Back to Machine Design Part I

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Machine Design Part I by Georgia Institute of Technology

“Machine Design Part I” is the first course in an in-depth three course series of “Machine Design.” The “Machine Design” Coursera series covers fundamental mechanical design topics, such as static and fatigue failure theories, the analysis of shafts, fasteners, and gears, and the design of mechanical systems such as gearboxes. Throughout this series of courses we will examine a number of exciting design case studies, including the material selection of a total hip implant, the design and testing of the wing on the 777 aircraft, and the impact of dynamic loads on the design of an bolted pressure vessel. In this first course, you will learn robust analysis techniques to predict and validate design performance and life. We will start by reviewing critical material properties in design, such as stress, strength, and the coefficient of thermal expansion. We then transition into static failure theories such as von Mises theory, which can be utilized to prevent failure in static loading applications such as the beams in bridges. Finally, we will learn fatigue failure criteria for designs with dynamic loads, such as the input shaft in the transmission of a car....

ZZ

Feb 17, 2017

The course was a concise and effective review of major concepts. The concepts were well explained and the lessons practical. I have a better understanding of fatigue failure as a result of this class.

SG

Jun 12, 2017

Thank you so much. I liked your teaching style.You gave me a clear understanding about each and every topic covered in this course.I enjoyed the learning.Hope we will be in touch for further courses.

51 - 75 of 383 Reviews for Machine Design Part I

By Carolina A

Apr 18, 2020

Very good course both for Mechanical Engineering Undergraduates and Postgraduates (to refresh knowledge). Principles of static and fatigue failure are well explained and the exercises are very useful to complete the learning process.

By Sahib S M

Sep 17, 2017

Dear Dr. Wingate, I thoroughly enjoyed this course as well as your method of teaching. I learnt a lot by completing this course and will be enthusiastically waiting for its next parts. Thanks a lot mam for this wonderful learning.

By RAVICHANDRA

Feb 18, 2018

i enjoyed being the part of this course. dr wingate explained the fundamentals in very clear format. the case studies in the course brought some more interest towards the subject. planning to take some more courses form coursera.

By kashyap u

Jul 20, 2020

The course module was excellent.The way of teaching was superb and including case study in this course gave create a interest in it.A new way of design analysis and its failure solution was the best part learnt from this course

By Morales E

Jun 09, 2018

This is one of the best Machine Design Courses that I've ever taken, The professor is very professional and I've learnt more than my university course. I'm very excited and I'll wait for the 3rd and 2nd parts, Thanks a lot of!!

By Bhavik

Jun 27, 2017

It was a very good course.Main thing is that it can be improved by going through the derivations of the various theory in order to understand its applications and limitations better.I hope to take part in Machine Design Part 2

By Oscar F M

Feb 20, 2017

Dr. Kathryn Wingate provides a thorough explanation. The course is very interesting! The practice of making entire video in form of notes is very efficient for a student to grasp everything the teacher wants to convey.

By Redouane L

Jan 20, 2020

Thank you Dr Kathryn and Georgia institute for this amizing cours, i enjoyed the journey of learning with Dr Kathryn, i had many new informations and techniques about machine design, i'm waiting for the second part.

By Ekamjot S T

Mar 24, 2020

From material selection to variable stresses, it was step-to-step progress, which elevated my learning for the desired course easily. It was very good experience and I hope that you will be able to learn a lot too.

By Tran L H

Nov 23, 2019

An interesting and informative course, providing some fairly advanced skills based on basic knowledge and understanding of the Engineering courses. Highly recommend for people wanting to expand their skillset

By Zach

Feb 17, 2017

By kali v p

Aug 30, 2017

I would highly recommend this course for all Mechanical Design Engineers. It helps us how to approach Design calculations involved in designing Mechanical objects subjected to different kinds of loads.

By Theófilo M d N d S

Feb 18, 2020

I'm really grateful for the opportunity of learning from a high quality intitution and it's professors, i really wish to participate in the next mechanical design course. Tanks alot and best regards.

By SAURABH G

Jun 12, 2017

By yuvaraj c

Jun 27, 2020

I have got knowledge about material and design sequences and ther strength and stress and factor of safety and lot of fatigue detail on materials thank you professor madam for telling this course

By Javier G

Feb 14, 2017

The course present a good explanation of the fundamentals of design in static and fatigue failure. Also the course is well organized with an easy explanation.

Looking forward for parts 2 and 3.

By DR. V B

Course is designed very well. One can learn many important aspects of machine design in a short span of time. Case studies included in the course are very informative and interesting.

By Dave G

Jan 24, 2018

Excellent course, very well presented. Based on techniques used in industry. Couldn't recommend this course enough! I hope Machine Design Part II & III comes along in the near future.

By LUIS F

Apr 08, 2020

It is a great course, you really need to have a great knowledge about the mechanics of materials to better understand the concepts, but you can do it if you have the basic knowledge

By Tejas B

Feb 26, 2019

Loved this course. Very informative and challenging. This course taught me concepts that are usually avoided in my collegeand the ssignments enabled me to get my fundamentals clear.

By Ángel H G

Oct 16, 2018

It is easy to follow the lectures. The didactic content is well organized and the problems during the lectures help to understand and internalise the concepts previously explained.

By Ayush N

Mar 16, 2020

This course was extremely good as my basics were weak and this course helped me to build it up from the foundation. I learned about a lot of new things and in a very calm manner.

By Satnam S

Apr 26, 2020

It is good course for under graduate students and explains the static and dynamic loading in an excellent way. I wish to thank the instructor Dr. Kathryn Wingate for her efforts.

By Muhammad Z N B

May 07, 2020

Enjoyable course. The case studies really helped a lot in understanding real life situations and applications. Waiting for Machine Design part 2 and part 3 from the instructor.

By vinay s

Mar 19, 2017

This course is both intensive and challenging. Dr. Wingate does a fantastic job with real life examples and explaining subtle points that will help get ahead in the weekly quiz.