Back to Machine Design Part I

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Machine Design Part I by Georgia Institute of Technology

“Machine Design Part I” is the first course in an in-depth three course series of “Machine Design.” The “Machine Design” Coursera series covers fundamental mechanical design topics, such as static and fatigue failure theories, the analysis of shafts, fasteners, and gears, and the design of mechanical systems such as gearboxes. Throughout this series of courses we will examine a number of exciting design case studies, including the material selection of a total hip implant, the design and testing of the wing on the 777 aircraft, and the impact of dynamic loads on the design of an bolted pressure vessel. In this first course, you will learn robust analysis techniques to predict and validate design performance and life. We will start by reviewing critical material properties in design, such as stress, strength, and the coefficient of thermal expansion. We then transition into static failure theories such as von Mises theory, which can be utilized to prevent failure in static loading applications such as the beams in bridges. Finally, we will learn fatigue failure criteria for designs with dynamic loads, such as the input shaft in the transmission of a car....

ZZ

Feb 17, 2017

The course was a concise and effective review of major concepts. The concepts were well explained and the lessons practical. I have a better understanding of fatigue failure as a result of this class.

SG

Jun 12, 2017

Thank you so much. I liked your teaching style.You gave me a clear understanding about each and every topic covered in this course.I enjoyed the learning.Hope we will be in touch for further courses.

176 - 200 of 219 Reviews for Machine Design Part I

By Sri V B

May 29, 2019

The case studies were very much useful for better understanding of the concepts. They were very relevant to the concepts. The assignments were also good.

By Muhammad Z A

Jun 26, 2019

Excellent content and instructor explained everything in great detail

By Joylene H D

Jun 28, 2019

Great course. Helps brush up previous knowledge on Strength and Mechanics of materials. Although one thing id like them to improve is certain values being assumed in solving problems in worksheets for fatigue. Great course though. Waiting for Part 2 and 3.

By arpit k

Jul 10, 2019

it was really a great coarse,easy to understand

By manuel m r

WONDERFUL EXPERIENCE...

MY FIRST COURSE ON THIS SITE AND WAS TRULY AMAZING

By Bimlendra r

Aug 12, 2019

Teacher is really good in teaching an imparting the idea...............

By vernon

Aug 11, 2019

Excellent work by Dr.Kathryn Wingate. This course has been very well planned and methodically executed. Challenging Quiz's and great examples. Hoping to learn more!

By Vinoth J A

May 08, 2019

This Course is a great Learning Resource in the field of Mechanical Design.

By Miguel E R C

Aug 18, 2019

Es algo de nivel intermedio muy claro.

By Jayendra B

Sep 08, 2019

it gave me a new prospective in seeing the problems.

By Ahmed S

Sep 18, 2019

Danke Sehr

By RAKESH K

Sep 04, 2019

very useful course

By Venkata S G

Dec 18, 2018

Very good course to refresh the fundamentals of machine design. Course content is lucid and quiz's are also very impressive. I am looking forward to enroll the next course of the series.

By ChandBasha S

Dec 31, 2018

This course was good, I enjoyed learning topics like Number designation of metals, Static and Fatigue Failure and their theories, Stress concentration Factors, Endurance, Life of Rotation of parts. We can even learn lot more things which are mandatory for every Design engineer.

By MANOJKUMAR A

Jan 27, 2019

Course is very useful for intermediate level. People have to know certain basic calculations like bending moment, shear stress, etc. Presenter has good knowledge about materials. Because of that she is clear in communication and making it easy to understand. Course provides a good refreshment about static and fatigue failures. Hope it will be an additional star in everyone's resume.

By Muhammad S K

Feb 02, 2019

This course was really great for me. I learned a lot about the basic of Machine design and looking for to contribute in part 2 & 3

By Priyanka F P

Feb 12, 2019

A good technical course!

By Juan P G

Feb 14, 2019

It has been very useful to recall this knowledge.

By Syed A A S

Mar 06, 2019

This course of machine design from Georgia Tech is a nice combination of revising the concepts of material properties, design and temperature considerations, design theories for static and dynamic loading situations for a safe design. The instructor knows her domain and my time went well. Thanks to Georgia Tech. and Coursera platform for the effort.

By Daniel L

Mar 13, 2019

I enjoyed the practical and summarized approach (both static and fatigue failure). I would have liked developing skills about the aluminum and composite parts, materials commonly used in aeronautics.

Thank you very much for your involvement in these e-learning courses

By shyam m s

Oct 07, 2018

good explain skill

By juan a c b

Aug 26, 2017

very important for mechanical engineering, for keep in mind all the topics of strength and stress.

By Gary U

Dec 23, 2016

A good introductory course to gain an appreciation of some of the theory and techniques that goes into designing mechanical systems in our modern world. Real world cases are discussed, and I have become aware of some of the failure mechanisms in airplanes and in the body skeleton, so I am a bit more leary of taking airplane flights , and not jumping off high places while twirling. You need to be familiar with basic theory of stress and strain before taking this course, there is a series of courses available on Coursea as pre-requisite. The way the quizzes are scheduled makes it advantageous to watch the videos early in the week and take the quiz as soon as possible, since you get only one attempt every 24 hours. Enjoyed the course.