Back to Magic in the Middle Ages

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Magic in the Middle Ages by Universitat de Barcelona

Magical thought has always attracted human imagination. In this course we will introduce you to the Middle Ages through a wide conception of magic. Students will have an approach to medieval culture, beliefs and practices from the perspective of History and History of Science. Popular magic, as well as learned magic (alchemy, geomancy and necromancy) will be addressed. Moreover, we will also deal with how eastern practices and texts influenced western culture. In July 2016, the course will contain a brand-new module devoted to astrology. Magic in the Middle Ages offers a captivating overview of medieval society and promotes reflection about certain stereotypes associated with this period. At the end of the course, the students: a) will have overcome the usual prejudices about the Middle Ages, b) will be able to analyze historical documentation from the Middle Ages and recognize the most common patterns of juridical documents regarding witchcraft, and c) will be capable of distinguishing between popular magic and the magic of the learned people; will have a notion of which spiritual practices were allowed in medieval Europe and which ones were related to the devil, and will be aware of the link between a cultural product and the society that produced it. This course is taught in English, although subtitles in English, Catalan and Spanish will also be provided. COURSE SYLLABUS Week 1. Introduction to medieval magic (Pau Castell). Week 2. Magic & Heresy (Delfi I. Nieto-Isabel). Week 3. From Magic to Witchcraft (Pau Castell). Week 4. Magic in Islam (Godefroid de Callataÿ and Sébastien Moureau). Week 5. Astrology & Geomancy (Theo Loinaz, Delfi I. Nieto-Isabel, Godefroid de Callataÿ and Blanca Villuendas). © Gemma Pellissa Prades (coord.), Delfi I. Nieto-Isabel and Joana Palau Mumany Magic in the Middle Ages by Gemma Pellissa Prades (coord.), Delfi I. Nieto-Isabel and Joana Palau Mumany is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License....

BW

Mar 24, 2018

Helpful and insightful. I try to learn as much about witchcraft and all religions as I can. The first set of videos were well lit and well read. I recommend this for anyone who wants to learn more.

NM

Jul 15, 2020

This course was really thorough and interesting. I liked how it covered a range of religions and regions and I think it's great how there are interactive assignments which judge out writing.

26 - 50 of 398 Reviews for Magic in the Middle Ages

By Vanessa M B

Apr 21, 2020

It was such a great course where I have learned a lot about history, middle ages, religion and a lot of interesting past. I'm thankful to learned with amazing teachers that shared with students their knowledge. I'm so glad to choose this course!

Oct 13, 2020

This course is fascinating. That being said, there are some serious problems with the course.

The two peer reviewed assignments are frustrating. For the first assignment the marking rubric doesn't match the instructions for the assignment. This had been undated in the Discussion Forums by one of the instructors, but those instructions still didn't match the marking rubric. For the second assignment all of the links are broken. Once again you have to hunt around in the Discussion Forums to find working links. It is also annoying to have to beg for someone on the Discussion Forums to please review your essay in order to finish the course. This is necessary because the instructors seem to have completely abandoned the course a year after it was created.

The Week 4 videos are a complete horror show of name dropping authors or books. For instance, try retaining Ibn Khaldun, Ikhwan al-Safa, Ibn Masarra, Jabir ibn Hayyan, Ilm al-mizan, mizan al-huruf, Muhyi al-din Ibn al-Arabi, Ahmad al-Buni, Shams al-ma'arif al-kubra, or Khalid ibn Yazid. Good luck with that Week 4 Quiz!

These problems are extremely unfortunate because they detract from an otherwise excellent course that is full of fascinating material. I highly recommend everyone who has any interest in magic in the middle ages to take this course, but be prepared to work around some very annoying design flaws.

By Rachel E H

Dec 14, 2017

Very interesting and I love that all the information is free if you don't want to pay for a professional certificate. There are still a few spelling errors but this is to be expected I suppose.

By Ana C E N d P

Aug 11, 2020

I loved Magic in the Middle Ages. I would have loved it even more if it had been a bit more focused in actual magical practices (like giving more detail of witches rituals and spells, for example) and since it is a course given by Universitat de Barcelona, a video about magic in the region would've been great too. But overall, this is a super informative course, the teachers were great (Dr. Delfi Nieto didn't need to apologize for her speaking speed, she was my favorite) and I loved how varied the topics were, including magic in different cultures and countries and the history of different practices (the one about astrology is awesome). I 100% recommend taking this course.

By Olena Z

Apr 28, 2019

Thank you for the course, it was interesting and exiting, and it's a pity it ended so quickly. On some topics I would like to get more information, and now I know in what direction to look and which sources to use.

I would also like to see in the text under videos the time, when the illustrations are included in the video. Because my English level is not enough to understand all the lectors speech, I more read text under the video than watch the video itself. And I would like to know at what timestamp I can find the included illustration.

By Thangella S

Oct 13, 2020

I learnt a lot about the medieval ages and the culture. This course was very interesting and informative. I'm thankful to Coursera for having this course and to University of Barcelona for making this amazing course. It is a great course for those who don't have the opportunity to take this subject in your college. The assignments were also interactive and optional videos are also provided for those who are further interested. I felt as if I witnessed the medieval age. One of the best courses on Coursera. Happy learning!

By Holly F

May 20, 2019

A well-organized class that breaks down different attitudes of 'magic' throughout the Middle Ages- with emphasis on the clergy, as well as a unit specifically dedicated to Islamic Magic (which should be a course in itself as there was much to be covered). Much of what was covered was a reinforcement of what I have previously studied as someone who is interested in magic because of my background as an archaeologist and anthropologist- so this was a nice aspect. In sum, it was enjoyable.

By Eris G

Jun 29, 2020

Un curso sumamente interesante, lleno de información y bases que relacionan la evolución de la sociedad, el mundo y la religión bajo una idea central: Magia.

Me encantaria que se profundizara en algunos mitos y creencias populares y la manera en que estos se han adaptado a la religión y a la época.

De igual manera, seria sumamente interesante este tipo de análisis con la perspectiva latinoamericana, Que pasaba en la Nueva España, como eran las creencias mágicas?

By Pamela S

Jun 14, 2017

There was a lot of information that was interesting to me, especially the lesson on Islamic Magic. A new approach for me was using documents from the period to understand the cultural and societal context of the people for magic and superstitions. The subtitles and printed transcript of the lectures came in handy if I had difficulty understanding the spoken word. This was an enjoyable experience for me and I will refer to my notes in the future.

By Justin W

Sep 04, 2016

It was an incredibly interesting and insightful course, which opened up a lot of interesting avenues and ways of looking at medieval magic, the time and people and beliefs. The course was well organized, and the lectures were interesting and easy to follow along. I liked the course work with the quizzes and the written part and peer review as well. Thank you very much for the time and effort that went into this very cool and interesting course.

By Heather w

Apr 27, 2017

loved it but have not received my certificate.

Dear Heather wright,

Thank you for your purchase.

RECEIPT

Order Number: 5419588

Product Details Price Qty

Course Certificate for Magic in the Middle Ages USD 49.00 1

TOTAL (USD): 49.00

Please keep this receipt as record of your payment.

View our refund policy.

View your purchase history.

Happy Learning!

By Diana L

Sep 13, 2016

I have loved this course. Very interesting, informative, intellectually honest and rigorously taught; entertaining, as well. I am grateful for this opportunity. A dilettante in the study of history, I have been delighted to discover the many ways in which this study of magic in the Middle Ages has opened so many doors to a broader understanding of the forces at play in the human experience. Sincerest thanks!

By Feliza G B

Feb 23, 2017

A deeply satisfying course to anyone who is passionate about symbolism, magic and the occult, from a historical and anthropological perspective. The professors are quite passionate about the the subjects in the lectures, and the content is informative and well researched. This course provides a solid framework for finding accurate and objective information on the subject, and learning how to interpret this data.

By joanna_adele@hotmail.com

It was a really interesting course, that offered me a spherical and complete image of that period. Thanks to that course I've learned about the historical facts and personalities of that era, discovered the combination of different cultures not only in europe but also in a Arabic world of the Medieval period and also enriched my "poor" previous knowledges about the whole culture of magic and witchcraft.

By Nazire C

Mar 05, 2017

This course was great! I thoroughly enjoyed my time and the information given in this course. The videos are short, maximum of about 10 minutes, but they're packed. I learned so much of what I had never known before. The videos were well formed and outlined, without leaving the student watching and rewatching the video to understand what was being said. I wish it was longer!

By bluebird S

May 09, 2020

I have always been interested in magic and witchcraft, but have only read standalone books addressing specific periods so I did not have a clear view of its history and the timeline of its development. This course was really helpful and I have learned quite a bit. I'm now intrigued by the Near East and the Islamic point of view on this topic. Thank you. I really enjoyed it.

By Eduardo E M V

Mar 28, 2018

Very interesting course. It give the student a panoramic view of magic and witchcraft in the middle ages specially in the geographic locations of Europe (Spain, France and Italy) and the Arabic domains. I liked very much the course because It let me interact with ancient books and documents and also it let me know about arabic alchemy and some details of arabic Spain.

By Daniel F A

Apr 22, 2017

My ignorance or Magic, middle ages, early religions, is enormous. This course was a huge eye opener. In Stephen Kings novel, 11/22/63 he often writes about things turning on a dime. My brain was just spun like a top on the dime "Magic in the Middle Ages" and I will never be the same again, in a good enlightened way. Thanks to all involved with creating this course.

By Adam J

Sep 03, 2017

This was a lot of fun. I enjoyed the fast pace of the course. The week on magic in Islam was nice to see because it introduced me to an unfamiliar aspect of the age. I particularly enjoyed the Geomancy module and found the general demonstration of the method interesting. Also, the peer graded assignments made me really consider the material in a different context.

By Andres F A G

Mar 25, 2020

Muy recomendado para quienes estén interesados en la historia medieval y la magia. Me pareció agradable, ameno e interesante en todas las temáticas. el módulo adicional de astrología y geomancia también fue grato así como los vídeos opcionales. Tiene una rica bibliografía y los temas son abordados en forma clara, concisa por varios docentes.

By Maria d l A R A

Jun 09, 2020

I really enjoy to take this course. The information was clear, complete and based on an extensive bibliography. The videos were interesting and entertaining. I liked the way of rating the course by peer-graded assignment because it gives you the opportunity to evaluate yourself when you are reviewing you classmates' essays.

By THELMA C S O

Jul 14, 2020

This was a great course that gives a general view of the magic, forms, and perception of it in the Medieval Times in the perspective of History. It is really interesting and gives you better explanation of some aspects of the Medieval Times. It also has good bibliographical recommendations that also recommend to check out.

Dec 31, 2016

This course is super interesting and amazing!! The content is deep and complete. The instructors are engaging. I honestly think is one of the best courses I ever took here. I'm only sorry that they took out some videos available in the last edition and the page external to coursera where they were posted doesn't work =/

By Reetika G

Jan 27, 2017

The course material was quite insightful giving glimpses of what magic was perceived as during the Middle Ages. I particularly liked the material on witchcraft and Astrology. I hope there will be second part to this course! Thank you all the professors and other members of the team. I enjoyed every part of it!

By Melvin R W

Jan 11, 2019

Insightful and entertaining journey into the world of magic in the Middle Ages. It corrected some misconceptions I had and offered new information on changing positions of church and gender as it relates to the material. I especially appreciated the points of view from Judaic, Christian and Islamic faiths.