and looking forward to explore more coding courses with you. Thank you very much! Xie Xie!

By Guilherme C

Feb 15, 2017

Awesome! I already had a very good idea about programming, so it was kind of fast to go through this course. As always, I learned a lot by listening to all the basic principles of programming again. Different people have different approaches when teaching, which makes sometimes easier to understand things that haven't been much clear yet. Special thanks to UoT and Coursera, you've made learning easy and fast!

By Garry C

Nov 9, 2017

As someone who needed a refresher in Python (having first taken this in university, many years ago), this was a great course with many useful tutorials and examples. It taught me how to think through problems a lot better than Code Academy, and I felt that the material was at a good level. I will be taking the follow on course and hopefully this provides a good foundation for my learning into data science.

By bhavan p

Jun 9, 2018

Jen and Paul are one of the best professors that I have seen so far. They have explained concepts in a very organized and interesting manner. They have designed this course with great excellence and have developed a best way of testing our learning by grading quizzes and assignments online within a matter of seconds. I will feel lucky to get a chance to learn personally under the guidance of Jen and Paul.

By Nick R

Jan 21, 2019

This was a great introductory programming course. I've tried other courses on different sites before and have given up due to lack of solid examples and explanation. This course kept me interested due to its format and pace. The use of video lectures with questions throughout, quizzes at the end of units, and challenging assignments led to an engaging course and a solid understanding of the material.

By Salvin T

I never knew I will be able to do this because I was a Cpp student and the syntax of python was completely different too, at first I felt like it was difficult but later I came to understand that it was much easier than Cpp to code on Python.

I am also very much happy with the course the video lectures were so clear and the practical way of learning made me easier to practice the lessons every day.