Back to Learn to Program: The Fundamentals

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Learn to Program: The Fundamentals by University of Toronto

Behind every mouse click and touch-screen tap, there is a computer program that makes things happen. This course introduces the fundamental building blocks of programming and teaches you how to write fun and useful programs using the Python language....

HA
Aug 17, 2019

Great for a fundamental course. I have to admit that I had learnt python a few years back and was using this as a practice and revision course. But I learnt a lot more which I can add to my knowledge.

CV
Nov 16, 2017

This is a introductory course i would recommend. I especially liked that the instructors took the time to go through the python visualizer and try to unveil some of the background workings in python.

126 - 150 of 1,399 Reviews for Learn to Program: The Fundamentals

By Mfonido G

Jan 31, 2019

The Instructors are passionate and down to earth, they explain concepts in an easy to grasp format for Python beginners. The quizzes and assignments really help you synthesize and internalize the main concepts of the course. I highly recommend this course to anyone with an interest in Python programming.

By Skylar F

Jan 30, 2019

This course was very thorough and detailed enough that I felt comfortable with each topic by the end of the week. The assignments were challenging enough to be engaging, while still being appropriate to the level of knowledge. The forums were incredibly useful as well. Overall a very enjoyable course.

By JOSEPH A

Jun 8, 2018

Coming from a non-CS, non-Engineering background, this course took me much longer than I'd hoped. Nevertheless I'm glad I stuck with it. My Pythonic skills are so much better for it. It's satisfying to be able to go back and easily solve previously difficult problems. Highly recommended for beginners.

By TuJun

Jun 12, 2017

It's a great course. As a learner, we need to be patient. Some parts of the course seem tedious, but that's great for further familiarizing Python. Especially some trivial things teachers emphasized repeatedly would help you avoid a lot of problems when you start writing programs for practical usage.

By Jongcheon W

Apr 11, 2020

It's an excellent programming course for a beginner. Questions and homework can check your understanding. For reference, this course covers the half of the book "Practical Programming 3rd ed.". Though you don't have to buy the book for this course, it will help you to understand the Python language.

By Bobby G

Oct 4, 2017

I think this course is perfect for beginners in python / programming in general. In my opinion, it focused on the right things (understanding the basics like how python stores variables, executes loops, etc.) and the content was a great way to get up to speed on the basics of python pretty quickly.

By Jawad A

Jul 29, 2020

This is a tough beginner's course, it forces you to dig deep. It offers much more than what is to expected from a comparable Udemy/edx/etc course. If you are reading this while searching for 'THE PERFECT PYTHON BEGINNERS COURSE' drop everything else, start this one right now and don't look back.

By Jacob K

A great introduction to Python. Having previously learned VB in school this was a great way to get back into programming and learning all the new syntax. The course does not hold your hand too much but the lecturers are great and explain things in great detail - looking forward to starting LTP2

By Aditi S D

An efficient course for beginners. Got to learn python very easily and I'm happy that I could program to prepare a game of my own. And that stack frame part was awesome; One who had no information about programming would otherwise never understand what goes on inside after we type the program.

By Priyati S

Aug 9, 2017

This course was very informative for me. I had not had any previous experience in coding, and decided to try it out. This course was well-taught and I now have basic knowledge of how to write code in Python. I now have an interest for programming, and will likely continue coding in the future.

By Aarón A P

Jan 15, 2017

In my opinion, I've tried other courses that teach python but this is the by far 100/100. not only teach you about the language but also teaches you about things like memory and how a programming language works under the hood. My best recommendation if you are a beginner or an intermediate.

By Katie D

Jun 30, 2020

Comprehensive beginner friendly python course. Main plus to this course is how involved the mentor is on the discussion forum. You won't get stuck because someone has already asked your question and if they haven't, the mentor will answer quickly with just the right amount of feedback. :)

By Gustavo N

Mar 20, 2020

It is a great course. Although it was my fist approach to Python I already had experience as a programmer, that I think it is necessary to be successful in the course. It would be glad to know from the teacher the next milestone they recommend. Thanks Coursera for these excellent courses.

By Akshay K

It was a wonderful course. When I started the course I know nothing of python but now I am pretty good

at python. I learned from great instructors and I am proud of it.

Thank you all, instructors, mentor(@Patrick) and other classmates to help me during the course.

I am grateful to you guys.

By Julian W

Dec 7, 2019

Good explanation and a lot of well structure knowledge for absolute beginners. I tried learning programming for some time and this course finally made a difference for me.

Some tests are frustrating - You don't really know why you are failing and which parts of course you should redo.

By Subramanian V

Jul 24, 2020

The training material and trainers did an excellent job and they navigated through the course with ease. The sessions were good and some practices and quizzes made the course very interesting and challenging. For a person who does not know to code, this is a great program to start with.

By Rajdeep S

Jun 30, 2018

Extremely well balanced and insightful course that teaches the basics of python in a simple and effective way.The inclusion of assignments and in-lecture questions make the course interactive and appealing and the teachers have done a great job explaining the course content effectively.

By Anthony A

A very good starter course for someone that has never learnt any code, very progressive and well explained. I recommend strongly to code everything during the videos, to understand what you are seeing and get used to it. This will make the quizzs and assignments much easier afterwards.

By Wan Y S

Mar 30, 2020

Easy to follow lectures and comprehensive materials makes this course a good stepping stone to learning about the fundamentals of programming. The quizzes further reinforces the learning and assessments are interesting and provides insights on how programming is used in everyday life.

By 尹晓涵

Mar 20, 2018

I really enjoy the course. It helped me to solidify the fundamentals and helped to understand what I don't know before. Really thank you two teachers have explained everything so carefully and patiently. I will join the following courses if your college to learn the PYTHON.

Sincerely

By Jeremy C

Apr 5, 2020

I had started a number of other online Python courses before finding this one. The instructors, Jennifer and Paul, are fantastic. Their calm, clear explanation of fundamental python concepts kept me motivated and allowed me to finally finish an online course in Python. Thank you!

By Jens B S

May 1, 2017

I loved how the courses assumes no previous knowledge, and allows for a slow build of coding know how. I especially enjoyed the examples that I could code along with in IDLE. I don't pretend to understand coding after this course, however think that it is a could foundation for f

By Helen S

Aug 17, 2017

The use of demonstration and written instructions in the videos make the lessons very easy to follow. The quizzes in the lessons are very relevant. The tests and assignments make the learning more meaningful! This is by far the best instructional course for learning programming.

By Chew W S

Apr 28, 2017

I love this course for it addressed a lot of the basics which I am not fully able to handle all this while. Thanks to all the instructors, you all have done a great job in this course! The Final Exam is so challenging and it took me 3 times to pass the Final! Thank you so much!

By Lu

Aug 13, 2020

Excellent Course!! it's great for beginners, it contains very good explanations and the teachers are always answering the forums very quickly which is nice. A special thanks to them. The only thing I would add to this course is more practical exercises such as the assignments.