Back to Machine Design Part I

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Machine Design Part I by Georgia Institute of Technology

“Machine Design Part I” is the first course in an in-depth three course series of “Machine Design.” The “Machine Design” Coursera series covers fundamental mechanical design topics, such as static and fatigue failure theories, the analysis of shafts, fasteners, and gears, and the design of mechanical systems such as gearboxes. Throughout this series of courses we will examine a number of exciting design case studies, including the material selection of a total hip implant, the design and testing of the wing on the 777 aircraft, and the impact of dynamic loads on the design of an bolted pressure vessel. In this first course, you will learn robust analysis techniques to predict and validate design performance and life. We will start by reviewing critical material properties in design, such as stress, strength, and the coefficient of thermal expansion. We then transition into static failure theories such as von Mises theory, which can be utilized to prevent failure in static loading applications such as the beams in bridges. Finally, we will learn fatigue failure criteria for designs with dynamic loads, such as the input shaft in the transmission of a car....

ZZ

Feb 17, 2017

The course was a concise and effective review of major concepts. The concepts were well explained and the lessons practical. I have a better understanding of fatigue failure as a result of this class.

SG

Jun 12, 2017

Thank you so much. I liked your teaching style.You gave me a clear understanding about each and every topic covered in this course.I enjoyed the learning.Hope we will be in touch for further courses.

76 - 100 of 248 Reviews for Machine Design Part I

By Muhammad S K

Jan 07, 2020

This course was really great for me. I learned a lot about the basic of Machine design and looking for to contribute in part 2 & 3

By Sacha P N A R

Sep 21, 2017

Very good course material. Recommend it to every Mechanical Engineer who has several years of work experience as a refresh course.

By Alexander T

Jan 11, 2017

Very good course covering technics that are actually used in aerospace industry. I look forward to seeing the second part.

By Brian M

Mar 05, 2019

The modules were thourough, well organized, and easy to follow. The professor was very good at explaining the concepts.

By Omar A M O

Jan 19, 2019

One of the best professors I have ever had. Clear explanations, covering so much in such a short time, very effectively.

By Felix V

Mar 13, 2018

Thank You!

Very good explanation, simple, easy to understand specially about the bee on fatique lesson.

Thank you again!

By Marco I

Mar 20, 2017

nice course,

topics are presentend efficiently and stimulating excercises help putting theory in practice in a funny way!

By Akil M

Nov 03, 2017

Well researched content. Excellent teaching methodology of the course instructor.

Overall great learning experience.

By Enoch S

Oct 29, 2018

I didn't know so much about fatigue analysis but now, I can explain it really well.Great course for machine design!

By Khondaker t h p

Aug 28, 2018

This course really help me to understand MD part-1.

many many thanks mam...

I need to know about machine design 2 mam

By Franco A

Jun 15, 2017

I appreciate very much the clarity of the explanation and the usefulness of the examples and of the exercizes.

By Janarrtanan J

Apr 19, 2018

Excellent teaching and use of examples and real-world problems/case studies.

Waiting for the other part 2 and 3

By Kavan S

Mar 23, 2017

Exceptional course material along with an outstanding teacher.. Thank you for an amazing learning experience!

By GAURAV K

Jun 17, 2017

A very good introductory course in Machine Design, interesting with lots of real life example and questions.

By Sahil D

Jun 17, 2017

A excellent course for any mechanical or production student.

Thank you so much Coursera and Prof. Wingate !!

By HARI G

Feb 18, 2017

Good course for beginner level in understanding the machine design course. Fatigue related topics was good.

By Vittorio C

Nov 17, 2019

Very clear presentation of failure theory with calculation examples. Awaiting for Machine Design part 2.

By Vinay S

Jan 27, 2018

This is a very comprehensive course on machine design and the instructor is very good with explanation .

By Toukir A C

Mar 17, 2020

Best course with a lot of basic applications of Machine design. But I really want part 2 of this course.

By Noah A G

Apr 07, 2019

It was an absolute joy to learn this course and the practical aspects were very helpful and informative.

By Mostafa A

Mar 19, 2017

Very Good course that concentrates on the key concepts with some case studies that are very interesting.

By Kushal P

Apr 15, 2018

Great for brushing up and solidifying the basics of machine design. Waiting for part II of the course.

By Angel M V

Jun 15, 2018

Was a very good course 100% recomendable, Excellent Teacher, with very good knowledge about of Design

By David H B

Nov 16, 2017

Excelent course. Very useful to review the basics of fatigue.

Hopefully Part 2 & 3 will be published.

By Ahmad I

Mar 27, 2019

Very nice introductory course in Machine design, the two case studies chosen is very informative.