Back to Learn to Program: The Fundamentals

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Learn to Program: The Fundamentals by University of Toronto

Behind every mouse click and touch-screen tap, there is a computer program that makes things happen. This course introduces the fundamental building blocks of programming and teaches you how to write fun and useful programs using the Python language....

HA
Aug 17, 2019

Great for a fundamental course. I have to admit that I had learnt python a few years back and was using this as a practice and revision course. But I learnt a lot more which I can add to my knowledge.

CV
Nov 16, 2017

This is a introductory course i would recommend. I especially liked that the instructors took the time to go through the python visualizer and try to unveil some of the background workings in python.

1151 - 1175 of 1,396 Reviews for Learn to Program: The Fundamentals

By Warren H

Apr 22, 2018

This course was great for me as a beginner. It started fairly easy and then became more challenging, which was nice as I was not too familiar with Python. When needed, feedback in forums was there and the instructors were great at responding within a day. I did find that I got lost on some problems since the path of least resistance was trial and error but instructors always guided me back to the fundamentals!

By Abhishek B

Jan 28, 2018

Great teaching! Lectures were very well delivered. Loved the short quizzes in the middle of lectures plus the ones at the end.

Assignments were challenging but doable. Following the discussions on the Forum was extremely rewarding, thanks to good contributions by students and prompt replies from Patric (mentor). Came to the program with no background in programming and completed the course well in time.

By Conrad U

Nov 11, 2016

Great course! This course deep dives into the Python and provided me immediate hands on coding. I enjoyed experiments with this language. The quizzes and final exam were tough but fair. The only complaint I have is that the python visualization tool quiz questions were confusing. I like the visualization tool; it allows one to view code execution which was a must for this course.

By AGGELIS K

Apr 14, 2017

It was a really helpful course! I had previous experience in programming (I have written scripts in Fortran), but having the opportunity to learn a much modern language such as Python was really entertaining.

The assignments were made so that I could utilize each lesson and so did each quiz.

I would firmly recommend this course to people with little to none programming knowledge!

By Mau B

Useful course but in my opinion very basic. I expected basic but thought it would take me at least double the time. Still I'd recommend it if you know nothing about programming and want something to start with. It kind of let me thinking I know very little about programming with Python and thinking I want to expand upon what I learned if I really want to make something useful.

By vish

Jun 30, 2017

Very good for grasping the basics, and a nice structure and succinct lectures. Also includes challenging projects which are the best way of learning, more of these would be good. Exceptional mentors on the forums, particularly Patrick Dennis, who gave very detailed responses and was supportive, and posed further questions and thinking points to all. Very good overall.

By Diana H

Mar 13, 2018

I think this class did a good job of teaching programming concepts, but it was not easy. The final assignment was very challenging and it took me weeks to solve it. However, if you have the time and patience to think things out for yourself (with helpful hints from mentors in the forums), you will come away with a good grasp of programming fundamentals.

By shlok d

Oct 26, 2020

Realy great course! had a lot of fun and the tests genuinely were very challenging but fun in their own way.

would have loved to give 5 stars but i don't know if it was just me but the topics of week 6 were explained a bit fast so had some difficulty grasping those especially READING A FILE.

overall a pretty good course with lots to learn

By Carlos M

Jan 6, 2019

It's a fantastic course, I just feel like it seriously lacks more practice exercises to reinforce what you are learning while you are learning it rather than having to go back to weeks because you need to look up a topic you didnt really get much practice on back when they were teaching it! Fantastic teachers and material though!

By Matheus R

Aug 12, 2017

The classes are clear and well explained, the exercises are challenging but not excessively hard and all the content was amazingly well planned and executed. My only problem with the course was the terrible audio quality in the videos. Too many times I had to go back a few seconds to make sure I understood what was being said.

By Nick A

Aug 19, 2019

This course was fun and challenging. I couldn't believe how frustrated I was with some of these problems, but was able to find a way thru. I like the method of teaching and exercises. It has helped me continue on the python path. Thanks to the instructors for a job well done. I signed up for their continuation python course.

By Chet I

Jun 8, 2018

Overall a really good course. The teachers speak clearly, the quiz and assignments are fair which keep you engaged. The sounds quality could be better and some topics could be explained a little bit further but since this is the part 1, I assume that the finer details will be taught in part 2.

Looking forward to it !

By Djaber B

Apr 26, 2017

As a beginner, I found this course helpful. The approach of teaching is quite good, I also like the assignment which is often the part of a complete and meaningful program. But, I think plotting in python is missed in this course, which is equally important to other sub-course

By Aishwarya R

Aug 29, 2020

This course is quite suitable for people who have no prior knowledge of python at all, overall experience was quite good. But I feel like the programming tutorials could have been taught in steps rather (like the one in week 6 - developing a program) than just in one video.

By Leandro B

Jan 8, 2018

Well thought and very clear. The only reason I don't give the 5th star is because if you make a mistake in an assignment it does not tell you what the mistake was.

It would be nice to discover, once the exam is passed, which were the things people got wrong.

By Corey K

Apr 27, 2018

Very good and clear introduction with limited practice included. Could use more challenging practice problems, but honestly, if you want to learn to program you'll have to play around with your code; don't expect to learn just by listening to lectures.

By Luis

Jun 18, 2020

Thank you Jennifer, Paul and Patrick for share your knowledge with us. This is a very good course to start with Python programming. This gives you an overview of Python syntax, loops and basic concepts needed to build up our programming skills.

By Marko V

May 3, 2020

Great study material, I was really happy with what I learned. However, I do not think it was the very basics of Python programming; I had to learn the basics elsewhere before completing this course, but I still found Coursera extremely helpful!

By Bennett J

Apr 2, 2019

Decent class where I was able to learn the fundamentals of programming. While I'm certainly not ready to build anything complex and I at least know a whole bunch more than I did when I started. Pretty easy to follow throughout all weeks.

By Samir M

Oct 12, 2018

i liked the course, i think more practice would of been good and i felt sometimes some things were shown in the end tutorials and questions that we never went over in the course. I would say it has been a good intro to python though.

By reagan s

May 2, 2018

This is my first time to try python and It is a good course on computer language python for beginners. Mentors are very helpful and lectures and assignments of this course are made in way to make the basics clear (as done with me).

By Rod M

Feb 6, 2019

Course content is excellent and topics covered clearly and concisely. The quiz pages, however, are ridiculously flakey. All it takes is a loose mouse click to turn what would otherwise be a correct answer into an incorrect one!

By Pedro M A

Its a really nice way to start to get familiar with python. The dynamic of the course is nice since you can work in IDLE together with the videos. Although i think it would be nice to have more practical examples and tutorials

By John P

May 14, 2020

A well structured and informative course overall. Sometimes the instructors tend to assume knowledge or understanding that hasn't been explicitly mentioned yet, so at times it's easy to lose track or backtracking is necessary.

By Dickson A d S

May 18, 2018

A good introduction to Python, specially to those with no programming experience as is the goal of the course. For more experienced programmers, it might be too easy since it's not intended to go deep in advanced aspects.