Back to Machine Design Part I

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Machine Design Part I by Georgia Institute of Technology

“Machine Design Part I” is the first course in an in-depth three course series of “Machine Design.” The “Machine Design” Coursera series covers fundamental mechanical design topics, such as static and fatigue failure theories, the analysis of shafts, fasteners, and gears, and the design of mechanical systems such as gearboxes. Throughout this series of courses we will examine a number of exciting design case studies, including the material selection of a total hip implant, the design and testing of the wing on the 777 aircraft, and the impact of dynamic loads on the design of an bolted pressure vessel. In this first course, you will learn robust analysis techniques to predict and validate design performance and life. We will start by reviewing critical material properties in design, such as stress, strength, and the coefficient of thermal expansion. We then transition into static failure theories such as von Mises theory, which can be utilized to prevent failure in static loading applications such as the beams in bridges. Finally, we will learn fatigue failure criteria for designs with dynamic loads, such as the input shaft in the transmission of a car....

ZZ

Feb 17, 2017

The course was a concise and effective review of major concepts. The concepts were well explained and the lessons practical. I have a better understanding of fatigue failure as a result of this class.

SG

Jun 12, 2017

Thank you so much. I liked your teaching style.You gave me a clear understanding about each and every topic covered in this course.I enjoyed the learning.Hope we will be in touch for further courses.

76 - 100 of 230 Reviews for Machine Design Part I

Jan 31, 2018

THIS IS AN AMAZING COURSE, THANKS FOR HELP US TO IMPROVE OUR KNOWLEDGE

By Niklas W

Jan 09, 2018

It's not a very "heavy" course (I completed it in 5 evenings, spent about 3-6 hrs per week, but I learned most of what's in the course several years ago - I took this mostly as a refresher - your time requirements may vary) but it is very good for what it is. If you have the basic knowledge needed prior to starting the course, e.g. a basic grasp of materials, strength/strain etc, it's a quick way to learn some methods and formulas that will be useful in real life design work. Dr. Wingate does a good job explaining it all.

By Vivek K

Jan 14, 2018

very nice and benifitng course

By Aditya S

May 17, 2018

Absolutely Loved the Course . Looking forward to Machine Design Part 2 and 3

By PRABHAT K

Feb 01, 2017

Dear teacher… you are the best because you brought out the best in us.

By Alejandro M G

Mar 28, 2017

Muy bueno, explica todo muy claro. Amplia mente recomendable

By José M M G

May 28, 2017

This is a very dynamic and easily followable curse that allows you to review quickly the basis of the machine design. I´m really satisfied with it

By Mohamed M I

Oct 17, 2017

Very interesting course, but unfortunately I don't have time ((

By Xin S

Feb 15, 2018

Great course! I learned a lot of examples, and this course help me to make some concepts clear. It's very useful. It will help me to calculate when I am working.

By Mosab S

Dec 02, 2017

very nice course magnificent doctor

By fady m

Jan 25, 2018

Many thanks to you , appreciate your efforts and time .

By Janarrtanan J

Apr 19, 2018

Excellent teaching and use of examples and real-world problems/case studies.

Waiting for the other part 2 and 3

By Sergio G

Sep 05, 2017

to do

By Taninki v v k

Apr 15, 2017

These course gave me brief idea about the machine design.And the teaching is great.I hope these is best place for learning and gaining knowledge.

By David H B

Nov 16, 2017

Excelent course. Very useful to review the basics of fatigue.

Hopefully Part 2 & 3 will be published.

By Dnyandeep M

Aug 09, 2017

I am very grateful, that I got this chance of completing this course. Dr. Kathryn Wingate was very persuasive throughout the course and the way she taught is completely commendable. I got the complete knowledge about the machine design process with all minute detail.

By Borys U

Oct 30, 2017

Great course, gave me a lot. Looking forward for subsequent parts.

By Christopher A N

Mar 30, 2018

It's very useful if you want to review the machine design content.

By Mohamed S M

Feb 10, 2018

By Vinyas R

Feb 14, 2017

Course content was really good. looking forward for next parts

By Adrian R