Back to Machine Design Part I

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Machine Design Part I by Georgia Institute of Technology

“Machine Design Part I” is the first course in an in-depth three course series of “Machine Design.” The “Machine Design” Coursera series covers fundamental mechanical design topics, such as static and fatigue failure theories, the analysis of shafts, fasteners, and gears, and the design of mechanical systems such as gearboxes. Throughout this series of courses we will examine a number of exciting design case studies, including the material selection of a total hip implant, the design and testing of the wing on the 777 aircraft, and the impact of dynamic loads on the design of an bolted pressure vessel. In this first course, you will learn robust analysis techniques to predict and validate design performance and life. We will start by reviewing critical material properties in design, such as stress, strength, and the coefficient of thermal expansion. We then transition into static failure theories such as von Mises theory, which can be utilized to prevent failure in static loading applications such as the beams in bridges. Finally, we will learn fatigue failure criteria for designs with dynamic loads, such as the input shaft in the transmission of a car....

ZZ

Feb 17, 2017

The course was a concise and effective review of major concepts. The concepts were well explained and the lessons practical. I have a better understanding of fatigue failure as a result of this class.

SG

Jun 12, 2017

Thank you so much. I liked your teaching style.You gave me a clear understanding about each and every topic covered in this course.I enjoyed the learning.Hope we will be in touch for further courses.

76 - 100 of 228 Reviews for Machine Design Part I

By Tuğberk Ç

Jan 17, 2017

Absolutely amazing.

By Marco I

Mar 20, 2017

nice course,

topics are presentend efficiently and stimulating excercises help putting theory in practice in a funny way!

By yashar k s

Aug 04, 2017

Best Course

By MOHD. F

Dec 16, 2016

Excellent course!

By Ángel A B

Jan 21, 2017

Great course that reviews different faliure modes of mechanical components, from static failure of ductile and brittle materials to fatigue failure. The practical approach to the subject provides a very useful toolset for the design of machine components.

By Bhavik P

Dec 04, 2016

thank you teacher for such a easiest explanation...

By Eduardo d M R

Apr 26, 2017

Very good course for beginners. Explanations are short and concise and very clear. Don't know how Part 2 is organized, but I think it would be nice to have also an introduction to CAD/CAE softwares like Inventor or SOLIDWORKS and to solve some of the examples with those softwares so people is aware of the existing numerical possibilities.

By Franco A

Jun 15, 2017

I appreciate very much the clarity of the explanation and the usefulness of the examples and of the exercizes.

By GAURAV K

Jun 17, 2017

A very good introductory course in Machine Design, interesting with lots of real life example and questions.

By Abdel-Rahman H

Apr 18, 2017

Literally, It's one of the best courses i have ever taken. I have learned through out this course how to be precise and accurate in my calculation and the attention to details. The instructor is amazing and i really have learned a lot from her. However, her exams are not easy :) !

By Zhiyuan D

Jul 08, 2017

Good course! Now looking for the second part

By Reza F

Dec 12, 2016

Great course. Thanks Dr. Wingate. Waiting for the part 2.

By Amir G

Feb 10, 2017

very good

By Roshan S

Jan 21, 2017

This course is so useful, complete all basic concept and i like it!

By SAURABH G

Jun 12, 2017

By moubachir y

Feb 10, 2017

very good course

By Santiago F H W

Apr 16, 2017

First, I'm really thankful with your for this effort for with us. This course is really interesting, is the first course I finished. I'm mechanical engineering from Perú, I really excited with all these topics, they are great for all engineer. I recommend this course with Doctor K. Wingate, and I know that you enjoy it.

By Mauro C

Jan 16, 2017

Syllabus very well organized. Professor is completely aware of the subjected being taught.

By Saravanan S

May 20, 2018

Amazing lecture!!

By Sahib S M

Sep 17, 2017

Dear Dr. Wingate, I thoroughly enjoyed this course as well as your method of teaching. I learnt a lot by completing this course and will be enthusiastically waiting for its next parts. Thanks a lot mam for this wonderful learning.

By Howard R

May 28, 2017

Awesome!

By Ariel V A

Mar 22, 2017

Excellent course, I'm waiting for the Part 2...

By kali v p

Aug 30, 2017

I would highly recommend this course for all Mechanical Design Engineers. It helps us how to approach Design calculations involved in designing Mechanical objects subjected to different kinds of loads.

By Michael H

Dec 03, 2017

Very good! 100% enthusiasm to forward Part II!

By Bhavik

Jun 27, 2017

It was a very good course.Main thing is that it can be improved by going through the derivations of the various theory in order to understand its applications and limitations better.I hope to take part in Machine Design Part 2