Back to Learn to Program: The Fundamentals

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Learn to Program: The Fundamentals by University of Toronto

Behind every mouse click and touch-screen tap, there is a computer program that makes things happen. This course introduces the fundamental building blocks of programming and teaches you how to write fun and useful programs using the Python language....

HA
Aug 17, 2019

Great for a fundamental course. I have to admit that I had learnt python a few years back and was using this as a practice and revision course. But I learnt a lot more which I can add to my knowledge.

CV
Nov 16, 2017

This is a introductory course i would recommend. I especially liked that the instructors took the time to go through the python visualizer and try to unveil some of the background workings in python.

101 - 125 of 1,391 Reviews for Learn to Program: The Fundamentals

By Abhishek S

Jun 23, 2017

This is an excellent course for anyone who is learning to program for the first time. Also, for people with some background in other programming language (as in my case) this course helps to get quickly started with python.

Lectures and quizzes were engaging. I thank Coursera & University of Toronto for offering such a beautiful course.

By Theodore F

Nov 2, 2018

Really enjoyable course. I had no programming experience in any language, and I felt comfortable with the pace and rigor of the assignments. Instruction was clear and the mentor in the forum was very responsive. If you're looking for a primer in Python that will prepare you to develop your skills via practice, you're in the right place.

By Ryan E

Aug 12, 2017

The course does a good job of covering a lot of the fundamentals of computer science without getting stuck spending too much time on a particular language's quirks. I also liked that it focused on *actual* fundamentals like variables, control flow and data structures, and not on secondary things like formatted printing and input/output.

By Elena T

Jul 29, 2017

Oh I just llllove it! So difficult during the last three weeks (opening files and Assignment 3), but if you keep going, you'll finally make it. Unbelievable!

Thanks a lot! The course is organised really well: one has an opportunity to practise while learning theory and solve interesting challenges in weekly quizzes and the 3 assignments.

By Aniruddh D N G

May 8, 2017

Excellent course to start with Python, would certainly recommend this course to fellow coders. This is my first mooc and coursera made it very simple for a starter like me. Can't really decide on the ambiguity of the importance given to certification of this course in real-time, I'll consider buying in the yet to come courses to learn.

By Soumyadip D

Jul 25, 2020

A great course for beginners. Compared to other python courses this is a compact course with just the right amount of topics. Would have been better if more assignments were present compared to quizzes. You may keep an introductory python book in handy to bring out the best of this course. All in all, it was fun doing this course.

By Annica B

Dec 16, 2018

Fantastic introduction to basic programming materials. Some of the test material was a little difficult as it wasn't covered in the course, but the ability to test and solve problems utilizing the Python Visualizer and the Python shell prompted good problem solving practice. I would definitely recommend this course to my friends!!

By Thomas S

Dec 7, 2016

Great course for someone coming from unrelated languages. Some of the pacing seems off (some sections expect you to learn fast, while some seem easy) but it's a really great course for learning some Python basics. You can easily do work on desktop text files by the end of this, which actually helps me at home and on the job.

By Gabrielė P

Mar 26, 2020

The course is great for absolute beginners as it considerately explains the basics and provides lots of examples. The tutors are experienced and very competent, do not skip even sometimes obvious elements in order to create a logical sequence of actions. The resources are provided and the projects are quite entertaining.

By Nadia C

Oct 19, 2019

A Fantastically Designed online course that keeps you actively engaged with quizzes and assignments. I found myself finish the course much faster than expected just because I was excited to move forward to the next step and felt like I was grasping the information much faster than through other mediums. Highly suggested!

By Krzysztof P

Aug 20, 2018

Very good course. Knowledge is packed into nice lessons, lecturers know how to explain everything very easily - step by step. Tests and assignments are challenging (as for me) but gives a lot of sattisfaction when completed. I would definitely recommend this course for people who want to understand basics of programming.

By Yücel K

May 26, 2019

This course really teaches to the student what is included in course. It is hard as it should be, not overwhelming and not easy so it is at the perfect balance especially. Though do not have any programming background, only have maths, statistics and economics background. I would advice the course for beginners like me.

By George

Dec 9, 2017

One of the few course that kept me interested all along the 7 weeks. It is indeed introductory but its structure is excellent for this purpose. The quizzes, tests and assignments help you learn and understand what you can not apprehend form the lectures. I would recommend it to everyone who wants to start with Python.

By Nabeel H

May 26, 2017

Great beginners introduction to programming in Python. The professors have great lectures and notes and really do a great job of teaching students good practice. The quizzes can be challenging and the programming assignments are practical. I would recommend this course to anyone that is trying to learn how to program!

By Richard N

Jun 16, 2019

Easy to understand introduction to Python. I've tried a few different books and platforms as an introduction to Python and this is the best by far. They explain how Python steps through the code as it's executed, which is often not explained by others, and help you understand it from the CS side as well. Well done!

By Sixbert P M

Feb 12, 2017

I feel like I have learned a lot. Now I am ready to begin writing programs. I would recommend, however, that programming exercises in which one writes entire programs should be added to the courses. Maybe not as requirements, but as optional assignments. Overall, however, the course is very useful and informative.

By Marius D

I find this course exciting and challenging. I expected just another python introductory course but the material and teachers are above the expectations. Actually this course is more about the basics of programming than python itself, one can apply the same principles presented here to any programming language.

By Matthew S

Mar 10, 2018

I learned quite a few new things from this course, such as calling functions inside functions during a control flow statement, especially in the last assignment. This will seriously help me in the future as I continue to learn programming. As an IT professional in networking, I was very happy with this course.

By Giannis R

Feb 1, 2018

The instructors are very good at explaining these fundamental concepts of programming. There are a lot of examples, and exercises so you can practice. I also love the fact that they emphasize good practices like function docstrings and commenting your code from the get-go. Whole heartedly recommend this course!

By LCL

Dec 31, 2018

Not too hard but not too easy. Just enough challenge. For a fundamental course touching on memory address I think that's impressive. I would suggest course title with the word Python in it. Learn to Program in Python: The Fundamentals. There is no shame in letting people know you are teaching Python.

By Ville T

Jun 1, 2018

Very intuitive course! The course material answers even the slightest issues I had during the course. It felt a bit challenging for non-skilled programmer although the assignments were very well explained and that helped a lot. Moreover, I learned to assess the problem and organize it into smaller pieces.

By Xinru C

Aug 21, 2017

Awesome course! As someone with little experience with programming, I feel a lot more confident after completing the course.

The instructors have a clear and approachable teaching style, and the discussion forum mentors are also great and give feedback quickly. The in-video quizzes are especially helpful.

By Peter M

May 22, 2017

This is a great, step-by-step introduction to Python. You may feel like you're moving slowly, but you move slow to move fast. The professors are thorough and pleasant. There's a lot to take in if you're new to programming, so be patient with them and yourself! You're literally learning a new way to speak!

By eduardo v

Apr 27, 2020

The whole course was very exciting , it was my first time programming with python , and i have to say that at sometimes i found myself in very challenging situations where i had to do research and find solutions to the given problems, also i have to thank the mentors for their support .

Gracias totales!

By Mfonido G

Jan 31, 2019

The Instructors are passionate and down to earth, they explain concepts in an easy to grasp format for Python beginners. The quizzes and assignments really help you synthesize and internalize the main concepts of the course. I highly recommend this course to anyone with an interest in Python programming.