Back to Machine Design Part I

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Machine Design Part I by Georgia Institute of Technology

“Machine Design Part I” is the first course in an in-depth three course series of “Machine Design.” The “Machine Design” Coursera series covers fundamental mechanical design topics, such as static and fatigue failure theories, the analysis of shafts, fasteners, and gears, and the design of mechanical systems such as gearboxes. Throughout this series of courses we will examine a number of exciting design case studies, including the material selection of a total hip implant, the design and testing of the wing on the 777 aircraft, and the impact of dynamic loads on the design of an bolted pressure vessel. In this first course, you will learn robust analysis techniques to predict and validate design performance and life. We will start by reviewing critical material properties in design, such as stress, strength, and the coefficient of thermal expansion. We then transition into static failure theories such as von Mises theory, which can be utilized to prevent failure in static loading applications such as the beams in bridges. Finally, we will learn fatigue failure criteria for designs with dynamic loads, such as the input shaft in the transmission of a car....

ZZ

Feb 17, 2017

The course was a concise and effective review of major concepts. The concepts were well explained and the lessons practical. I have a better understanding of fatigue failure as a result of this class.

SG

Jun 12, 2017

Thank you so much. I liked your teaching style.You gave me a clear understanding about each and every topic covered in this course.I enjoyed the learning.Hope we will be in touch for further courses.

51 - 75 of 219 Reviews for Machine Design Part I

By Tamas S

May 15, 2017

It was fantastic, easy to understand, I am waiting for Part II. Thank you very much!

By Rob I

Jun 11, 2017

Excellent course. Well taught and presented, I very much like the format. It would be good to get course notes rather than taking screenshots. I would also prefer if the answers given were exact and not rounded as this has confused me throughout. Thanks very much.

By Logan P T

Jun 16, 2017

Love mechanics!

By Luis C P O

Nov 14, 2017

Exelent curse.

By Carlos Q

Mar 15, 2018

Great explanations! more clear than in my time in the university. The worksheets and exercises are very challenging. I have learn a lot of things.

By Angel M V

Jun 15, 2018

Was a very good course 100% recomendable, Excellent Teacher, with very good knowledge about of Design

By rahmi

Feb 09, 2018

The Machine Design Part I covers a huge amount of basic concepts/theories in a short time.It was very useful to get a clear understanding of engineering design. Dr. Kathryn Wingate used a clear language and I appreciate her. I am looking forward to MD Part II. :)

By Pedro G

Feb 23, 2018

Excellent course. I would really recommend it for all engineers. I am already doing it.

By Widmore Y

Aug 18, 2017

It is the first course.I think it is very good and easy to understand ,thanks.

By venkateshwaran

Aug 28, 2017

thanks for the lecture. awesome

By sumit s

Nov 28, 2017

one time study video's

not only knowledge about the subject but also provide learning towards the deep knowledge about subject environment's

By Ahmed E S

Feb 09, 2018

Very well explained and a great course for anyone wanting to start of with the basics of failure analysis. Thank you so much for this brilliant course.

By Pradeep A B

Jul 24, 2017

Great introductory course, thanks!

By MOHD J

Oct 08, 2017

excelent

By Kushal P

Apr 15, 2018

Great for brushing up and solidifying the basics of machine design. Waiting for part II of the course.

By RAVICHANDRA

Feb 18, 2018

i enjoyed being the part of this course. dr wingate explained the fundamentals in very clear format. the case studies in the course brought some more interest towards the subject. planning to take some more courses form coursera.

By Ramajigalu M P

Feb 18, 2018

I brushed up my basics by taking this course. Dr.Wingate's teaching was to the point. It was easy to understand. The quiz made me to apply the my theoretical knowledge to solve problems. Case study made us relate the theoretical problems to the real life problems.

By Shouvik B

Jun 30, 2018

Concepts were nicely touched upon. The course material really helped me to get an in depth understanding of the fundamentals of machine design at an introductory level. Th quizzes were exciting and helpful too. THANKS COURSERA AND DR. WINGATE.

By kevin s

Feb 14, 2017

Excellent course for recap all the considerations about failures types, given to you real world examples. Higly recommended, very thankful.

By Dhruvil P

Jul 31, 2017

This course really help me to enhance my knowledge about machine design and material selection. I hope this course is beneficially to all those who are pursuing their graduation in technical field especially for mechanical engineers.

By Swagath

Feb 12, 2017

Thanks

By Rohan S

May 06, 2017

This course was very fruitful for me. The teacher presented the study material in an exciting and orderly manner. I thank Georgia Tech, and Dr. Kathryn Wingate for this course.

By Gadhave R R

May 20, 2017

very nice course

all the concepts are explained very well.

example given are very instresting.

By Anuj N