Back to Machine Learning

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Machine Learning by Stanford University

Machine learning is the science of getting computers to act without being explicitly programmed. In the past decade, machine learning has given us self-driving cars, practical speech recognition, effective web search, and a vastly improved understanding of the human genome. Machine learning is so pervasive today that you probably use it dozens of times a day without knowing it. Many researchers also think it is the best way to make progress towards human-level AI. In this class, you will learn about the most effective machine learning techniques, and gain practice implementing them and getting them to work for yourself. More importantly, you'll learn about not only the theoretical underpinnings of learning, but also gain the practical know-how needed to quickly and powerfully apply these techniques to new problems. Finally, you'll learn about some of Silicon Valley's best practices in innovation as it pertains to machine learning and AI. This course provides a broad introduction to machine learning, datamining, and statistical pattern recognition. Topics include: (i) Supervised learning (parametric/non-parametric algorithms, support vector machines, kernels, neural networks). (ii) Unsupervised learning (clustering, dimensionality reduction, recommender systems, deep learning). (iii) Best practices in machine learning (bias/variance theory; innovation process in machine learning and AI). The course will also draw from numerous case studies and applications, so that you'll also learn how to apply learning algorithms to building smart robots (perception, control), text understanding (web search, anti-spam), computer vision, medical informatics, audio, database mining, and other areas....

SW
Nov 8, 2020

Excellent course, highly mathematical overview of how introductory machine learning models work. Thanks to Andrew Ng for putting together a lot of great material and challenging quizzes and exercises.

TD
Oct 30, 2021

Thank you very much for the excellent lectures. I am just wondering about the back propagation algorithm. When we calculate the errors backward, why do we use matrices theta instead of their inverses.

176 - 200 of 10,000 Reviews for Machine Learning

By Miklós L

Jan 15, 2019

Amazing class, great lecturer. A really good introduction and overview of machine learning concepts. It often skips the detailed mathematical background, to make it accessible for a wider audience, but I still found that enough information was given that allowed me to work out these details on my own. A lot of effort was put into creating the programming assignments, they provide a great hands-on experience with machine learning algorithms.

By Sara L

Feb 27, 2021

By far the best course you find online to learn the fundamental and math behind machine learning. Despite my hectic life and work schedule, I am grateful and so glad that I took the time to complete this course including all programming assignments and quizzes. I highly recommend this course for anybody who wants to build a strong foundation on AI science and has a sound understanding of linear algebra and some programming experience.

By Antonio R

Jul 23, 2020

Although this is an introductory Machine Learning course, it covers all the important aspects and all the common algorithms, the programming skill is not so necessary with Matlab, a production-ready software, or its free software clone Octave, even if it is needed GPU acceleration. This course was much easier than I expected, even considering the lack of unnecessary mathematical theory, it was teacher Andrew Ng who made it possible.

By Sparsh K

Aug 23, 2020

Hello this is Sparsh kaushik and i just completed my ML course offered by Stanford.

To be honest this course offered exactly what i was looking, a proper Introduction into the world of Machine Learning.I really appreciate the efforts of prof Ng for making this course and all the mentors who guided me throughout the course.

Overall this course is a must if you are new to ML and want to dive into this beautiful word of data.

By Varadharaj P

Dec 31, 2020

This is the most interesting course that I had ever taken. I want to thank my tutor Andrew Ng for teaching those wonderful things. This course even changed my career path and also made me superior to my teammates by knowing these cool stuff. I have also designed some applications using the concepts I had learned in this course. Lastly I am grateful to my tutor @Andrew_Ng for make profession life more fruitful.

By Alexander H

Apr 22, 2021

This course teaches the fundamentals of Machine Learning very well. Although the use of Octave can be questioned, the exercies generally served as a good addition to the lecture videos. Aside from minor complaints like not editing mistakes from the videos in some occasions, i am very satisfied with this course! Perhaps Prof. Ng could reshoot the lecture videos to improve the video quality in the future.

By Harshit A

Jan 13, 2019

This course is a really amazing and well taught course.Andrew sir is really a very good teacher and he made the complex topics quite easy to understand with his cool examples.Moreover, the optimization techniques and advises given for debugging or improving the machine learning program were really helpful. I hope I can take full advantage of this course and build up a career in machine learning.

By Yan S

Dec 5, 2020

Fabulous course for starters of machine learning.

Even without a solid foundation of linear algebra, calculus, statistics, one can still have a good sense of machine learning by professor Andrew's patient teaching. And the coding exercises helps me a lot in comprehending some concepts that are unclear when watching the videos.

Sincere gratitude for the teacher Andrew. Real respect.

By Shashank S

Sep 9, 2019

This course was splendidly awesome. I am in my final year from grade C engineering college in New Delhi, India. This course helped me a lot to understand about the basics and gave me deep understanding about the field. Thanks to Andrew NG Sir who made this great website for students like us and such an best class content. Highly Recommended to all!

Thank You!

By Pankaj R

Apr 19, 2020

Great Course to start with Machine Learning. All algorithms and technical expects are covered and explained in detail. Assignments are well framed and gives you a proper intuition on algorithms use and performance on real world data. Also appreciate the advise on debugging and optimizing algorithms on small test examples, before running on large data sets.

By Nick M

Jul 12, 2021

I am currently a PhD student in math. Over the years, I have spent countless hours using many different online resources to learn many different subjects. I can confidently say that this course was, by far, the best online resource I have ever used. Thank you Professor Ng for putting so much work into carefully explaining these complex topics!

By Asmita P

Apr 8, 2019

Hi Andrew,

I liked this machine learning course so much. I enjoyed doing all the assignments. I am working in IT industry. I was thinking of working in a new age technology and then my brother told me about this course as I love maths and programming.

I am looking forward to get deep knowledge in machine learning.

Asmita Patil

By Eshaan D

Jul 28, 2021

Amazing course for beginners who love challenges. Certain parts of course require lots of thinking and advanced math skills, and others are so complex that you just have to trust the teacher with it. But, in the end, you learn a very practical and useful skill that you can use to improve your and others' everyday life.

By Panu M

Jan 2, 2019

Very eye-opening for a person with a very little knowledge of the aspects and maths behind machine learning. The exercises were somewhat difficult since it's been 15 years since my last maths class and I really haven't been doing it since. So a lot of effort really needed, but once you've done it, it feels great!

By Demir C

Jul 27, 2020

I loved this course. Loved the way of teaching and how well structured it was. I can only recommend using the programming test cases when doing the exercises. I wanna thank Prof. Ng and the Tutors of this course. It has been a great experience. If I had the choice, I would purchase this course again, no doubts!

By Mehdi A

Jun 5, 2020

There are a lot of courses about Machine Learning, but this one is very comprehensive and it also goes deep to the theoretical base, so you do not rely on ready-made libraries, rather you have to write your own code in GNU Octave. I highly recommend this course for everyone who wants to do ML as her career.

By BS

Sep 22, 2019

Great comprehensive way to break into machine learning as a subject. I feel confident that this has provided the foundation I need to further explore the subject either by reading up on new topics in the machine learning area or thinking about how to apply machine learning concepts to my personal projects.

By ASIF N

Jun 6, 2019

Found this course extremely useful to build up the basics of machine learning and its application on the real world. Quizzes and programming exercises were very helpful and apt. Enjoyed a lot while learning these complex algorithms. Thank you Andrew sir and the Course Era team for creating this course.

By Werner A

Jan 10, 2020

It was my first time, that I have to come in contact with machine learning. This course helped me pretty much to understand the basic problems. It was a very good introduction, very well explained by Prof. Andrew Ng and I can realy recommend doing this class not only for beginners. Thanks for that!

By Philipp T K

Feb 14, 2021

Fantastic introduction to various aspects of Machine Learning. I particularly liked that Prof. Ng shared a lot of practical tips for real-world ML applications beyond just the technical content. It's partly due to this that the course is still up to date ten years after it was first released.

By Yang M

Aug 14, 2018

Majored in actuarial science so machine learning is not a new word to me. Some of the techniques are very simple such as linear regression. Andrew is so clear and organized which helps me figure out a line in between. The projects are pretty easy but sometimes need plenty of time to debug.

By Paul P

Apr 14, 2021

This course was fantastic! I can honestly say that I learned more in this course than any course that I have ever taken. It was challenging, but doable with time and effort and well worth it! I would recommend this course to anyone interested in a rigorous foundation in machine learning.

By Pandavula A

Aug 3, 2020

Awesome course,

Before completing the course I was lacking in the concepts and if I refer any documentation or some opensource I couldn't understand it well. After completing the course I'm familiar with the algorithms and I understood all the concepts very well.

Thank you Andrew NG.

By Liesbeth v O

Jun 6, 2019

If you want to learn how to apply machine learning in a wide range of practical settings, this is the course to take! Professor Andrew Ng obviously put a lot of time and care into developing this course and preparing the excercises to provide you with a really smooth learning curve.

By Megil P

Mar 16, 2019

Tried different youtube tutorials before, but this course was the one, that gave me true understanding about machine learning and how it basically works. I'll always recommend this course to start a machine learning journey! Thanks to Andrew NG for this course and for his effort!