Back to Machine Design Part I

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Machine Design Part I by Georgia Institute of Technology

“Machine Design Part I” is the first course in an in-depth three course series of “Machine Design.” The “Machine Design” Coursera series covers fundamental mechanical design topics, such as static and fatigue failure theories, the analysis of shafts, fasteners, and gears, and the design of mechanical systems such as gearboxes. Throughout this series of courses we will examine a number of exciting design case studies, including the material selection of a total hip implant, the design and testing of the wing on the 777 aircraft, and the impact of dynamic loads on the design of an bolted pressure vessel. In this first course, you will learn robust analysis techniques to predict and validate design performance and life. We will start by reviewing critical material properties in design, such as stress, strength, and the coefficient of thermal expansion. We then transition into static failure theories such as von Mises theory, which can be utilized to prevent failure in static loading applications such as the beams in bridges. Finally, we will learn fatigue failure criteria for designs with dynamic loads, such as the input shaft in the transmission of a car....

ZZ

Feb 17, 2017

The course was a concise and effective review of major concepts. The concepts were well explained and the lessons practical. I have a better understanding of fatigue failure as a result of this class.

SG

Jun 12, 2017

Thank you so much. I liked your teaching style.You gave me a clear understanding about each and every topic covered in this course.I enjoyed the learning.Hope we will be in touch for further courses.

51 - 75 of 312 Reviews for Machine Design Part I

By Zach

Feb 17, 2017

By kali v p

Aug 30, 2017

I would highly recommend this course for all Mechanical Design Engineers. It helps us how to approach Design calculations involved in designing Mechanical objects subjected to different kinds of loads.

By Theófilo M d N d S

Feb 18, 2020

I'm really grateful for the opportunity of learning from a high quality intitution and it's professors, i really wish to participate in the next mechanical design course. Tanks alot and best regards.

By SAURABH G

Jun 12, 2017

By Javier G

Feb 14, 2017

The course present a good explanation of the fundamentals of design in static and fatigue failure. Also the course is well organized with an easy explanation.

Looking forward for parts 2 and 3.

By DR. V B

Course is designed very well. One can learn many important aspects of machine design in a short span of time. Case studies included in the course are very informative and interesting.

By Dave G

Jan 24, 2018

Excellent course, very well presented. Based on techniques used in industry. Couldn't recommend this course enough! I hope Machine Design Part II & III comes along in the near future.

By LUIS F

Apr 08, 2020

It is a great course, you really need to have a great knowledge about the mechanics of materials to better understand the concepts, but you can do it if you have the basic knowledge

By Tejas B

Feb 26, 2019

Loved this course. Very informative and challenging. This course taught me concepts that are usually avoided in my collegeand the ssignments enabled me to get my fundamentals clear.

By Ángel H G

Oct 16, 2018

It is easy to follow the lectures. The didactic content is well organized and the problems during the lectures help to understand and internalise the concepts previously explained.

By Ayush N

Mar 16, 2020

This course was extremely good as my basics were weak and this course helped me to build it up from the foundation. I learned about a lot of new things and in a very calm manner.

By Satnam S

Apr 26, 2020

It is good course for under graduate students and explains the static and dynamic loading in an excellent way. I wish to thank the instructor Dr. Kathryn Wingate for her efforts.

By Muhammad Z N B

May 07, 2020

Enjoyable course. The case studies really helped a lot in understanding real life situations and applications. Waiting for Machine Design part 2 and part 3 from the instructor.

By vinay s

Mar 19, 2017

This course is both intensive and challenging. Dr. Wingate does a fantastic job with real life examples and explaining subtle points that will help get ahead in the weekly quiz.

By Bryan J

Jul 28, 2017

Great review for degreed ME that has not worked in this particular field since college. I would like to see more courses from Dr. Wingate-both in other areas and more advanced.

By Rohan S

May 06, 2017

This course was very fruitful for me. The teacher presented the study material in an exciting and orderly manner. I thank Georgia Tech, and Dr. Kathryn Wingate for this course.

By Luis M M G

Apr 25, 2018

Wonderfull course! Very instructive and well paced knowledge that is shown in this course. For me this is the beginning of a long journey in mechanical design. Thanks a lot!

By Aditya K

Mar 22, 2019

Course material is well organized. Real case analysis is perfectly solved. A lot to learn. Overall very good course for Industry and Students both.

Thank you Prof. Kate W.

By Madhur

Mar 25, 2019

It was wonderful course and really cleared most of the doubts which were there. The course was very much effectively presented and the assignments were of good level.

By vernon

Apr 14, 2020

Excellent work by Dr.Kathryn Wingate. This course has been very well planned and methodically executed. Challenging Quiz's and great examples. Hoping to learn more!

By Xin S

Feb 15, 2018

Great course! I learned a lot of examples, and this course help me to make some concepts clear. It's very useful. It will help me to calculate when I am working.

By Rishabh S

Jun 28, 2017

Excellent course for machine design. and the students who are learning machine design in there undergraduates. Yet more topic need to be cover in machine design.

By BHARATH M N

Feb 17, 2020

Thank you, madam, for your valuable lectures throughout the course. I thoroughly enjoyed the course and I would like to recommend this course to my fellow mates

By Ralish R

Apr 05, 2018

The course content and the lecture delivery was really exceptional. Also the questions cover real world situations which made the course even more beautiful.

By JONNALA S R

May 07, 2020

Excellent teaching by Professor. Analysis is quite good. Design seems to be a difficult subject but he made the things easy. Thank you very much Professor.