Back to Machine Design Part I

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Machine Design Part I by Georgia Institute of Technology

“Machine Design Part I” is the first course in an in-depth three course series of “Machine Design.” The “Machine Design” Coursera series covers fundamental mechanical design topics, such as static and fatigue failure theories, the analysis of shafts, fasteners, and gears, and the design of mechanical systems such as gearboxes. Throughout this series of courses we will examine a number of exciting design case studies, including the material selection of a total hip implant, the design and testing of the wing on the 777 aircraft, and the impact of dynamic loads on the design of an bolted pressure vessel. In this first course, you will learn robust analysis techniques to predict and validate design performance and life. We will start by reviewing critical material properties in design, such as stress, strength, and the coefficient of thermal expansion. We then transition into static failure theories such as von Mises theory, which can be utilized to prevent failure in static loading applications such as the beams in bridges. Finally, we will learn fatigue failure criteria for designs with dynamic loads, such as the input shaft in the transmission of a car....

ZZ

Feb 17, 2017

The course was a concise and effective review of major concepts. The concepts were well explained and the lessons practical. I have a better understanding of fatigue failure as a result of this class.

SG

Jun 12, 2017

Thank you so much. I liked your teaching style.You gave me a clear understanding about each and every topic covered in this course.I enjoyed the learning.Hope we will be in touch for further courses.

101 - 125 of 219 Reviews for Machine Design Part I

By GAURAW K

Nov 28, 2016

Very interesting and organised. I developed love for this subject.

By Pradeep A B

Jul 24, 2017

Great introductory course, thanks!

By MOHD J

Oct 08, 2017

excelent

By Kushal P

Apr 15, 2018

Great for brushing up and solidifying the basics of machine design. Waiting for part II of the course.

By RAVICHANDRA

Feb 18, 2018

i enjoyed being the part of this course. dr wingate explained the fundamentals in very clear format. the case studies in the course brought some more interest towards the subject. planning to take some more courses form coursera.

By Ramajigalu M P

Feb 18, 2018

I brushed up my basics by taking this course. Dr.Wingate's teaching was to the point. It was easy to understand. The quiz made me to apply the my theoretical knowledge to solve problems. Case study made us relate the theoretical problems to the real life problems.

By Zach

Feb 17, 2017

By Neeraj K

Mar 11, 2017

very good

By Tamas S

May 15, 2017

It was fantastic, easy to understand, I am waiting for Part II. Thank you very much!

By Rob I

Jun 11, 2017

Excellent course. Well taught and presented, I very much like the format. It would be good to get course notes rather than taking screenshots. I would also prefer if the answers given were exact and not rounded as this has confused me throughout. Thanks very much.

By Luis C P O

Nov 14, 2017

Exelent curse.

By Carlos Q

Mar 15, 2018

Great explanations! more clear than in my time in the university. The worksheets and exercises are very challenging. I have learn a lot of things.

By Michael W

Apr 01, 2018

I took this course to fulfill P.E. education requirements. I found that the level of detail and pace was well targeted for a practicing engineer. Without spending significant time on derivations, concepts were explained and reviewed with mathematical rigor such that they could be applied immediately on the job. I'd recommend to any engineer looking for a review of stress analysis which can be practically applied in a short amount of time.

By Sacha P N A R

Sep 21, 2017

Very good course material. Recommend it to every Mechanical Engineer who has several years of work experience as a refresh course.

By Adithya B

Jan 22, 2017

The course material was pretty good and the course was quite challenging.

By Angel M V

Jun 15, 2018

Was a very good course 100% recomendable, Excellent Teacher, with very good knowledge about of Design

By Pedro G

Feb 23, 2018

Excellent course. I would really recommend it for all engineers. I am already doing it.

By Widmore Y

Aug 18, 2017

It is the first course.I think it is very good and easy to understand ,thanks.

By Luis M M G

Apr 25, 2018

Wonderfull course! Very instructive and well paced knowledge that is shown in this course. For me this is the beginning of a long journey in mechanical design. Thanks a lot!

By akshay

Apr 05, 2017

Awesome Lectures.

Thank you!!!!!!1

By Vaibhav S

Sep 01, 2017

Very well explained and a great course for anyone wanting to start of with the basics of failure analysis. Thank you so much for this brilliant course.

By Jeong S H

Jul 05, 2018

Very good machine design course to summarize what we have learned in our undergraduate!

By Morales E

Jun 09, 2018

This is one of the best Machine Design Courses that I've ever taken, The professor is very professional and I've learnt more than my university course. I'm very excited and I'll wait for the 3rd and 2nd parts, Thanks a lot of!!

By Oscar F M

Feb 20, 2017

Dr. Kathryn Wingate provides a thorough explanation. The course is very interesting! The practice of making entire video in form of notes is very efficient for a student to grasp everything the teacher wants to convey.