Back to Magic in the Middle Ages

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Magic in the Middle Ages by Universitat de Barcelona

Magical thought has always attracted human imagination. In this course we will introduce you to the Middle Ages through a wide conception of magic. Students will have an approach to medieval culture, beliefs and practices from the perspective of History and History of Science. Popular magic, as well as learned magic (alchemy, geomancy and necromancy) will be addressed. Moreover, we will also deal with how eastern practices and texts influenced western culture. In July 2016, the course will contain a brand-new module devoted to astrology. Magic in the Middle Ages offers a captivating overview of medieval society and promotes reflection about certain stereotypes associated with this period. At the end of the course, the students: a) will have overcome the usual prejudices about the Middle Ages, b) will be able to analyze historical documentation from the Middle Ages and recognize the most common patterns of juridical documents regarding witchcraft, and c) will be capable of distinguishing between popular magic and the magic of the learned people; will have a notion of which spiritual practices were allowed in medieval Europe and which ones were related to the devil, and will be aware of the link between a cultural product and the society that produced it. This course is taught in English, although subtitles in English, Catalan and Spanish will also be provided. COURSE SYLLABUS Week 1. Introduction to medieval magic (Pau Castell). Week 2. Magic & Heresy (Delfi I. Nieto-Isabel). Week 3. From Magic to Witchcraft (Pau Castell). Week 4. Magic in Islam (Godefroid de Callataÿ and Sébastien Moureau). Week 5. Astrology & Geomancy (Theo Loinaz, Delfi I. Nieto-Isabel, Godefroid de Callataÿ and Blanca Villuendas). © Gemma Pellissa Prades (coord.), Delfi I. Nieto-Isabel and Joana Palau Mumany Magic in the Middle Ages by Gemma Pellissa Prades (coord.), Delfi I. Nieto-Isabel and Joana Palau Mumany is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License....

BW
Mar 23, 2018

Helpful and insightful. I try to learn as much about witchcraft and all religions as I can. The first set of videos were well lit and well read. I recommend this for anyone who wants to learn more.

NM
Jul 14, 2020

This course was really thorough and interesting. I liked how it covered a range of religions and regions and I think it's great how there are interactive assignments which judge out writing.

351 - 375 of 424 Reviews for Magic in the Middle Ages

By Yeşim D Ç

Sep 17, 2020

The course contents were very clearly explained. Understanding the idea of magic through lots of different examples will be helpful, I believe, in Renaissance drama studies.

By Safari J

Apr 4, 2019

I wanted more information on magic rituals and potions and secrets of the herbs.. I feel like I learnt more about Christianity and Islam. Thank you for the knowledge though!

By Scott B

Feb 22, 2018

Informative, goes to a relatively satisfying depth, provides interaction and is coherent throughout. Helped me as a source for inspiration for a graphic novel I'm writing.

By sindhuja g

Oct 5, 2020

As a student who is doing masters in ENGLISH, this course helped me to understand the role of magic in the middle ages well. Thank You so much for such an amazing course.

By Bea P

Dec 28, 2017

Good course, illustrative and entertaining, and academic at the same time. However, I would have enjoyed some content related to Medieval Norse magic within the syllabus.

By Ben G

Apr 7, 2020

Very interesting topic material covered in great depth. Only comment is that there could be more visual aid during the presentations but overall definitely worth doing.

By Yolanda C L G

Oct 16, 2016

Muchas gracias por este excelente curso.

Sin embargo me pareció aburrido, pues faltaron diagramas, cuadros sinópticos, imágenes

En cuanto a información, muy, muy bueno.

By Luiz E B G

May 12, 2020

It's a great course, with good teachers who explain in a diverse way. I recommend! I loved the experience and I am glad to have accomplished this achievement!

By Siddhi D

Jun 14, 2019

This was an amazing course that completely changed the way I looked at conceptions of medieval magic and astrology and also, was extremely informative.

By Jp C

May 29, 2017

Interesting as the class presents a good, multi-faceted view and description of magic, covering Jewish and Muslim magic too, which was a very good part

By Elisabeth

Aug 23, 2020

Original and different perspective of what students of History are used. I´ve enjoyed the cours, the explanations and the content. Thanks so much

By Gorret F

Feb 28, 2018

Un cours bien présenté avec des enseignants compétents et des vidéos utiles, un dernier module qui pourrait être mieux réalisé ou scindé en deux.

By Margaret H

Sep 28, 2020

This class was very interesting. One star away from the broken links in some things but other than that it was a great first course to take.

By Maria d H

Jun 23, 2019

One of the first courses I've done for a while. I really liked it! It gives some interesting facts that I can impress my friends with.

By Emma T C L A

Sep 14, 2020

The last writing assignment needs updated or additional resource material about blockbooks. The site linked is difficult to naviagte

By Edward B M

Sep 19, 2019

Not quite what I was expectng, but still very interesting.

It does not include any practical instruction in magical techniques.

By Joy S

Jun 3, 2017

kind of fascinating, especially the week on witchcraft. Only give it 4 stars because it's in Spanish and I hate subtitles.

By Mathew P

Dec 4, 2016

The lessons i have learned through the course have taught me to new perspective to the time period. Great study.

By MAR F

Me ha encantado aprender más y tan detalladamente sobre este tema, ha sido muy entretenido y didáctico. Muchas gracias!

By kate m

Jul 29, 2019

The information was really interesting, but at times it was difficult to understand what the instructors were saying.

By Play G

Nov 16, 2020

Very cool course,maybe a bit monotonic but for the most part very nicely done.(I can't give it 4.5 stars so it's 4)

By Hector M

May 31, 2017

Great survey of a fascinating topic! Wish there were more details/depth as it seems we only skimmed the surface...

By Meaghan F

Jan 9, 2017

It was an interesting course and I enjoyed it, though I was hoping for less information about the church.

By Marie S

Mar 25, 2017

3 and a half stars... interesting topic and well presented. A few opportunities to demonstrate learning

By Mary M

Sep 29, 2020

some of it was a little hard to understand and some links didn't open but apart from that it was good