Back to Machine Design Part I

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Machine Design Part I by Georgia Institute of Technology

“Machine Design Part I” is the first course in an in-depth three course series of “Machine Design.” The “Machine Design” Coursera series covers fundamental mechanical design topics, such as static and fatigue failure theories, the analysis of shafts, fasteners, and gears, and the design of mechanical systems such as gearboxes. Throughout this series of courses we will examine a number of exciting design case studies, including the material selection of a total hip implant, the design and testing of the wing on the 777 aircraft, and the impact of dynamic loads on the design of an bolted pressure vessel. In this first course, you will learn robust analysis techniques to predict and validate design performance and life. We will start by reviewing critical material properties in design, such as stress, strength, and the coefficient of thermal expansion. We then transition into static failure theories such as von Mises theory, which can be utilized to prevent failure in static loading applications such as the beams in bridges. Finally, we will learn fatigue failure criteria for designs with dynamic loads, such as the input shaft in the transmission of a car....

ZZ
Feb 16, 2017

The course was a concise and effective review of major concepts. The concepts were well explained and the lessons practical. I have a better understanding of fatigue failure as a result of this class.

SG
Jun 11, 2017

Thank you so much. I liked your teaching style.You gave me a clear understanding about each and every topic covered in this course.I enjoyed the learning.Hope we will be in touch for further courses.

51 - 75 of 445 Reviews for Machine Design Part I

By SAYOOJ P

Aug 8, 2020

This course was really wonderful.After this course I got alot of knowledge and ideas about machine design and what all things we need to consider while selecting a material for design etc.Each classes was really helpful and informative for me.I really enjoyed this course

By Dhandhukia J

Aug 1, 2020

the Best Course Ever. Explained Everything with details and explained very easily. I have become the fan of this course. The explanation was outstanding. I hope i get lot more courses like this from Coursera as well as Georgia Institute of Technology. Thank You so Much.

By Raúl M S

Sep 12, 2020

Excellent course about fundamentals of fatigue and mechanical components design. Well organized and perfectly explained. The duration of each video is perfect. Quizzes are also very useful. I strongly recommend this course and her great teacher. Thank you from Spain.

By Dnyandeep M

Aug 9, 2017

I am very grateful, that I got this chance of completing this course. Dr. Kathryn Wingate was very persuasive throughout the course and the way she taught is completely commendable. I got the complete knowledge about the machine design process with all minute detail.

By Ramajigalu M P

Feb 18, 2018

I brushed up my basics by taking this course. Dr.Wingate's teaching was to the point. It was easy to understand. The quiz made me to apply the my theoretical knowledge to solve problems. Case study made us relate the theoretical problems to the real life problems.

By rahmi

Feb 8, 2018

The Machine Design Part I covers a huge amount of basic concepts/theories in a short time.It was very useful to get a clear understanding of engineering design. Dr. Kathryn Wingate used a clear language and I appreciate her. I am looking forward to MD Part II. :)

By Rob I

Jun 11, 2017

Excellent course. Well taught and presented, I very much like the format. It would be good to get course notes rather than taking screenshots. I would also prefer if the answers given were exact and not rounded as this has confused me throughout. Thanks very much.

By Joylene H D

Jun 28, 2019

Great course. Helps brush up previous knowledge on Strength and Mechanics of materials. Although one thing id like them to improve is certain values being assumed in solving problems in worksheets for fatigue. Great course though. Waiting for Part 2 and 3.

By Suchita C B

Hello, I liked the course, the content and the teaching style is very good. And I got my certificate also. But the professor's signature is not very clear in fact, it is very blurred.

I would appreciate if it can be mended in the certificate.

Thanking you.

By José D P C

Feb 28, 2020

Muy buen curso, me resulto demasiado útil, me sirvió para ampliar mi visión en el diseño de sistemas mecánicos, el material proporcionado complementado con la teoría sirve de guía para complementar los análisis que se desarrollan cuando se esta diseñando.

By Ángel A B

Jan 21, 2017

Great course that reviews different faliure modes of mechanical components, from static failure of ductile and brittle materials to fatigue failure. The practical approach to the subject provides a very useful toolset for the design of machine components.

By Tanuj N

Sep 18, 2018

Dr. Kathryn Wingate, is a great teacher, the course was amazing it helped me building concept & clearly understanding them, Quiz & Worksheet helped me in revision & deep understanding.

I would like to thank Dr. Kathryn Wingate & Coursera team.

Thanks.

By Ankit S

May 8, 2020

I very much loved the course.

I have 1 suggestions for the course.

If the xourse includes 1,2 times of components like knuckle joint or screw javk or cotter joinr etc, it would help the students to study the application of these failure theories.

By Charan T

Dec 30, 2019

the course is well made and presented, the questions can be harder but its great for revising the fundamentals.please add more parts and make it as a specialization.i loved the case studies a lot.loved the way professor Wingate taught the course.

By Dhruvil P

Jul 31, 2017

This course really help me to enhance my knowledge about machine design and material selection. I hope this course is beneficially to all those who are pursuing their graduation in technical field especially for mechanical engineers.

By Shouvik B

Jun 30, 2018

Concepts were nicely touched upon. The course material really helped me to get an in depth understanding of the fundamentals of machine design at an introductory level. Th quizzes were exciting and helpful too. THANKS COURSERA AND DR. WINGATE.

By Gajjar D

Mar 12, 2019

It's very nice xperiance of learning Machine design fundamentals in very deep and now i can think much higher end also the quality of assignment is upto the mark what i expected. it was a nice experince learning with Dr. Kathryn Wingate.

By Massimo Z

Apr 24, 2020

As an Italian student, here we study a lot of theory and spend very little time on exercise and practice. I enjoy so much to go straight to the point and be able in a short amount of time to understand and solve problems.

Thank's a lot.

By Carolina A

Apr 18, 2020

Very good course both for Mechanical Engineering Undergraduates and Postgraduates (to refresh knowledge). Principles of static and fatigue failure are well explained and the exercises are very useful to complete the learning process.

By Sahib S M

Sep 17, 2017

Dear Dr. Wingate, I thoroughly enjoyed this course as well as your method of teaching. I learnt a lot by completing this course and will be enthusiastically waiting for its next parts. Thanks a lot mam for this wonderful learning.

By RAVICHANDRA

Feb 18, 2018

i enjoyed being the part of this course. dr wingate explained the fundamentals in very clear format. the case studies in the course brought some more interest towards the subject. planning to take some more courses form coursera.

By Juan G

Oct 8, 2020

This course is really thorough and covers the main topics that are needed to consider when designing. Overall, I really enjoyed this course and I recommend it to anyone that is passionate about design and mechanical engineering.

By kashyap u

Jul 20, 2020

The course module was excellent.The way of teaching was superb and including case study in this course gave create a interest in it.A new way of design analysis and its failure solution was the best part learnt from this course

By Morales E

Jun 9, 2018

This is one of the best Machine Design Courses that I've ever taken, The professor is very professional and I've learnt more than my university course. I'm very excited and I'll wait for the 3rd and 2nd parts, Thanks a lot of!!

By Bhavik

Jun 27, 2017

It was a very good course.Main thing is that it can be improved by going through the derivations of the various theory in order to understand its applications and limitations better.I hope to take part in Machine Design Part 2