Back to Machine Design Part I

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Machine Design Part I by Georgia Institute of Technology

“Machine Design Part I” is the first course in an in-depth three course series of “Machine Design.” The “Machine Design” Coursera series covers fundamental mechanical design topics, such as static and fatigue failure theories, the analysis of shafts, fasteners, and gears, and the design of mechanical systems such as gearboxes. Throughout this series of courses we will examine a number of exciting design case studies, including the material selection of a total hip implant, the design and testing of the wing on the 777 aircraft, and the impact of dynamic loads on the design of an bolted pressure vessel. In this first course, you will learn robust analysis techniques to predict and validate design performance and life. We will start by reviewing critical material properties in design, such as stress, strength, and the coefficient of thermal expansion. We then transition into static failure theories such as von Mises theory, which can be utilized to prevent failure in static loading applications such as the beams in bridges. Finally, we will learn fatigue failure criteria for designs with dynamic loads, such as the input shaft in the transmission of a car....

ZZ

Feb 17, 2017

The course was a concise and effective review of major concepts. The concepts were well explained and the lessons practical. I have a better understanding of fatigue failure as a result of this class.

SG

Jun 12, 2017

Thank you so much. I liked your teaching style.You gave me a clear understanding about each and every topic covered in this course.I enjoyed the learning.Hope we will be in touch for further courses.

76 - 100 of 314 Reviews for Machine Design Part I

By Sri V B

May 29, 2019

The case studies were very much useful for better understanding of the concepts. They were very relevant to the concepts. The assignments were also good.

By Aman k

Oct 15, 2017

The way the Course was thought with all the real world examples was really very nice. The methods that we were thought to solve the problem were very good.

By Dr. S K K

Thank you Dr. Kathryn Wingate, design concepts are well explained and made to work through well designed work sheets and quiz problems. Excellent course.

By Ahmed E S

Feb 09, 2018

Very well explained and a great course for anyone wanting to start of with the basics of failure analysis. Thank you so much for this brilliant course.

By Vaibhav S

Sep 01, 2017

By Alessandro G

May 04, 2020

I appreciate this course of machine design. it's well done and the teacher give good explanations. I would like to do the second part of this course!

By Carlos Q

Mar 15, 2018

Great explanations! more clear than in my time in the university. The worksheets and exercises are very challenging. I have learn a lot of things.

By José M M G

May 28, 2017

This is a very dynamic and easily followable curse that allows you to review quickly the basis of the machine design. I´m really satisfied with it

By Taninki v v k

Apr 15, 2017

These course gave me brief idea about the machine design.And the teaching is great.I hope these is best place for learning and gaining knowledge.

By Prasad B S

Apr 26, 2020

The course is very nicely structured in the design perspective . Thank you Dr. Kathryn Wingate , Thank you Coursera for offering the course.

By Nivedita T

Apr 15, 2020

The course was very useful and and exposed to problem solving techniques and approach. with a perfect speed Dr. Winget explained every concept.

By sumit s

Nov 28, 2017

one time study video's

not only knowledge about the subject but also provide learning towards the deep knowledge about subject environment's

By Sari M

Dec 21, 2018

Easy to follow and well structured course on machine design. Great as a refresher course or a supplementary to standard university courses.

By kevin s

Feb 14, 2017

Excellent course for recap all the considerations about failures types, given to you real world examples. Higly recommended, very thankful.

By Hrishikesh G

Very smartly designed, intriguing but simple course. Looking forward for another courses related to mechanical engineering. Thanks a lot.

By Shivam P

Mar 06, 2019

really good synchronization..... i will consider this as good crash course of machine design to align all concepts together. Thank you:)

By AAKASH M

May 11, 2019

it was a great learning experience for me attending machine design part-1 course here on coursera.

it's a great platform to learning.

By Muhammad S K

Jan 07, 2020

This course was really great for me. I learned a lot about the basic of Machine design and looking for to contribute in part 2 & 3

By Sacha P N A R

Sep 21, 2017

Very good course material. Recommend it to every Mechanical Engineer who has several years of work experience as a refresh course.

By Nagaraj E

Apr 29, 2020

Its really, very good course. Example problems and quiz questions were comprehensive in approach. Looking for machine design 2.

By srinivas k

Useful course for Mechanical engineering graduates. Course is very well organized in a lucid manner for easy understanding.

By Jagatheaswaran S

Apr 24, 2020

Amazing content and interative teaching methods. The explanation of the concepts and problems were very easy to understand.

By Alexander T

Jan 11, 2017

Very good course covering technics that are actually used in aerospace industry. I look forward to seeing the second part.

By Brian M

Mar 05, 2019

The modules were thourough, well organized, and easy to follow. The professor was very good at explaining the concepts.

By Omar A M O

Jan 19, 2019

One of the best professors I have ever had. Clear explanations, covering so much in such a short time, very effectively.