Back to Machine Design Part I

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Machine Design Part I by Georgia Institute of Technology

“Machine Design Part I” is the first course in an in-depth three course series of “Machine Design.” The “Machine Design” Coursera series covers fundamental mechanical design topics, such as static and fatigue failure theories, the analysis of shafts, fasteners, and gears, and the design of mechanical systems such as gearboxes. Throughout this series of courses we will examine a number of exciting design case studies, including the material selection of a total hip implant, the design and testing of the wing on the 777 aircraft, and the impact of dynamic loads on the design of an bolted pressure vessel. In this first course, you will learn robust analysis techniques to predict and validate design performance and life. We will start by reviewing critical material properties in design, such as stress, strength, and the coefficient of thermal expansion. We then transition into static failure theories such as von Mises theory, which can be utilized to prevent failure in static loading applications such as the beams in bridges. Finally, we will learn fatigue failure criteria for designs with dynamic loads, such as the input shaft in the transmission of a car....

ZZ

Feb 17, 2017

The course was a concise and effective review of major concepts. The concepts were well explained and the lessons practical. I have a better understanding of fatigue failure as a result of this class.

SG

Jun 12, 2017

Thank you so much. I liked your teaching style.You gave me a clear understanding about each and every topic covered in this course.I enjoyed the learning.Hope we will be in touch for further courses.

301 - 325 of 350 Reviews for Machine Design Part I

By Sunny M

Feb 07, 2020

I'm giving 4 stars based on this course specifically, matter will different if considered never coming part 2. this course did not include any machine elements but was very good with failure classes both static and fatigue. I really need the part 2 or a different course as DESIGN OF MACHINE ELEMENTS, which would include gears, gear trains, clutches, brakes, etc.

(I left one star because i felt content wasn't enough)

By Ojas P B (

Apr 16, 2020

This course has added considerably to my knowledge of machine design. The course is designed very well and covers most of the topics in machine design. All the topics are discussed in adequate depth. This course is like a refresher with some added topics which you might not have studied. I would recommend this anytime to a mechanical engineer. Thank you, Dr. Kathryn Wingate and GaTech.

By MANOJKUMAR A

Jan 27, 2019

Course is very useful for intermediate level. People have to know certain basic calculations like bending moment, shear stress, etc. Presenter has good knowledge about materials. Because of that she is clear in communication and making it easy to understand. Course provides a good refreshment about static and fatigue failures. Hope it will be an additional star in everyone's resume.

By Syed A A S

Mar 06, 2019

This course of machine design from Georgia Tech is a nice combination of revising the concepts of material properties, design and temperature considerations, design theories for static and dynamic loading situations for a safe design. The instructor knows her domain and my time went well. Thanks to Georgia Tech. and Coursera platform for the effort.

By KHODABUCCUS M M

Nov 08, 2017

Overall course quality, approach and content were satisfying. i enjoyed doing this course. it helped me understand some critical factors i need to consider in the mechanical engineering field as far as design of a component is concern.

Looking forward to do more courses in Coursera to increase my knowledge.

By Daniel L

Mar 13, 2019

I enjoyed the practical and summarized approach (both static and fatigue failure). I would have liked developing skills about the aluminum and composite parts, materials commonly used in aeronautics.

Thank you very much for your involvement in these e-learning courses

By Felipe W

Dec 22, 2016

Es un muy buen curso para comprender los conceptos generales en el diseño mecánico, me gustó el enfoque que se le dio a los módulos de fatiga.

Aunque en algunos momentos faltaba un poco más de detalle en la explicación de los módulos.

By Bharath

Jan 30, 2018

A full fledged view on machine design.

I being an average learner learnt a lot in Machine design through this course. The user interface and lectures are really great! I wanted to thank Dr. Katheryn for her support.

By Simon L

Aug 22, 2017

Give it a 4 top notch, the examples where explicit quite challenging needed some nimble thinking and prompt responces. Just the Discussion forum was a bit biased and the questions where somehow not understood

By Vijayaram M

Jul 02, 2020

It is really a good course to revise and go out through the basics.But the most annoying part is that the change of the title and the corrections btw the videos and my suggestion is to change it.

By Venkata S G

Dec 18, 2018

Very good course to refresh the fundamentals of machine design. Course content is lucid and quiz's are also very impressive. I am looking forward to enroll the next course of the series.

By Brian L

Jun 13, 2018

Very clear in objectives and to the point when discussing problems. Lectures are not spent deriving formulas but discussing meaningful and insightful problems for the practical engineer.

By Nissan G

Dec 28, 2017

A great intro course to basic failure theories and more engineering analysis skills. There are lots of worksheets and if you do them all you'll gain from this course.

By Benjamin D

Jul 07, 2018

Very well explained and well paced. Sometimes instructor's answers are wildly different from your own because she uses exact numbers but only writes rounded numbers.

By MURAT O

Mar 30, 2020

The main reason to take this course was to improve skills on fatigue design and it was helpful. Still part 2 is not offered, which is the reason why I rate 4 stars.

By Rajadurai N

Aug 06, 2017

Great! First time I hear about Ashby plots and love the case study method. Dr.Wingate was excellent in conveying the concept throughout the course!

By Syed T H A

Sep 08, 2017

Very helpful course with comprehensive overview of design and techniques in Engineering Design. Beautifully designed course.

By Chirag D

Jun 21, 2020

Dr. Kathryn has made this course very easy to understand and comprehensible. Thank you for your contribution Prof!

By MOHAMMAD A K

Jun 30, 2019

I enjoyed the course. It was an amazing experience to learn concepts one by one in small- small videos.

By juan a c b

Aug 26, 2017

very important for mechanical engineering, for keep in mind all the topics of strength and stress.

By yusuf M A N

Dec 14, 2019

it's very good course i learn i know yhings i have never see it before

By Luigi C

Apr 19, 2020

Good course. I have really enjoyed it. Looking forward for Part II.

By Joshua K

Dec 28, 2016

Great look at fatigue failure. Looking forward to Parts II, III, etc

By Sarmad

Oct 27, 2019

Some more complicated and industry related problem should be added.

By Ashish D

Jun 09, 2020

very helpful course with great examples and interesting quiz.