Back to Mathematics for Machine Learning: Linear Algebra

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Mathematics for Machine Learning: Linear Algebra by Imperial College London

In this course on Linear Algebra we look at what linear algebra is and how it relates to vectors and matrices. Then we look through what vectors and matrices are and how to work with them, including the knotty problem of eigenvalues and eigenvectors, and how to use these to solve problems. Finally we look at how to use these to do fun things with datasets - like how to rotate images of faces and how to extract eigenvectors to look at how the Pagerank algorithm works. Since we're aiming at data-driven applications, we'll be implementing some of these ideas in code, not just on pencil and paper. Towards the end of the course, you'll write code blocks and encounter Jupyter notebooks in Python, but don't worry, these will be quite short, focussed on the concepts, and will guide you through if you’ve not coded before. At the end of this course you will have an intuitive understanding of vectors and matrices that will help you bridge the gap into linear algebra problems, and how to apply these concepts to machine learning....

EC

Sep 10, 2019

Excellent review of Linear Algebra even for those who have taken it at school. Handwriting of the first instructor wasn't always legible, but wasn't too bad. Second instructor's handwriting is better.

PL

Aug 26, 2018

Great way to learn about applied Linear Algebra. Should be fairly easy if you have any background with linear algebra, but looks at concepts through the scope of geometric application, which is fresh.

101 - 125 of 1,619 Reviews for Mathematics for Machine Learning: Linear Algebra

By Thuy T N

Aug 07, 2020

This is my first encounter with Linear Algebra and surely the course has been extremely helpful beginner-friendly. I recommend investing in practical mathematics courses as this specialization if you are new to machine learning field. You will be equipped with enough math background and should feel confident to enter more technical machine learning/deep learning courses.

A truly fundamental stepping stone!

By Joseph F

Jun 20, 2019

This course is perfect for many including those, like myself, who haven't seen this for 20+ years. I can imagine that it would be helpful to have, at least, a proclivity towards programming if you do not have familiarity with a programming language (at least course comments tend to reflect this).

For those experienced with coding, no difficulty will be encountered, as focus here is trivial (numpy libs).

By Digeesh J

This course is good for everyone, as rather than diving deep in the paper pen model, the intuition is taught. For those who already know Linear Algebra, it is best to take this course to understand, what you are writing and what each formulae is doing. For those who dont know anything about Linear Algebra, but is interested in Machine Learning, do this course to atleast have the intuition behind it.

By Sertan A

Jul 12, 2020

It's a very fundamental necessity for getting a hold on vectors and functions within a big programs. I have finished Mr. David Dye's part and he is an extraordinary teacher! I know Mr. Samuel Cooper from the calculus course and I assume his course will be quite awesome as well!! Thank you for making this available for people who need to upgrade their understanding, I respect this global mission!!!

By Mohiddin S

May 01, 2020

I am very grateful to the in structures and the platform providers who designed the the course to enrich the knowledge of mathematics in good manor. From this course I learned a lot. Being a mathematician I feel that there is a need to change form traditional teaching to technological oriented teaching. This course helped me in finding such a path.

Thanking you

regards

Dr.Shaik Mohiddin Shaw

By Edisson O A C

Apr 29, 2020

Great course as a starter to understand the basis of linear algebra in machine learning. I had already taken a course of linear algebra as an undergrad but this course really opened my view of the applications and importance of some concepts I understood in a merely abstract way. The instructors are not only excellent in their explanations but you can also feel their interest for the subject.

By Lisa M

Apr 07, 2018

This was a fantastic course. I'm new to linear algebra, so it was bit intimidating even signing up (!) - but the lecturers were really, really good about explaining all concepts from the ground up so it was always possible to visualize and extrapolate from solid foundations. For me it was a stretch each week, but in a good way: very challenging, but achievable with enough planning and effort.

By Wasif S

Aug 03, 2020

This course for me was meant to be a habit-refiner but ended up being thinking of more into the depths of the world around. Very good course. The quiz & assignments are really good. Although some of the details are missing from particular sections, I think it will grow over time. As a Machine Learner's intro to perspective, this is really been a decent exercise to flex yourself. Goodluck.

By Ying T

Mar 09, 2018

An awesome course with high quality video lectures!! I will recommend this course to anyone who's looking for a refresher or quick pick-up on linear algebra. The homework's compatible with the materials and is quite interesting. The lecturer also did a good job on explaining critical concepts with easy but good examples. I'm looking forward to more similar courses from Imperial College.

By Jayant V

Mar 29, 2018

I have taken a course on linear algebra during my graduate program and must admit that it was not one of my more comfortable ones! Coming back to this course online, it really did help me get a much better understanding of concepts like dimensionality, basis, eigen values and eigen vectors. I intend to go over the lectures at least a few more times to be sure I have understood it well.

By SHOUNAK B

Jul 12, 2020

I personally loved this course as it changed my outlook and perspective towards Mathematics in computing and as a whole. I really enjoyed taking this course. It got me into some difficult assignments but the joy of solving it after lots of brainstorming and discussing with peers was awesome experience. I look forward towards developing myself and gaining knowledge with these courses.

By Stefan R

Apr 28, 2020

It is usefull and good course. It does require at least some familiarity with the concept or otherwise you will spend hours trying to understand how things happen, but lecturers have overall given great insights in how things work and tried to simpliify as much as possible.

Maybe would be usefull for course creator to add some optional basics tests on the topic, for total beginers.

By Huy M

Mar 11, 2019

I've only done half of the course but I already know this course is one of the best on Coursera! Complex concepts in mathematics are broken down into simple terms. The professor also clearly stated what those concepts are used for in practical, which certainly help learners have a clear idea of why they are learning this course. Very exciting every time I click onto new lessons!

By Hardik S

Jun 20, 2020

Not being from a Mathematics Background, one surely need best tutor I guess for understanding Mathematics that's required in Machine Learning/ Data Science. Both the tutor Sam Cooper and David Dye amazingly Explained the topics and I'm happy to have completed the Linear Algerbra Course and now moving towards other part of the course i.e Course 2 Multivariate Calculus.

By Ramon M T

Aug 20, 2019

Excellent Course, I remembered the linear algebra that I saw in school more than 26 years ago (I studied applied mathematics and switched to Actuaria), but now with examples related to DataScience.

As observation.

For someone who has not programmed in some language the exercises can be challenging, but they are always very intuitive if the example steps are performed.

By Badri A

May 01, 2020

At first, I was kinda of afraid of Math in general and Linear algebra in particular, but after taking this course, I am satisfied with it.

A special thanks to the instructors and all the people behind this course, for making thing simple and comprehensible, and at the same time, hit the target. Looking forward to keep learning and carry on with this specialization !

By Rhea B

This course was very informative . Having learnt to solve most of this problems by hand in under-graduation , this course helped me to code these hand-worked problems . Additionally I was able to understand and visualize what the problems actually do . I highly recommend this course for anyone who is looking to learn or advance their career in machine learning .

By Art P

Jun 08, 2018

This course was of high quality, was very helpful in explaining some key concepts and I appreciated the instructors energy and humor. My only complaint about the course is that some of the quizzes and homework assignments felt significantly more challenging than what was covered in the lessons; however, the discussion forums proved helpful in closing this gap.

By Sridhanajayan S

This is an exceptional course for learning Linear Algebra in an intuitive way. i would recommend this course to everyone who is fond of mathematics. This course will also have programming assignments with python and numpy packages. Overall I had a wonderful experience and a handful of knowledge. Thank you for the course creators and professors and lecturers.

By Ollie D

Jul 09, 2020

For someone having already graduated with a degree in Mathematics, the mathematical concepts centred around this course were easy to understand, but then applying this knowledge in to code was challenging. Which I was expecting it to be given my lack of experience with python and jupyter notes. A worthwhile course for anyone looking in to data science.

By David P

Jul 10, 2018

Great content, lecture videos are brilliant. I would make one suggestion; it would be great to have more examples or even recommend text books that we as learners can download or purchase, this will assist those who wants to learn these techniques in practical examples. Other than that I have learned alot and will continue using coursera, good job guys

By Ahmed R

Apr 22, 2018

This is a very good introduction and review of Linear Algebra. The particular highlights are the use of geometric perspectives to give intuition rather than just labouring through the mathematics. I also learned where I need to learn more in order. Overall will recommend either as a review or a stepping stone to learning more about Linear Algebra.

By Kohinoor G

Apr 24, 2018

One of the best Linear Algebra [LA] courses for beginners/novices. It takes away the drudgery of algebra and formulae and tries to explain the "essence" of LA. This is by no means comprehensive LA course - but good enough for people who are fed up with "this is how to calculate the Eigen vector/determinant/<insert pet peeve>" mode of teaching LA.